Reload this Page >

Fly or Drive Boston to NYC Best Rates?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 10:58 AM
ET

y husband and I are traveling to NYC for a weekend the middle of February. We will be staying one night. My husband would like to drive. In past when we have driven my stomach is in a knot before we even arrive at our hotel. I'm thinking we should fly. Any ideas on how to get the best rates. What should I expect to pay and is it worth it? High speed train is almost $300 per person and it only saves about 45 minutes vs. driving. (No knots, however)

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 11:17 AM
Elsa

I just cut an article out of the Boston Globe (either last Sun. or the Sun before) that gave the rates as follows on the high speed train one-way:

Coach $56
Business $76

Friday and Sunday between 11am and 11pm:
Coach $71
Bus. $91

The trip takes 4hrs. This spring (whenever that is) there is going to be an even faster train --- 3 hrs.

The train drops you off right in the city, and you don't have that airport-NYC taxi ride to deal with --- not to mention the $ for that ride.

Elsa

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 11:48 AM
Owen O'Neill

I second the motion for the train. I'm not familiar with possible differences in rate structure for high speed train but Amtrak is now doing what the airlines do for regular train fare. Purchasing an "excursion" round trip in advance gets a discount (you can also get an extra 10% off for AAA or AARP). Then they calculate fares based on number of available seats and seasonal demand. As I recall, the rates used to be far more predictable. I'm guessing that Elsa's rates are about right - this is nor a high travel season and $300 seems too high. Definnitely opt for the train. the vagaries of weather and the hassle of getting from JFK or LG airport into the city just isn't worth it. You can relax on the train - read a book or snooze and get off right in midtown. I'd do it even if it took a bit longer than driving.

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 12:16 PM
Tootle

Hi,

One more vote for the train -- see if the ACELA train is up and running -- I think it is. Not only do you not have a knot, you aren't stuck on I95 in an appalling snow storm and you can go to the club car and have a drink or whatever. And you arrive in downtown Manhattan, don't need to pay a surly cab driver $50. to take a circuitous and stomach-wrenching trip, and you don't have to find a parking space. February is a month of high probability of weather delay, and the train is the last mode of transport to give up.

I wouldn't consider the alternatives.

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 03:07 PM
ET

Thanks for all the great info! I will look into the trains!

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 04:57 PM
Sandy

I am going to NYC via Greyhound bus weekend of 2/19. They have 2 for 1 companion fares going on. $40.20 round trip for 2 out of Providence! 4 hour bus ride. Valid from most Northeast cities as long as you purchase within 3 days of travel. I live closer to Providence so I didn't check Boston. Amtrack quoted us $180/rt. Good luck!

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 01:40 PM
j

I recommend the train. It now takes
about 4 hours rather than the old 5.
they havent gotten the high speed
ones in 3 hours yet. Byt he time
you go to and from the airport flying
plus frequent delays its just as long
if not longer. the train is relaxing
and the ride along the connecticut
coast is nice. sit on the left side
going down and you will be on the ocean side.