Search

Food shopping

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food shopping

Hi -

We will be staying in a condo in Wailea for much of our honeymoon. I believe there is a Safeway nearby where we can do our foodshopping. Is there much of a price difference between that supermarket and the ones near the airport? We figure we will be exhausted from 15 hours of traveling (all total with layovers) and might not be too into foodshopping the night of our arrival.

Thoughts?
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:43 AM

There is no supermarket near the airport, not without you having to go into Kahului, the opposite direction from Wailea. There is a discount grocery store and a natural food store on Dairy Road, but the neither will really suit your neds unless you are looking for organic foods or canned ravioli. If you take the upper highway you will drive right past the Kihei Safeway.
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:10 AM

There is a Foodland in Kihei on your way in from the airport. They'll give you a discount card (if you ask) so you can get some discounts. It's a good place if you just want to run in and grab something.
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Great thanks!

How far a drive are each of these stores from Wailea/Elua Village?
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:25 AM

WOW!! He's making you cook on your honeymoon. My kinda guy. Just kidding.

We love to do the apt/condo thingy when we travel. Get up and have coffee, juice, fruit, etc. without having to get prepared to going out into the world.

Happy Honeymoon!!!
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:32 AM

The best way to get to Wailea is to take the upper highway, Pi`ilani Highway. When you come down Mokulele into Kihei, there will be a stoplight at Mokulele and Pi`ilani and you will see a large brown sign on the left with big white arrows that point towards Wailea and Kihei. Turn left here. Don't go down to Kihei Road. Kihei Road is the road along the beach, it is congested with visitors and beach traffic and the posted speed limit is 20 mph. They do enforce this, by the way. I sat in a parking lot last week and watched the local police targeting speeding rental cars in particular. Follow Pi`ilani around when it ends and then turn left on Wailea Alanui.

Driving tip: When you are browsing through the rack cards for island activities at the airport, look for one called "Helicoptor Tours" with a waterfall on the cover. It is the best driving map of the island I have seen yet, with all of the hotels, condos, shopping center and even restaurants and other things called out on it.

If you take the upper highway when you come and go from Wailea, you will pass Safeway each time. It's just a few minutes from where you are staying. Hilo Hatties and Roys are in the same shopping Center. There is an ABC Store there too, but a bettter ABC Store is on South Kihei Rd, closer to Wailea, just past Keonekai.

You will only pass Foodland if you take Kihei Road, and you are best doing just that--passing Foodland. Their prices overall are higher than Safeway, even with Maka`i card, and the selection is smaller. Their produce is probably the worst in town, and I would never buy seafood from their seafood counter as it smells a bit gamey at times. I do buy Cokes from Foodland when they are on sale though.
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:54 AM

The Safeway on Pi'ilani Highway is newer, larger and nicer than the Kihei Foodland. It can be difficult to spot from the Highway, so pay attention to the street signs. It is about a five to ten minute drive from there to Wailea. You may wish to check out the Crazy Shirts t-shirt store in the same center.
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

WOW!! He's making you cook on your honeymoon. My kinda guy. Just kidding.

Yep! But seeing the prices for meals in Maui I am glad to do it - we will grille and stuff, and he enjoys cooking too. We will definitely dine out a good part of the time - but for breakfast and lunch, it will be great to have stuff on hand. And we won't gain as much weight eating all that restaurant food!

Counting the days to Maui!
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the directions and tips on supermarkets!!!! I have them printed off for my trip!
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Also, if you are not already a member of Safeway or Foodland, sign up when you get into the market. It's free. By becoming a member you save a ton more money on your groceries while in Hawaii!