Fort Lauderdale Accommodation Help Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'll be in Fort Lauderdale from Apr.7 to Apr.20 . Interested in some of the deals I've seen on VRBO but worried about getting ripped off.

Just wondering if anyone has any personal positive experiences or any specific properties they would recommend.

It'll be 2 adults looking to spend about $150 per night, preferably all in. I'd be happy with either a house or condo with a pool that is close to Fort Lauderdale beach. If we get a condo across A1A from the beach an oceanfront view would be preferable.. We will have a car so would consider a house a few blocks from the beach as well.

Thanks so much for any help.
Sadie
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM

If you can find "a house or condo with a pool that is close to FLL beach" or "a condo w/ an oceanfront view" for $150 a night...then...that is amazing! Please let us know where that place is.

You have spoken about "deals" on VRBO. "If it's too good to be true....."
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 07:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://jeffsluxuryrentals.com

Have used him before with excellent results
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Ocean...there are literally hundreds of rental properties available for the price I mentioned on VRBO in and around Fort Lauderdale area. Both privately owned homes & condos. The "too good to be true" concern is the reason I posted here to try and get details on some peoples specific experiences so I won't get "ripped off".

Dukey....no pricing mentioned in the website for the Fort Lauderdale property but it sleeps six and sounds high end so may be outside my budget. I'm sending them an e-mail though.

Any other help out there? I'm sure lots of people have used VRBO for Fort Lauderdale rentals. Your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sadie
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Dukey...minimum stay is a month for the rental you provided the link for so I'm sure the price is 5 or 6 grand.

Thanks though.
Sadie
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Well, good luck & let us know if you find something.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 09:48 AM

You may also want to try the following sites:

www.redweek.com
www.tug2.net

Marriott has a property called Marriott Beach Place Towers in FLL.
And, if you are able to go a little farther north, Marriott has a spectacular oceanfront property called Marriott Ocean Pointe located on the south end of Singer Island ( fly to FLL or PBI. PBI is closer. Only about 20 minutes from Ocean Pointe).
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ocean. I'm going to check out both of those Marriotts as well.

I'm in contact with two owners in the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel through VRBO. The first guy is looking for personal cheque even though his listing says he will accept Visa. The second guy has availability for all my nights except two. His pricing looks like it will be about the same as the first but I'm still waiting for him to confirm the price & payment method. But the fact that he can't give me the full 13 days is actually making me feel more confidant about his listing.

Both listings look very legit with traveller reviews and everything. What are people's take on the personal cheque requirement? If he wants all up front now should I run?

Thanks,
Sadie
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:20 AM

Sadie, personal cheque does not bother me. Whenever I rent TO somebody I require a personal certified cheque. Sometimes I just have their bank manager send the money directly to my bank manager. I am in Canada so "bank to bank" works fine especially if the renter's bank is the same as mine. It is a little more complicated if my renter is in the US but still works fine.( my rental property is in the US.) And, once or twice I have rented FROM somebody and I gave them a personal cheque sent by registered mail so that I have a receipt.

I find actually speaking w/ the owner helps ease your mind. Why don't you give both these guys a call? Also, ask them for references from past renters so that you can speak w/ them. Is that FLL Hilton a Timeshare property? Where exactly is it located?

Your travel dates are April 7-20, 2011. That's only 3 months away. I have paid "upfront" 5 months in advance. But, some people pay a deposit & the balance closer to the occupancy date.

If you are not tied to the FLL area, I wld highly recommend going a little farther north. I like PBI airport a lot more than FLL....smaller, not as busy. FLL is a major cruise ship departure port so you get lots & lots of people flying into/out of FLL b/f & after their cruises.

Ocean
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

I got the same response about the check thing from a poster on tripadvisor as well. I feel a lot better about that now. I think I'm going to go ahead and book in the next couple of days. I noticed I can insure the amount for $49 through VRBO. Looks like it covers fraud/misrep so may be worth it to ease my mind.

I'll have to remember to post back here the end of April and let you know how it worked out. Thanks for your help!
Sadie
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 03:49 PM

Yes, Sadie, please post back & let us know.

Have fun in FLL! Have a drink for me & dinner on the deck/outdoor patio @ Charlie's Crab on the intracoastal!

Ocean