Search

Flying to Massachusetts Advise Please

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying to Massachusetts Advise Please

Hello,
I plan on flying to Massachusetts in mid April 2012.
I am a female and will be traveling alone.
I have been looking for tour guides and need help on itinerary, where to go, see and stay. The house boats looked great, but I would like to stay on the boat with a tour guide for the 5 or 7 days I plan to visit. Is there such a service of this nature in Boston? I have looked for several days on the internet and could not find out much info on tours, all inclusive etc. I don't want to drive myself (I tend to stay lost). But I definitely want to tour as much of the state as possible. Thanks
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 09:06 AM

You can try http://boston.craigslist.org/

Maybe you get lucky and find a guide advertising there but if not you can post a free ad for guide services and see what you find.

But that said, be very careful, interview the person on the phone, see if they have any references for doing such work and if they can provide documentation to back that up.

You can never be too careful when trying to find service people on the internet.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I will be very cautious. I watch to many unsolved and solved murder shows. Thanks for your feed back
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 09:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I would try this first: http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/
Ask the tour guide at the end of the tour what he/she would suggest for an on the water tour.
Where are you coming from? Do you ever expect to return to Boston?
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 10:06 AM

A cautionary note: a state holiday, Patriot's Day, is Monday, 16 April. That weekend the city will be full of tourists as the Boston Marathon is run on that day. Hotels will be in short supply to accommodate the runners and their families and lodging will also be very expensive.

There are lots of posts here on things to see and do in Boston and you don't really need a guide for very many of them. The Freedom Trail is one of the activities where you may benefit by having a guide. Here is a current thread with information on the Freedom Trail:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-in-boston.cfm

Salem is reachable by train and there are organized bus tours to Lexington and Concord.

I don't know where you are looking at house boats?
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 10:18 AM

I'm really unclear on what you are asking. I don't know of any houseboats in Massachusetts.

Are you asking about tour companies? there are a number of well known tour companies that run New England bus tours.

Or with 5-7 days, you could stay in Boston, and do a couple of day trips by train, or perhaps a guided day tour.

but please help us out with your interests...what is it you hope to see? Why are you coming to Boston?
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Thanks, c-cat, glad to know it is not just me! I was just thinking that this query was reinforcing my post on another thread about my not giving Boston tourist advice, despite living there these last 40 years.

I have no idea about any houseboats in Boston, altho that does not mean that there might not be some....
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 11:19 AM

here you go socialworker

http://www.sleepafloat.com/vacation-...s.asp?cat=1203
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 11:57 AM

Not sure of the point of renting a houseboat if you are not going to be moving around from place to place in it? And April isn't yet prime boating season yet in New England.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM

I wasn;t aware there were houseboats in Boston - and I think in April their would be a good chance you would freeze you heine off. And the risk of Craig's list is not that you will be murdered - it's that you will spend you money and find out the boat doesn;t exist. (I would be really surprised by house boats. Where re they?)

We have always just done Boston ourselves (granted staying with relatives but touring on our own) and never had any trouble getting around.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 04:45 PM

Never been to Boston, but I am trying to figure out what the point of staying on a houseboat is if you want to see as much of the state as possible in 5-7 days?? Seems like those 2 things (staying on a houseboat and touring the state) are opposing objectives.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM

I have spent my whole life in Boston, and seeing the state by houseboat is an entirely new concept to me, too. I was also very confused.

Being a boater in MA, I can also say that April is a very rough month for boats. I usually do not put my boat in the water in April, and only get a few good days if I do. When it is not freezing on the water, it is often windy and you do a good bit of rolling. It just isn't fun to be on the water in April, most of the time. Good cod fishing if you get offshore, but I doubt that is what you are looking for. =)

Best bet is getting into Boston and putting the focus on land tours, with maybe a harbor cruise if you get a nice day.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 08:08 PM

As I understand it, the "Sleep Afloat" houseboats, and the "Constitution Marina's Bed & Breakfast Afloat" houseboats remain securely tied to the pier. You use them just as you would a hotel room or small apartment. But you can't take the boat out, either on your own or with a guide.

Shandy1977 is right. In April it can be pretty cold and cranky on the water here in Massachusetts. A harbor cruise and/or whale watching excursion would be the way to go if you want to get out on the water.

I'm really not sure just what the AnnieGardner has in mind, either. Massachusetts is a big state, and it's going to be difficult to see much of it without driving.

And when it comes to hiring a total stranger to drive you around for 5 or 6 days - no way would I ever do it.

Sightsee in Boston (without a car) for a couple days. Then rent a car with GPS, get a good map, get out of the city, and go exploring. Go south on Rt. 3 to Cape Cod. Or go west on Rt. 90 to the Berkshire Mountains.

We have a beautiful state. And if you get lost, stop and ask for directions. Easy, peasy ...
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 09:58 PM

nytraveler,

did you miss my link to houseboat rentals? and it's not craigslist
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 01:45 AM

Reinforcing the date alert - Monday April 16th is Patriots Day - and the day of the Boston Marathon. That could be good or bad - if you already have a hotel, it could be an event to see.

I suggest this. First, figure out your hotel. I see no advantage to staying in Charlestown on a boat. Try to get a central Boston hotel. It will be more expensive, but more convenient to everything and you will not have safety concerns returning at night to your hotel. Do not stay in a hotel called Boston/(some other city) - these are not in Boston and transportation to/from, especially alone, can be difficult or even scary. Reduce your trip from 7 to 5 days if you need to save some money to stay in central city.

Buy a 2-day ticket on one of the trolley tours (the second day is usually hugely discounted - 2nd day is free until 3/31). This lets you get on and off at many stops, most with something to see. Do a little research ahead of time and you could easily fill 2 days with the various stops. (trolleytours.com). If you do this on the first 2 days of your stay it will also give you an overview of anything else you might want to return to on subsequent days.

Third day - take a North End (Italian) or Chinatown walking tour - (micheletopor.com) These last a few hours each, are small walking groups and give you some history, visits with sampling to about 6-12 shops. Chinatown tour includes a meal at the end, but I enjoyed the North End more (I have taken both). If you take an AM tour you will then be familiar enough with the small area covered by each to return to various shops on your own later in the day.

Day Four - take the train to Salem, MA. Visit the Peabody Essex Museum. Take a brief look at some of the Salem witch trial hype, have a nice meal. (MBTA.com)

Day Five (6, 7) Check out Bostontours.com website. It lists all sorts of day trips to various Mass and New England sites - there is a Lexington/Concord half day trip, a Newport, RI, Cape Cod trip, etc. These are on a bus with a tour guide - group travel, but certainly safe.

"As much of the state as possible" statement. Much of what there is to see for the usual tourist is in the eastern part of the state. The western part/Berkshires is beautiful with hills and farmland and some nice scenery. However, I would not spend my time trying to get there without a car, and April is not the best time using any mode of transportation. there are many summer festivals in this part of the state and much of the interest is in area of outdoor activities - skiing, water sports on lakes, camping, hiking, summer outdoor concerts (Tanglewood).

Hope this helps some - while not a houseboat and not a single tourguide for the time, I think it might better meet your needs and interests.
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 05:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
For a single female, wanting cheaper accomodations in Boston should look at the Boston HI Hostel. http://www.hihostels.com/
I've never stayed in that one but I like the big HI Hostel in Chicago.
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 08:09 AM

I know about the houseboats that are anchored, only because I met with someone who owned one. I wouldn't want to stay in one in April either.

On a nice day, you can also take a train to Manchester-by-the Sea, which has a pretty beach within a mile of where the train lets you off. It isn't a touristy town, but it has a year-round, small downtown where you can easily find a place to eat. Captain Dusty's, which has good ice cream, may be open for the season by mid-April.

Keep a careful eye on the train schedule, as they don't run very often outside of weekday rush hour. Get back on the train and take the short ride to Rockport, which is also on the ocean. That IS a touristy town, but very cute and walkable. Many shops will be closed in mid-April, but I was there two weeks ago and some were open.

These are both compact towns, and you wouldn't be able to get lost, if that's a concern.
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 08:58 AM

Hay Annie...
Gail has a schedule that works. Yes, this house boat thing is a puzzle...sounds like the Seine R. So much to do/see in Boston area...as newly relocated we are still exploring.
Bill in Boston
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 09:15 AM

The OP asked about staying on the houseboat for 5 to 7 days with a guide - which sounds to me like she thought she would be traveling around on a boat (otherwise why be staying there with a guide?). This is what you do when you rent houseboats in various places in the west (not with a guide, but touring around on a boat) - not just a boatel tied to a dock.

The OP's post/intentions are confusing. And since she hasn;t been back since her mention of concerns about murder don;t know if she will be.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:23 AM

"Massachusetts is a big state, and it's going to be difficult to see much of it without driving."

Actually, I have seen a significant amount of what Massachusetts has to offer in the way of tourist sights, and I can say from experience that most all of it can be seen without a car if you do some research and have a little travel-time patience. In fact, the only places I can think of offhand that would be a problem are Old Sturbridge Village and a few parts of Cape Cod.

That being said, April is not the best time to explore non-urban attractions in the state (like those in the Berkshires, Pioneer Valley, some Boston suburbs that have historic houses like Gloucester and Ipswich, the Cape and Islands) because a number of attractions there are seasonal (several are open only between Memorial Day and Columbus Day) or less-than-pleasant to experience in weather then (hiking and beach attractions).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -