For Patrick - Naples restaurant info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Patrick! I just read an article from the Naples News about Dino Trattoria. They gave it a favorable review, and 3 stars. In the article they mention some dishes that were wonderful on the Astoria menu, so I think slowely but surely he is moving the restaurant into that direction. They mention the potatos au gratin (sinfully rich)and the arugula salad with pear, and I can't remember what else at the moment. But they did say the tiramisu looked great even though they were too stuffed to have some. I love his tiramisu, some say it lacks flavor. I prefer the subtle kind. I found the article when I did a google search for the restaurant. Anyway, you might want to give it another chance. Ask for Dino or Nej and tell them Randy & Ellen from NYC sent you. I would love another review from you since my sister will be headed to Naples in a few months and I would like to send her there.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 04:29 PM

Yes, I saw that review, and it was actually done about the same time we went before -- in October. I may go back, but my usual dining partner will refuse to set foot in the place again, so I'll have to find someone else to go with me. Yes, that salad was great, despite the waitress insisting that "arugula" is just the Italian name for spinach. You may prefer the "mild" tiramisu (and it's a minor point to me anyway now that I'm diabetic and avoid those things) but I did find theirs dreadfully dull -- lacking even a hint of espresso or coffee, my favorite thing about the dish, normally.
Maybe I'll return one of these days.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The French call arugala rocket but I hope this lass is not typical of Florida. We, in the states do not train the waitstaff enough to give the customer the dish's identity to a likewise taste.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Actually, cigalechanta, I've always found it called "rocket" in the UK. In France they call it "roquette" (my spelling may be off). In any case, I love the stuff, no matter what it's called, but it is a pretty distant relative tastewise to spinach!
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm agreeing with you.Rocket is Roquette, a common salad green in my house and unlike the bland taste of spinach.