Old Oct 9th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fort Bragg - Coastal Oasis

Here are the basics:

Late March early April

5 nights in a cabin near Fort Bragg

Girls trip!

All originally from the Bay Area although some have moved away. Many of us have been up in the area pleanty of times

but would love a 'Fodorite' take on what we should do with our time.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 12:00 PM

What do you like to do? If you like to walk/hike or bike, there's the "haul road" which runs along the water starting in Fort Bragg (near Glass Beach) and runs up to McKerricher (sp?) and beyond. You could go for a beautiful forest walk/hike/bike in the forest at Jackson Demonstration Forest about 5 miles out hwy 20. There's a great trail at Big River. Or walk along the water in Mendocino.
Or walk amongst tons of sand dunes (& ocean) at Ten Mile Beach (a little bit north of Fort Bragg).
You can rent kayaks at go up Big River.

You could have a picnic at Jug Handle.

You can cruise thru all of the galleries and shops in Mendocino and Fort Bragg.

If you're a creative bunch, you could take an art class at the Mendocino Art Center.

If you're golfers, there's golfing at Little River.

Of course there's the Skunk Train but IMHO, one short ride on that will do ya for quite awhile.

Most of the good restaurants are in Mendocino but in Fort Bragg, The Restaurant, Nit's and Mendo Bistro are pretty good.

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

ya. we like to do all that stuff. Thanks for the suggestions. I would prolly be the only one to golf tho.

Planned for April 1-5.

now we just need to pin down the things to do.

of course from the obvious of drinking wine, and gossiping our fool heads off...
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Don't miss Pacific Star winery 12 mi north of Fort Bragg - the scenery is gorgeous.

Of course, I'm more of a beer girl myself...if you think you can convince the others, North Coast brewery in Fort Bragg is a great spot for a beverage.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 07:50 PM

I like all of xgrl's suggestions but would add the Mendocino Botanical Gardens - they are the best! (It's right between Mendocino and Fort Bragg on Hwy 1).
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all -

There is actually a second fold to this, that I completely forgot about when making the original post.

The boyfriend bought me (us?) a romantic weekend at a B&B in Mendo as well as a recent gift for me. - I haven't figured out when this will take place yet - hoping for sometime not in rainy season.

Now, I'm not the romantic type, (although he is very much so).. for the most part we will prolly golf or drink ourselves silly at the brewery or something, but I would like to come up with one, nice meal location for him and I to enjoy ourselves that is a little romantic. ('cause he'd dig it)

Elnap - the Botanical Gardens are very beautiful.. I spent a ton of time up in this area as a kid, infact there is some link to my grandmother being a Jackson, and the Jackson forrest something or other-- dude, I was like 8 when it was explained, not the stuff you tell an 8 yr old and expect them to retain for longer than say 15 minutes.. oh! look a squirrel... :0)

Anywho, I know the where abouts and have experienced much of this and love the info I've gotten so far.. I really apprecaite the fresh perspectives and ideas, since the other ladies have not spent the same amount of time treking between the trees as I, and I will enjoy seeing/doing things that I perhaps myself am a little burnt out on still.