Search

FOOD IN DC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOOD IN DC

I am staying at the Willard the weekend of the 24th. I need a list of some very good Southern and Italian food establishments.

Cost is not an issue.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:09 AM

Southern: Georgia Brown's and Vidallia would be my top choices

Italian: Galileo is supposed to be the best, but I have not gone there yet. Teatro Goldoni is excellent as well and Filomena (in Georgetown) and Primi Piatti are two of my personal favorites.

I suggest you go to www.washingtonpost.com and go to the Entertainment section and read about these restaurants. The reviews are pretty accurate and I use them all the time as a resource.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:16 AM

Great Italian that I had in DC not too far from the Willard was at Dominic's Trattu a small intimate place on Jefferson Pl. (between 18th & 19th Streets, by L and M Streets) The street is only one block long, but worth the find for their great service and incredible food!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 06:27 PM

I agree w/ Georgia Brown's and Vidalia for southern food. I love Galileo and Tosca (Italian) (Galileo definitely the better of the two). If money is no object, eat at the Laboratorio, which is a dining area within the Galileo kitchen w/ a many, many course fixed-price meal -it is an unforgettable experience. Also, Obelisk (Italian) is always rated a top DC restaurant although I have not been.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Wow! Out of the hundreds of options for Southern and Italian suggestions are all for Georgia Browns, Vidalia, Galileo, and Tosca. I AGREE! Especially Galileo. If you are even thinking of Labritorio, then you need to reserve yesterday.
Go to this restaurant search area for addresses and phone numbers:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...foodanddining/
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Convivial

Galileo is THE best Italian in DC. Try for their Labatoria - they will explain.

Southern food is second rate in DC, but always expensive. I'd suggest Ten Pehn instead - asian fusion.

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:04 AM

Another vote for the Laboratorio - it is a great experience. May be too late to get in but worth a try. If you can't do that, I wouldn't bother with Galileo - for the money, I think you can do better elsewhere. If you have a way to get out to Tysons Corner, VA, definitely try to get into Maestro, in the Ritz-Carlton. It is out of this world.

My other Italian favorites in DC are Obelisk (also hard to get into b/c it's very small) and Tosca, and Al Tiramisu for slightly more casual but still very good.

For Southern, I think Georgia Brown's is overrated - I would choose Vidalia.

Definitely check out Tom Sietsema's reviews in the Washington Post.