Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Flying between Chicago and Boston w/ 1-year-old for the first time - what to watch out for / prepare?

Search

Flying between Chicago and Boston w/ 1-year-old for the first time - what to watch out for / prepare?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which airline would be our best bet?
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 02:29 AM

Whichever airline gets you there non-stop at a time of day you think your baby is least likely to be irritable.

Also, whichever one is least expensive so you can buy him/her a seat.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 05:40 AM

I agree you should buy a seat for the baby. Take his or her carseat. Advice I wish I had had in advance: Pack a change of clothes (or at least a shirt) for you in case there is an unfortunate accident.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Another suggestion: take snacks, soft toys and toys that don't make sound or little sound. Though people try to be polite on planes, often they are not. I am a mom of 2 and very familiar with flying with my kids. Best bet: find flight closest to baby's nap time, do whatever is necessary to keep the baby up until you get to the airport and then do whatever you can to help the baby go to sleep just before take off. Drinking from sippy cup (or bottle) if still awake at take off will help with ears popping. Same thing with landing. Good luck!
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 10:31 AM

I am smiling because we used to live in Chicago and also did a ORD-BOS trip when our oldest was just under 2. You need a non stop flight as already mentioned. Make sure you take along extra clothes for the baby and plenty of supplies - diapers, baby food. Don't assume you will get any help from the flight attendants. I traveled solo with the baby to meet my husband. Take an umbrella or folding stroller on the plane with you, if they will let you. Make sure you stick a bottle or whatever in the baby's mouth when you take off and land. Babies don't know they need to swallow to alleviate air pressure and a bottle, pacifier, etc. will help tremendously. If you can afford it, buy a seat for the baby, and bring your car seat along to put him/her in it. I had an embarrassing thing happen as my daughter spilled a sippy cup of milk onto another passenger. Do the right thing if that happens and offer to pay for cleaning. Bring lots of baby's favorite toys. Good luck!
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:07 AM

-bring lite, airy snacks (like Gerber puffs) that are tiny and don't fill them up, but you can dole out continuously.

-my child never slept on planes (unfortunately) so I try to schedule flights during her normal wake time when she's most likely to be agreeable. Like pp said, whenever you think they will be the least irritable!

-for your own comfort, too, I'd purchase the extra seat if you can(every airline we've flown had discounted fare for babies under 2)

-if you're going alone, some airlines will let you bring a person to the gate to help you out until you board

-If your airline doesn't pre-board, some will let you go 1st if you ask. We either go 1st or last, depending on what we're doing. If I'm flying alone, I'll ask to preboard (for set up AND so I don't have to see the poor person's face fall as we approach our seats next to thiers.)

-if your child is into tv, a portable dvd player can be very helpful.

-For non-stop routes, I do like Southwest b/c you can board first and get the first or second row) This is best, though, when there are at least 2 adults. When it was just me, I found it very difficult to save our 'place' in line b/c she wanted to roam and staying put caused quite a scene!

-Good luck. I sweat bullets my first flight alone with our baby, but all went well!
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 01:04 PM

I second keymom's advice to have a change of clothes handy for YOU and the baby. Also, a kitchen size plastic trash bag is handy in case of an accident. I remember traveling with my infant son and desperately trying to find a bag for his stinky clothes. The only thing the flight attendant would offer me was an airsickness bag. Ughh! It took some pleading before she finally gave me a small trash bag.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:31 PM

Nursing or a bottle at take off and landing. Helps prevent ear aches.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 09:08 PM

The first time I flew with my son, I had him overdressed. ( I am always cold on planes.) So layer the clothing and pay attention... as soon as I stripped him down to his undershirt... he was a happy camper! Good luck!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody!!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:17 AM

In my experience, if your kid gets really cranked up and noisy on the trip, the other passengers expect that you make an effort to calm him/her - not necessarily that the kid be silent. Nothing is more infuriating that watching an adult reading while their kid is having an hysterical fit.

I forget from your other posts, but if you are traveling alone, your biggest challenge will be if you need to use the bathroom. Years ago the FA would have time to hold baby whiole you used bathroom, but I have not seen this in ages (maybe there is a liability issue now?). So if you are alone, you will have to take baby with you unless you are seated next to some kindly grandmother type you trust who will briefly watch baby.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:22 AM

Airtran flies (very cheaply) non stop between Logan and Midway. For about $30 you can upgrade to Business Class and have a lot more room to stretch out in. If you're really on the outskirts of Boston, Southwest can fly you cheaply from Providence or Manchester.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:51 AM

In addition to all the other good advice above, take along toys that your child is not used to seeing - either new toys or old favorites that you take out of rotation for a few weeks before your trip. Wrap them us as presents to entertain baby. Toys that require him or her to "do" something are particularly helpful. Don't take a lot of books - they're heavy and the catalog is usually great entertainment for at least 20 minutes for us. Also, stickers seem to keep little ones around that age busy for hours.

A lot of airlines don't let you pre-board, so find the flights in which you are interested first (whether based on price, your frequent flier situation, schedule, or some other reason), then check with the airlines about their pre-boarding policy. It will be easier for you to deal with the stuff (including car seat if you take it) if you can get on first if you are by yourself. Otherwise, if you get on last you have to deal with trying to find overhead space (as someone else mentioned, don't assume you will get any help - I have every single time I've flown alone with my fellow, but I always operate under the assumption that I will not get it and therefore am pleasantly surprised and grateful when I get it), manage baby, get him/her into a seat. Getting on first makes a big difference, especially at that age where they aren't necessarily so crazy that you wait until the last possible minute to get on (like we do now).
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great advice. It's going to be an adventure...

Yes we'll be travelling with Daddy. Thank goodness!