Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Flying into Providence. Where to go from there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying into Providence on August 18 and flying back out on August 23. Where do we spend our time inbetween? Just want to relax, eat some good seafood, see some quaint villages. Basically just looking for some desparately needed R&R. Any suggestions? We don't like tiny bed and breakfasts, but inns or hotels ok.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 08:30 AM

Are you referring to Providence RI? Will you have a car? Consider a trip to Newport. In any event, August is prime tourist month, so you should make a hotel reservation ASAP.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I mean Providence RI. We will have a car. Newport is one consideration. Any other suggestions?
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 09:24 AM

First off, the "Providence " Airport is in Warwick south of Providence.

Newport is an easy drive and so is the Cape.

HAve Fun!
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 10:53 AM

If you like candles, the Yankee Candle Company's headquarters and HUGE flagship store is in South Deerfield, Mass. It's about a 3 hour drive from Providence, so it would be a great day trip! The restaurant there (Chandler's) is good for lunch. The drive up is very pretty. Also, historic Deerfield, Mass has some really neat old colonial-era buildings.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 04:49 PM

Let me recommend having dinner in Federal Hill. Several people on this forum recommended it to me, and it was the highlight of me trip. The food was good, but I really enjoyed seeing the older Italian ladies walking down the street with their groceries. I don't get to visit ethnic neighborhoods very often, so seeing the unique shops, and hearing people speak Italian to each other, was a real treat for this southern boy.

Mike Honeycutt
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:51 AM

You might consider spending a day/night on Block Island. Its very quaint and has biking, hiking and great seafood. You take the ferry from Pt. Judith.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 08:57 AM

I am partial to Cape Cod, and from your previous post, it looks like you are heading there already.

I vote for Newport, with a day trip to Rhode Island. I think Yankee Candle is too far from where you are staying to warrant a day trip. Mystic, Connecticut is also not too far.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we're leaving toward Cape Cod, but having trouble deciding where to stay. Each town and each inn or hotel I read about sounds great and I want to stay there. Then I read about the next one, and that's where I want to stay. Can't make up our minds.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 09:25 PM

I live on Cape Cod, and residents are all partial to their "town" or "village".
If you envision Cape Cod as sandy beaches, lighthouses, seafood, and fishermen, with quaint shops and restaurants, I would have to direct you to Chatham. Definitely one of the more "cape coddish" towns. Or you could come to my hometown in Yarmouth- Yarmouthport is beautiful with old sea Captains homes and gorgeous beaches.
Anywhere you pick, you really can't go wrong (except for Hyannis center-Stay away)!
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 10:52 PM

If there's a "Waterfire" event while you're in RI, don't miss it.

It's a series of bonfires just above the surface of the three rivers that pass through the middle of downtown Providence. For almost a mile, you stroll along the river while listening to music and watching people in gondolas re-stock the fires. Afterwards there is literally dancing in the streets. Truly a memorable experience.