Fort Myers Relocation

Search

Fort Myers Relocation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fort Myers Relocation

Within the next 6-8 months we will be relocating to Fort Myers. Given we currently live in Michigan and the closest person we know to the area is his aunt who lives in Naples. I need genereal info about neighborhoods. We also have a 4 year old so schools are also important. It seems all the web sites glamourize the area and I know that it is not possible for the whole area to be perfect. Any help is appreciated.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 03:46 AM

Here is a section from the local paper the News-Press, on the various areas in and around Ft. Myers that might be what you are looking for: http://www.news-press.net/community/index.php

South Ft.Myers is probably the fastest growing area with a lot of new building.

But there are many other areas that are very good too, Bonita Beach, Estero, Lehigh Acres (which is building up fast and a little cheaper than the others, and about 25 miles east of Ft. Myers. It's where we live)

It would be nice if you could spend some time here and possibly rent before you make the decision to buy. We did that in early 2001 for 4 months and then bought a lot and decided to build. Hopefully others will be of some help on the schools. I know they are building new ones around us in Lehigh and Lee county, but I don't know how good they are. Let me know if I can be of further help. jagrob1 at earthlink. net
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 04:07 AM

I live in Fort Myers so I'll try to help you. The city of Fort Myers is in transition and might not be for you. Do you know where you will be working?

One of the best communities for families with children is Gateway. There is a wide variety of home styles and prices.

An older community that has quite a few children and has homes that are being renovated is Whiskey Creek. I do not believe they have a website but Realtor.com can find homes in this area under zip 33919.

You are moving to one of the fastest growing counties in the country. It seems like every retailer and restaurant group wants to have a presence here. We have a new airport. We are attracting larger corporations.

Another area with lots of kids is Cape Coral but I'm not sure about the schools there. They have such enormous growth, they are having a hard time keeping up. You also have to deal with bridge tolls and a commute. Again, this all depends on where you will be working.

Fort Myers is not Naples. We are not particularly chic or trendy. We have a midwestern feel but do have lots of things to do. You will feel at home here. LMF (originally from Birmingham, MI)
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 04:11 AM

I didn't preview my reply and notice that my first sentence might mislead you. The city of Fort Myers is actually a small area...much of what is called Fort Myers is unincorporated Lee County and most homes in this area have a Fort Myers address. The Gateway area as well as Whiskey Creek are in this area.

In 3 or 4 years the city of Fort Myers will be transformed. We are moving forward with a city plan that will make the city of Fort Myers a destination for more than the Edison Ford Winter Estates and the Red Sox winter home. LMF
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 04:57 AM

My friend and her husband just bought a house in Cape Coral although they work in Fort Myers. They didn't buy in Fort Myers b/c the real estate has gone though the roof there. However, she said that the market is tapering off somewhat.

I'm not sure about the schools in Cape Coral. They are in their mid-twenties and will not be living in the house long enough to have a child.

I agree that Fort Myers is becoming much more of a destination. There has been a lot of improvement to the downtown area, and the area is trying to attract more younger people.

However, a major problem for employers in the area (they both work for Lee Memorial Hospital) is that they cannot keep salaries in line with the increased cost of real estate. So it's a hard place for people to live that are starting young families (that is, unless the young families are very wealthy).

Another issue that my friend has told me about is the issue of a generational clash when it comes to funding public schools.

Lilmsfoodie probably knows the specifics of this much better than I do, but my friend told me that the massive senior population of Lee County pretty much throws a major wrench in improving the quality of public schools.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. My husband will have his Criminal Justice degree in may. The City of Fort Myers has showed some interest in him and they have been in contact now since August. So I believe he will be at Fort Myers PD and my hope is to get into to a hospital while I work on my degree to become an RN. I have looked into Edison Communty College and it is cheaper there than it is here to attend community college.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 11:44 AM

The Lee County school system is split into zones and then you put your choices in number order and hope for the best. That is how the school system works here.

What would be your price range for homes?

We live in Cape Coral and commute to Ft. Myers over the toll brides and its not that bad.

The weather is very nice year round and there are beautiful beaches and lots of water. And in 2 hours you could visit Miami or Tampa.

Renting an apartment for a while would give you a better idea of which areas you would like.

Whiskey Creek is a nice older home community but would probably be out of the price range for FMPD.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 12:00 PM

Oh and another thing! With his degree he could also look into Florida Highway Patrol (state), Florida Department of Law Enforcement (state), Cape Coral PD or even Lee County SO....All 4 of those are in Lee County.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

We are trying to find a rental home. I have a Doberman that I can not part with. One option is a friend where we currently live owns 3 acres and a home on pine island (along with 2 other properties near Tampa) and she offered to let us stay (for free) while we search.

We have been checking into North Fort Myers or Lehigh Acres so far. I have heard many mixed things about Cape Coral. We were looking in the <$250,000 range, but many have been telling us we will not find a decent home for under $300,000. Although looking on realtor.com I have seen many nice looking homes under 300,000. Just not sure if that means those areas have high crime rates or what.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

He has checked into Cape Coral PD and Lee County Sheriff. All I know is he wants to be a patrol officer. I think State officers need to go through a different academy at least that is how it is up here. Not to sure though I will have hime check into it.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 12:28 PM

You should have no problems with finding a rental home.

What mixed things have you heard about Cape Coral?

You also should have no problem finding a home in that price range in any of the areas you are looking.

Personally I prefer Cape Coral.

What people may mean about housing down here is if you buy a piece of land and build a house yourself.

I dont think areas that have homes for under $300K would mean higher crime either.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

I have heard that Cape Coral has too many people, and silly laws (something about kids outdoor toys) I was thinking this one might be false. On the other hand I have heard that it is very pretty area and close to hospitals, dining, and such.

Hopefully when we go down in April I will get a better idea. This is difiicult for me because I like everything planned and in order with all the facts.

This site has been awesome, it seems up here too many people have biased opinions from their great-aunts sister who lived there...blah, blah, blah. I just think people are jealous because we won't have to deal with 6 months of snow anymore