Floridfran's SW trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, let me again thank all of you who helped me plan this trip, whether by answering my questions or posting trip reports. We had 14 glorious days (May 10 -23) and I couldn't have planned it without you.

Day 1 - Departed P'cola on time about 8 AM and then ran into the usual delay in Atlanta. If there were some way to fly Delta from here and by-pass ATL I'd do it in a heartbeat. This was already going to be along day since we were flying on FF Skysaver tickets. In other words - we had the route from hell. P'cola to Atlanta to Oklahoma City to Salt Lake City. We were so late in ATL that I asked the ticketing agent to book us on the next two flights from Oklahoma City to Salt Lake. Finally take off from ATL and we're wondering if by some miracle we'll make our original Salt Lake City connection.

At least our shaven-head, two-man flight crew - who introduced themselves as Cue Ball and Eight Ball -are entertaining. As we're approaching O. C. we ask Cue Ball if he thinks there's any chance we'll make our original connection to SLC. He laughs and says absolutely - this is the plane you'll be flying on. Different crew, but same aircraft. We'll have to deplane and wait for them to clean/cater/and re-crew, then re-board and off we'll go. Just wish the ticketing agent in ATL had told us this. It would have made for a less stressful flight. I was so happy we wouldn't be facing a 3 hour layover that I was more than willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she didn't know this.

Finally arrived in Salt Lake City around 5 PM which threw our schedule off a bit. Called Rugged Rental while we waited for our checked bags. They were prompt, friendly, and had us in our Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 and on our way before 6. Easiest, quickest check-in I've ever had.

I highly recommend these guys. The Jeep was an '04, but it was in very good condition and everything on it worked. The Rugged Rental personnel couldn't have been nicer or more helpful, both in person and on the phone and in e-mails while we were planning.

Headed south as fast as we could. Traffic wasn't nearly as bad as I feared it would be. Since we were already behind schedule we stopped in Orem for fast food (I swore it would be our last for the trip) then hit the Super Wal-Mart to stock up. Our plan had been to drive as far as Scipio or Salina before we stopped for the night but we were feeling the long day and opted to stay at the Best Western in Nephi and get an early start for Moab the next morning.

Day 2 - Up a little later than I'd hoped but I could tell SurferTom needed a more relaxing day than day 1 had been. BW had a free continental breakfast, including make-them-yourself Belgian waffles. Surpringly good, as were the orange juice and coffee. They also had whole apples and bananas, a plus in my book. Fortified, we headed for Moab.

Hadn't been gone long when my stepdaughter (house and cat sitting for us) called to say the guys working on our house had left the front door open and she couldn't find 2 of 3 our never-let-outside cats. She's already searched every hiding place inside she can think of, and scouted the immediate area outside. The stress level ramped up higher than it would have been if I'd shoved Tom out of bed and gotten us on the road before dawn. This vacation is NOT starting out like I'd planned.

Once we're on Hwy 50 we try to enjoy the scenery but we both keep wondering why she hasn't called to tell us the cats have been found and are safe and sound back inside where they belong. By the time we reach I-80 I can't stand it any more and call her only to get the answering machine.

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Day 2 continued -

Finally she calls but before she can even answer my "hello" we drop the call. We're in a now-you-have-it-now-you-don't signal area. I keep watching the signal bar and when it fills, make Tom pull to the side of the interstate. For me, this is an emergency stop.

Great news - both cats have been found, inside! She has no idea where they were hiding, but everyone is so relieved it doesn't matter. (Lest you think we worried too much - our home fronts the one and only road to our end of the Island and it is currently being repaved. Normal traffic is bad enough but the number of dump trucks and huge pieces of machinery running up and down right now would be deadly to any cats or dogs who are not street savvy.)

After telling her to keep any other crises to herself until they've been resolved, we resume our drive to Moab in a much better frame of mind.

Following the advice of many here, we approach Moab via 128 and are glad we did. It's as scenic as everyone said and we take our time to enjoy it and snap some photos. When we get to Moab (about 1 PM) we're able to check-in early at the River Canyon Lodge where we have a junior suite. (Thanks for the tip, Sharondi.) Clean, spacious, and the staff were very friendly. We'd stay again.

Since we know we'll stay out late we grab lunch at the Moab Diner. Good, quick, and filling. Everything we need already in the Jeep, we finally head for Arches. Buy our annual pass then stop at the welcome center to get maps and sign up for a Fiery Furnace hike on Saturday afternoon.

We make the obligatory stop at Balanced Rock then drive to the trailhead for Devil's Garden. Here we hike to Pinetree and Tunnel Arches before starting the "real" hike. I've always wanted to see Landscape Arch and I wasn't disappointed. It's beautiful.

Totally enjoyed the hike until we got to the fins. It took me awhile to feel comfortable walking along that curved, elevated path. It's not that the drop-off on either side was all that far, but it was something I'd never done before. (Remember, I'm from Florida - we're flat, flat, flat.) However, we didn't make it all the way to Double O Arch, I just couldn't face that next section of fins. I was hot, tired, and afraid we wouldn't get back before dark. I wussed out. In retrospect we should have left this hike for an early morning, but when your time in an area is short you sometimes try to do too much. But we did enjoy Wall Arch and Partition Arch along the way.

Since we planned to hike to Delicate Arch the next afternoon (full moon day) we decided to stop at the Windows section for sunset. It was a good choice. The almost-full moon came up in North Window and both North and South Window as well as Turret Arch were bathed in a golden sunset glow. I took a few photos but had left my tripod in the car so I let Tom handle the photographic duties and found myself a comfy perch (if any seat on a rock can be called comfy) and enjoyed the light show. Absolutely divine.

In the last pale glow we made our way back to our Jeep and headed for Moab. As soon we downloaded the photos we hit the bed. Tomorrow we drive the Shafer and Long Canyon.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Great report FF! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip! Glad your kitties were safe and sound as well. Looking forward to your future report.

www.naturalbornhikers.com

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Day 3 - Up reasonably early and had a huge breakfast at the Moab Diner. More than fully satisfied we head out on our first 4X4 adventure to enter Canyonlands via the "back door." The Potash Road is everything others here have said. We loved driving along the river and watching the scenery change.

We'd read about the potash evaporation tanks, but words didn't do the vivid colors justice. The contrast of the turquoise liquid against the red rocks can't be fairly described. There are interesting rock formations and colors everywhere along this route.

We finally started to climb and were now looking down on the river. Stopped at Thelma and Louise Point. A bit scary to just walk out on a bit.

Saw some great mushroom-like pillars, fantastic desert varnish, and only 3 other vehicles - all coming down. The dust was unbelievable. I am soooo glad we didn't rent a wrangler.

Get to the switchbacks and wonder what in the world we'll do if we meet another car coming down (the 3 had been lower, where the road is actually mostly 2 cars wide). I didn't get to take any photos along this part. I'm too busy alternating between warning Tom that he's getting too close to the drop-off (as in I can't see the edge of the road any more) or too close the rocks that jut out into "our space."
Still, we're both loving this. This is our kind of sightseeing.

Reach the Park gate and I hand Tom the Park Pass and tell him he needs his drivers lic. As he's digging for his wallet, the ranger glances at our Pass, looks at our dust encrusted Jeep, laughs, and waves us through.

Our first stop in Canyonlands is Mesa Arch and I recommend it to everybody. This is a great arch. It's easy to get to, great for photos, and fairly deserted. Would love to be here for sunrise.

We went to all the overlooks but didn't do any of the longer hikes. We still wanted to get to Dead Horse Point and make it back to Arches via Long Canyon Road in time to hike to Delicate Arch for sunset. Tonight's a full moon.

From Dead Horse Point we looked down on the Shafer Trail and the retention ponds. Having driven up through the layers of the canyon, watching the changes in the stratas, we found we enjoyed the view spread out in front of us more than we would have had this been our only "contact" with it.

It's gotten really hot, and not knowing how long it will take us to drive the Long Canyon Road we decide we'll have to leave any hiking for another trip. Get directions to Long Canyon Road from the ranger, get an "okay" as to it's condition, and head out.

Our first look at LCR makes me wonder if this the road I've read so much about. It stretches before us - straight, flat, and barren. Ahh, but in due time all the things I've see in others reports come to pass. And when we reach Pucker Pass (That Rock we have to drive under), even though I know we'll fit (I've seen the photos), Tom doubts. I have to go walk ahead and stand ready to warn him if he won't fit. Of course, he does, and we're off again. But I am glad I was there to warn him about the considerable drop off in the road. I was able to direct him so that he didn't bottom out.

This is to be one bumpy ride but the scenery is worth every jolt. Once again we're glad we got the 4X4. Get back to Moab early enough to to find a self-service car wash and restore the Jeep to a semblance of it's normal self. Have a delicious late lunch/early dinner at Slick Rock before we head to Arches and Delicate Arch.

The Arches parking lot is full when we arrive but a departing couple have us follow them and we get their spot. Armed with our camelbaks, trekking poles, flashlights, cameras and tripods, we head out.

The early going isn't too bad and I'm once again wondering why this 3 mile round trip hike is listed as strenuous. Then we start to climb the slick rock and the already thin air seems to thin even more. Most of the almost 500 ft elevation gain takes place in the last half of this hike.

We make the ascent with tons of people of all ages and fitness levels. When we get to the top there are already a good 200 people there. And more cameras than you see at the Oscars red carpet. Finally find a decent spot to set up the tripods and settle in to wait for "the show."

A Ranger announces that there's a Japapanses film crew there(from their equivalent of our Travel Channel). They have permission to be down by the arch for 10 minutes then must vacate the area for the "Golden Hour." Since I'm thinking the arch is pretty darn impressive right this minute, I can't help but get excited about this magical time that's coming.

It's interesting to watch and listen to the crowd around us. And to watch the occasional foolish/risky behavior of some of them. While not as bad as some places, there are some dropoffs here and people just don't seem to think sometimes.

The Japanese guys finish filming down by the archg and come up where we are and start filiming the crowd, all of us with our tripoded cameras at the ready, wating for that perfect shot. Hoping to get the full moon and the arch together.

The sunset is lovely, turning the arch a glowing, golden orange. The moonrise isn't in the center of the arch (at least not from our angle) but it's still breathtaking and worth the effort it tok to get there.

We waited an hour or so after sunset/moonrise then pack up and head back. It's almost full dark, but we only need our flashlights in the spots darkened by shadows cast by the moon-silhouetted rocks. The moonlight is more than adequate everywhere else. We find it's actually easier to see using the natural light as it's more consistent and even. So much easier going down. There's even an abundance of air for me to breathe. LOL

Back at our motel we download, shower, and fall into bed pretty tired. Fiery Furnace hike isn't until 4:30 tomorrow afternoon so we fall asleep with no set plans for the morning. Unusual for us.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:06 PM
TheWeasel

Great report so far, I'm glad you've enjoyed the Moab area to this point. But this one statement made me laugh:
"Get back to Moab early enough to to find a self-service car wash and restore the Jeep to a semblance of it's normal self. "

A real Jeep's normal self IS dirty and dusty. They love going off-road and hate to be squeaky clean.

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 07:10 PM

Floridafran,
It's great to read your report and hear about your wonderful adventure! I'm so glad you guys had such a fun trip. Can't wait to hear more!