fmpden and others: questions about Copper Mountain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of questions: we have narrowed our lodging choices to a unit in Cache at Union Creek, one in Passage Point, and a smaller loft unit in Copper Junction. All from VRBO.

Remembering that we are beginners, and that I am concerned about carrying skiis, poles, etc on a bus, would one be better than the others? How often does the shuttle bus run?

Is there a place to rent eqpt. in the village?

Have looked at the dining options. If we do not have a car and don't want to do much cooking, is the variety enough, with some nicer meals in the evening, for 4 days?

How much of a nightlife is there in the village?

Any idea how much the shuttle from Denver airport costs and the length of time needed.

Thanks .
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM

The Union Creek area is the "beginners area" at Copper. You can access all sorts of green runs from there without taking a bus. You can also take the High Point lift from there and ski green runs down to the Village where you can get onto the American Flyer lift and get to some of the green runs at the top of the mountain.

Passage Point is listed as being in the "Village" area. Still no problem with needing a bus. Take the aforementioned American Flyer lift from the Village up to green runs like Coppertone which will bring you back to the Village, or the green runs Sililoquy or Roundabout which will lead you to all green runs back to Union Creek.

I'm not sure where Copper Junction is, so I can't help with that.

There is ski equipment rental in the Village. Reserve in advance online or by phone and save 20% off the walk-in rate.

There should be enough variety of dining options for 4 days. Most dining is in the Village. Not knowing your preferences (and being the kind of guy who is happy with a beer & burger dinner at the bar), I can't tell you that there is enough for YOUR tastes.

Nightlife may be your biggest worry. Don't count on any "clubs" that rock until 2 in the morning. Plan on watching the sidewalks roll up at 10 or 11 p.m.

Google "Colorado Mountain Express" for shuttle costs and times.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 02:09 PM

As beginner skiers I would recommend staying at Union Creek. Union Creek is where all lessons for adult beginers commence. There is, of course, a shuttle that runs through out the ski area, but it will facilate things by being at Union Creek.

The are numerous places through out the village that rent ski equipment.

As to dining there are also many options. My favorite and one of the best places in Summit County is C.B. Grille at the Covered Bridge. Excellent food, service and wonderful ambience. I could easily eat there every night. Also:

Alpinista Mountain Bistro...near C.B. Grille in the Village. Reasonable Italian food.

Imperial Palace...I've never eaten here as I don't like Chinese, but the place has been around for years and resort restaurants seem to come and go with great regularity, so they must be doing something right.

Salsa Mt. Cantina...Mexican food and more. V. good.

Storm King Lounge...Japanese cuisine.

Tuckers Tavern

All the above are in the Village at Copper.There is also a pizza place (can't remember the name) and probably a couple I've left out.

For East Village:

Double Diamond is privately owned and has also been around for years. Steak,sandwiches and v. good pizza.

J.J.'s Tavern

There is a new place opening in December...Grand Hall Market...can't comment.

There will be shuttles available to transport you from Union Creek to the Village and East Copper. There are also shuttles that go to Frisco and Breckenridge during the evening hours. When I was living at Copper and on my own, I frequently chose to use the shuttle to Breck in order to dine without having to worry about driving back in the snow or more importantly after a couple of glasses of wine.

I don't do night life as at my age. I find after a day's skiing and a nice meal with wine, that I'm pretty much ready to read a bit then be off to bed. However, there are several bars etc.

Storm King Lounge
Jack's Slopside for apre ski
Endo's Adrenaline Cafe
Incline Bar & Grill
Double Diamond
JJ's
Jills
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM

I forgot to mention that Copper Junction is at the base of the American Eagle Lift. It would be an excellent location for many but not so much for beginners. It is also one of Copper's older condo units.

It's been too long since I've taken the shuttle that I shouldn't try to answer your questions regarding costs and time. I suggest you google DIA as they should have something listed about transporation to mountain resorts.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Sorry about the delay in my response. I could not find my Copper Mt map. Some specific answers to your general question.

During the day the shuttle runs on a very frequent schedule -- every 5 to 10 minutes. In the evening the time will be less - maybe every 15 minutes or so.

The shuttles are not like buses with seats. Just big open transit cars, no seats, just hang onto the poles. Big, double folding doors on the side with a low rise so it is very easy to get in and out carrying skis, etc.

The shuttle from DIA would be about two hours -- used to be around $50 but probably higher. I think one service is called Mountain Express. I will see if I can find a web site.

Not absolutely certain where Cache is but I think it is about 2/3 of the way between center village and Union Creek. I think you still may what to ride the shuttle to Union Creek but it may be only a hundred yards or so.

Passage Point on the north side of the village center, right on the shuttle route and probably would be the most convenient.

Copper Junction is one of the original properties at Copper and is slope side at center village. It is only 30 or 40 yards to the shuttle pickup point.

ScareCrow comments are only helpful once you learn how to ski a bit and are comfortable riding the chair lifts. That generally comes the second day of lessons. Till then, stick with the shuttle.

Historytraveler's restaurants recs are very good. The Chinese place is above average and I have had lunch there a number of times.

Copper in the past has had a beginners package which include rentals, lessons, and a limited lift tickets. I assume it is still available. Check the web site. And there are other rentals available == Christy Sports for one. Again I am sure the web site will have this information.

Of the three, I would pick Passage Point because it is a part of the central village and you would not have to be dependent on the shuttle in the evening. And I have stayed in Copper Junction and it fine also. Copper Mt is a relatively small area. You could walk from center village to Union Creek in less than 15 minutes. So where you stay is not all that critical. I would go with the price.

If you want more specific info, you can contact me off-line at [email protected]. I will try to find some web sites for you.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Found the Colorado Mountain Express service

http://www.ridecme.com/index.asp

Looks like they provide two levels of service. A door to door for $82.00/person. And a service to the Frisco Transit center for $55. From the Frisco transit center you would take the free Summitt Cty bus to Copper Mountain. I think that bus runs twice an hour and would be about a 20/30 minute ride. Drop you right in the middle of the village. You would be about 30 yards from Copper Junction.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM

As to the car, it might depend on how long you are there. If it's a week, you REALLY might want to go somewhere for dinner, or something. Car rentals can sometimes be pretty cheap, particularly vis a vis the shuttle services. Or at least not that much more.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Car rentals run about $50.00 a day. Much easier and less expensivse to use Colorado Mountain Express or one of the other DEN/Mountain resort shuttles. If you decide you want to go elsewhere to eat, take the Summit Shuttle ( it does have seats) as it goes to Frisco/Breck/Dillon etc.

Cache is actually closer to Union Creek than any of the others you mentioned but really it's up to your if you want to be closer to Union Creek or to the Village. As fmpden said, it isn't that difficult to access the entire area by foot or shuttle.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM

It would be nice to stay near the beginner area, but if you don't have a car and are planning on eating out every meal, I'd think it would be a big hassle trying to get to the village to eat. Don't worry about carrying skis on the bus--there's nothing to it. There's no grocery store in Copper (just a little convenience store), so if you don't get a car, you won't be able to stop for groceries (though it sounds like you don't want to cook anyway). If you had a car, you could go into Frisco at night to eat and drink--Copper is pretty dead at night. Copper is fantastic, and I'd think a great place to learn.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 05:46 PM

Christy, I don't think you are very familiar with Copper. The grocery store is far more than a convenience store unless your are thinking of the little convenience store in the village center by the pond. That is a small convenience store. The grocery store is fine for what they want to do. There is no hassle to getting around Copper. The shuttle system works very well. But it does get quiet at night when everyone goes home. But as beginner skiers with a full day of lessons, they will be exhausted at night anyway. And they could always catch a bus to Frisco.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Christy, Look at my list of restaurants. Copper Mt. may be quiet, but it's not dead. Renting a car just to get to Copper and then leaving it in a parking space for four nights just doesn't make much sense, especially since (as I have pointed out) one can take the Summit Shuttle into Frisco or Breckenridge if you want to dine/shop etc. I did this on many occasions while living at Copper.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM

Actually, it is called Summit Stage and the web page is

http://www.summitstage.com/schedules.cfm