Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

For anyone wondering about Seattle weather....Read this!

Feb 27th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Without sugar coating it, I'll tell you the TRUTH about how the weather is:

We get rain for 9 months straight and it rains about 70% of the time for those 9 months. The rain is usually a drizzle, not pouring rain. The weather can be very gloomy and depressing with very little sunshine. And I have read that apparently the suicide rate is high in this area.

But after those 9 months, we get about 3 months of sunny weather with very little or no rain. These 3 months are approximately around summer time.

Many people can not handle the weather of the Pacific Northwest, and end up moving out.

But while our weather may be gloomy, the scenery and nature is incredible. No doubt the best in the nation. We have beautiful mountains and and evergreen trees everywhere. We have waterfalls, the ocean (Puget Sound), and even beautiful islands.

Now with that being said, this weather is not for everyone and takes so serious getting used to. And like I said before, some people just can't stand it, and end up moving.

So take this into serious consideration if you are planning on moving to the Pacific Northwest.

Feb 28th, 2006, 03:03 AM

Is it true that some of the people who remain have convinced themselves that the weather there is actually "good" and that there aren't comparable evergreen trees anywhere else in the US?
Feb 28th, 2006, 05:04 AM

I was all set to move to the PNW until I thought long and hard about living with all that RAIN. Every time we've visited was in the summer, and it was gloriously sunny. A bit of a bait and switch, eh?
Feb 28th, 2006, 05:58 AM

That's why Bend/Sun River and Grants Pass/Medford/Ashland are so attractive to folks. Sunshine, not endless mist, and Towering mountains and Majestic Forests to boot.
But, ssshhhh, we don't want the secret to get out.
Feb 28th, 2006, 06:09 AM
mms

With Seattle being so rainy, I guess that is why those of us from the ghetto (aka Portland) seem to fit right in
Feb 28th, 2006, 07:07 AM

While red_dog seems to have put himself in charge of the weather in Seattle lately & he has some strong opinions which he is trying to convince us of for some reason... What he says is simply not true.

I live in Seattle, have been here for 20+ years. Here it is the middle of winter and we have had several gloriously sunny days in the past week. The temperatures are mild.

I'm not saying it is not gray and drizzly sometimes, or that a winter vacation in Hawaii or Mexico is not an extremely good idea... because it is, they are.

The only thing I agree with is that some people who do not like the weather move to other places instead. I guess that's probably true enough.

And I'm not even touching the 'suicide rate' comment -lol.
Feb 28th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Well, when you move to Duluth, you'll find pretty much the exact opposite precipatation pattern - but within about 5 inches of the amount of rain in Seattle. I guess it's just a decision about how and when you want to get it - and what you are willing to settle for to get the rain as YOU like it. 5 inches difference isn't that much. We got 3 inches here this week. I'm not going to move to Duluth and those winters just because of 5 fewer inches of rain! Of course, I like Portland too, so what do I know?
Feb 28th, 2006, 07:08 AM

for karens... that is what we tell the californians to keep them from moving here (that it rains all the time)... really, that's a long standing joke in seattle.
Feb 28th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Uh oh, I might have started this whole thing over on the Duluth thread. I could have picked any region and its respective weather deficiency... was by no means picking on Seattle.

I've been to Seattle, and really really enjoyed it. Beautiful greenery, lots of mountains, the Sound. Part of the reason I have such a good opinion of Seattle is that I make a point to go there when it is generally sunny. Would I like it less if I always made a point of going during the rainy season? Probably.

I've been to Duluth, and I really, really enjoyed it. Same logic here - part of the reason I enjoyed it so much is that I went in the summer, when the north shore of Lake Superior is at its best... rugged hikes along a blue freshwater sea... beautiful old-growth trees and wildlife. Would I like it less if I always went during the coldest part of winter? Probably.

In the media, you'll hear about it being -15 in Duluth or raining for 40 straight days in Seattle. But you don't hear about the 70 and sunny days in either place, and believe me, they both have lots of glorious weather too.
Feb 28th, 2006, 07:33 AM

Actually, our suicide rate is quite low compared to other states. It's highest in states with large populations of older people, like Arizona and Nevada. Facts don't seem very important to this poster in general.
Feb 28th, 2006, 07:51 AM
mms

Hazel--Don't think it was you. Click on the OP's name and read the posts and you will see that he/she is just looking to argue.
Feb 28th, 2006, 08:32 AM

I have a very dear friend that lives in Seattle. Yes, it is a very very depressing and rainy city. I need sunshine. I was born and raised and still live in Minnesota. I will take the snow, and cold anytime over constant clouds, rainy and drizzle. We were in Seattle visiting my friend afew years back and all it did was rain. I asked her "how in the world do you handle this?" Well she answered of course by saying "How do you make it through your winters?" lol Guess it is all what you get use to.
Feb 28th, 2006, 08:50 AM

"No doubt the best in the US" is typing reddog?

Well maybe we should everyone pack up and move there straight away then?

Maybe reddog has not lived in another places. For this I could accept her prejudgices I reading here. I can say only we have the best in the USA and I am not telling you where because it is crowding too much now already and we do not have nine months raining.

Do seek truth in all your travels and you will not be washed up, rained out, or wet behind the ears.

AR
Feb 28th, 2006, 08:57 AM

We have only lived in Seattle since 1960, so we may not have the experience of others, but having lived in the midwest and on the east and gulf coasts, we aren't leaving here.
Feb 28th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Indulge me...let me expand on what I posted about living in the northwest.

I have lived in northern Indiana, Boston, Chincoteague, the Outer Banks, Morehead City/Beaufort, New London, Galveston, Panama City, Norfolk, The District of Columbia, and Seattle (Juneau, St. Paul Island, and Okinawa do not count in this discussion). To leave Seattle and return to one of these locations it would have to offer me something I don't have here.

Notice that all of these locations are essentially flat, while out here I have hills, mountains, lakes, and Puget Sound. Each time I crest a hill or come around a bend I will see something different...maybe something beautiful. That's one.

I hate thunderstorms. Seattle averages four a year, while the locations listed sometimes have four a day. I mean rain intensity that defeats windshield wipers and causes me to pull over until the rain has passed accompanied by thunder and lightning. That's two.

I hate flies and mosquitoes, probably because I was tormented by them everywhere I have lived except here. That's three.

I remember baking summers and freezing winters everywhere but here. That's four.

I love Seattle's misty "rain" compared to what I experienced in another life.
Feb 28th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Bobmrg, cut it out! If folks find out that there are
minimal flies and skeeters, we'll be inundated with
massive amounts of midwesterners. Ssshhhh!
Feb 28th, 2006, 10:00 AM

I agree with red_dog on this. Having just visited sunny S. California, I can tell you, unless you can take the grey skies and mist, I'd steer clear of the PNW. Try to make your home a better place to live instead of bringing your problems to the north.
Feb 28th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Boston is not flat. I can tell because I can see a couple of big hills from my window right now. In fact, from my hilltop Waltham office, I can look down on the Boston skyline.
I've lived in Seattle, too, for 10 years. It may have steeper hills and high mountains, but that doesn't make Boston flat.
Feb 28th, 2006, 10:32 AM

seems like a good idea
Feb 28th, 2006, 10:44 AM

I don't know why I'm arguing this one, Seattle is crowded enough as it is! So I'm changing my vote. Yes it is a horribly depressing city where it pours rain night and day all year long. I don't know why anyone would live here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO