Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Florida with our 13-year old granddaughter for Spring Break?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are early 60's grandparents with only one granddaughter who turns 13 in March, and for her birthday we want to take her on a trip for her spring break from school in early April. By way of background, she lives in Ohio and we live in Massachusetts. She is an only child and our only grandchild, and she is interested in some beach time. My husband has chronic pain, due to a back problem and a knee replacement that he has had numerous complications from, so he is slightly limited in mobility in terms of walking for long distances and sitting for long periods of time which makes a "go-go" vacation a challenge. Given these constraints, we would appreciate your recommendations for where to go for spring break with our granddaughter that would be fun and manageable for all of us. We want her to be entertained and yet not exhaust ourselves. Since she doesn't have a passport we were thinking of Florida, but we aren't interested in the Orlando amusement park area. We thought about Busch Gardens, maybe the Everglades, and have family in the Fort Meyers area. My husband and I love to snorkel and would like to introduce our granddaughter to it as well, so wonder where on the West Coast or maybe the Pennekamp Coral Reef Park would be good for that.. Would appreciate recommendations on Florida attractions, where to stay, what to see and do. Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 06:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Busch Gardens-Tampa not Busch Gardens Virginia. http://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-tampa
Sounds like a great place for a 13 year old. Depending on where in Ohio, you could plan a trip on Amtrak from MA to Cleveland or Toledo and then on the Capitol Limited to Washington DC and then to Florida on one of the Silver service trains. She could be trusted to fly home from Florida if she had someone to meet her when she got off the plane.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 07:28 PM

Amtrak is not particularly reliable along the East Coast. We took it from DC to Savannah a few years ago and arrived about four hours late, which is bad when it's only about a 12-hour trip.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 07:48 PM

We have had several nice family vacations w/our then-young teenage kids (from the Washington, DC area) to the Clearwater Beach, Florida area, which included time at Busch Gardens in Tampa, very close by. That Busch Gardens is very nice, based on animal exhibits that would interest you and your husband and your granddaughter I think, and lots of rides for your granddauther.

We liked the Sheraton Sand Key resort, that is where we stayed during those vacations. It has a nice, wide beach, good food (both at the hotel and close by so you don't have to go into Clearwater Beach unless you want to), nice pool on the beach, good amenities. You can do boating excursions from thee also.

But from the info in your posting I am concerned about whether you and your husband can deal w/all of the walking at Busch Gardens in Tampa. I believe that Busch Gardens does provide individual motorized vehicles, and hoepfully your husband at least could use on of those. The park is big and requires a lot of walking otherwise.

I am going to bring something up that you did not address in your posting. A 13 yr old girl who is an only child...that means she spends a lot of time as an only child at home. Suggest that you consider asking her best friend (hopefully she has one, 13 is such a tricky age for friends) to come along on the trip? Having another girl her age might really be helpful for her and for you and your husband as well. Just a suggestion based on experience.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 04:58 AM
cd

I think the Ft Myers Beach area would be good for you. Accommodations on the beach would please a teen with a balcony for your husband to enjoy, google Best Western Beach Resort Ft Myers Beach, the location is right on the beach and close enough to walk to the square for a little shopping and ice cream shops. It is also close for day trips tp Sanibel and Captiva Islands.

The Sheraton mentioned above in Clearwater I think would not be good for your husband.The beach feels like a mile from the hotel! The hotel is set way back from the waters edge.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 07:09 AM

When my DD was in middle school, they were tasked with doing a huge 6 month science project. She chose the theme of coral reef destruction and we made an extensive visit to the NOAA facility in Key Largo and a personal tour from them of the Pennekamp Coral Reef park. We contacted NOAA in advance and made the arrangements, they don't normally do this. I highly recommend the Pennekamp as a stop.

Regarding east or west coast of Florida, they have different feels. The east coast seems more filled with folks from the NE part of the US and the west coast with people from the Midwest and South. If you have family in Ft. Myers, why not go there? As others have mentioned your GD may long for some company her own age, or others to speak to. Perhaps a week rental in a condo? Bonita Springs is very nice, it may not be too late to look for a 2 bed, 2 ba, where the GD can have a little privacy too. Most of the condos are in complexes that are on the beach with a common swimming pool.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 08:01 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
When our kids were that age, they loved our spring break vacations on Sanibel and Captiva Islands.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Would also appreciate any feedback on John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park and the Everglades as possible side trips.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 12:30 PM

Even if you’re trying to avoid Orlando, if she’s a big Harry Potter fan, she may really want to go to Universal’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter. If you DO go there, it’s about $85/person.

The Harry Potter area is waaaaaaaaaaay in the back. You’ll get tired just walking to it. Go when the place opens or stay at an affiliated hotel to get in an hour early. Since it’s small, you’re not going to stay in that particular “land” all day, but it gets VERY crowded in the afternoon, which is when you can see the other “lands.”

Hubby and I went last Thanksgiving time, when my family met up for DWorld. We (well, I) wanted to go. Although we missed a few things, I’ll wait until it opens in LA, which is much closer to me.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 02:42 PM

emd3,
You think there is something wrong with being an only child?
I am an only child and an only grandchild. Guess what, I have only one child too. So she is only child, only grandchild, and only great grandchild. I don't think any of us planned it that way, but thats the way it worked out.

I think a grandparent that doesn't live near their grandkid wouldn't want to take along a total stranger. And then reverse things from that friends parents viewpoint-Think about it, would you let your child go with someone that you don't know at all?
BTW, my child didn't spend that much time home alone. And I don't see what the big deal is about 13 year old only child having a hard time making friends.

B and B
Check out snorkeling in the Dry Tortuga National Park for snorkeling. John P. is a thought. Biscayne might be a thought too. Everglades would be nice. You could do the tram tour since walking might be a bit difficult. I think the tram goes like 20 miles or so.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

As to bringing a girlfriend for our granddaughter, we want this trip to be just the 3 of us, as she is bringing a girlfriend with her this summer to see us on Cape Cod and that will most likely be the trend going forward.

Latest feedback from our GD is that she only cares about getting a tan and relaxing. Where we had planned a lot of side trips to entertain her (fun, cultural, historical, etc.) it seems she doesn't want to be on the go all the time. Also, she is a little afraid of snorkeling which she has never tried, but we would love to introduce her to it.

So where do you recommend going for a nice beach vacation with access to snorkeling, even if it is a day trip elsewhere? Either an all inclusive or someplace reasonably priced knowing how teenagers want to snack all the time. Because of lack of passport we have narrowed it down to Florida, Puerto Rico, or somewhere in the US Virgin Islands (St. John, St. Thomas, St. Croix). Want somewhere clean, safe, with a nice beach on site.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
Hez

You've mentioned the passport issue a few times, there's plenty of time to get her a passport and it sounds like an all-inclusive in Mexico or the Carribean might be a much better time for all.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 03:33 AM

St. John would be good. Caneel Bay!
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 06:09 AM

I'm with spiro... the US Virgin Islands do NOT require a passport and St Thomas/ St John has both amazing beaches and snorkeling... a Catamaran sail would help you enjoy the water without Gramps having to hurt himself and would be an amazing day for the three of you... much better than Florida...
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 01:49 PM

My niece flew from BWI to Orlando at 13 by herself with no problems. I took her to Disney and Universal because that is what she really wanted to do for her spring break. Lego land just opened where Cypress Gardens was. I think it is smaller and maybe more doable. They have wheelchairs at all these places and you get to go to the front of the line! Key Largo is great for snorkeling if she likes that. Just make sure you take her to Seven mile bridge. It is beautiful and a nice ride. If she likes baseball the Rays are playing in Tampa.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 03:47 PM

"she only cares about getting a tan"

As responsible grandparents, you will make sure she wears sunscreen and applies—and re-applies—it as necessary, right? (what really IS necessary, not what she thinks is necessary)

8-)
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Oh yes, Cranachin, you can bet we will be the "evil" grandparents making her wear sunscreen, etc. She spends some time with us each summer on Cape Cod so we are used the the routines needed for long beach days.

Our granddaughter is a great kid, and once she is away from the teenage friends, phone, texting, for awhile she will settle in with us and be fine. We enjoy each other's company a lot.

Husband doesn't use/need a wheelchair, walks and only uses a cane if he is tired or knee is especially painful, he just cannot do really long distances, steep inclines, lots of stairs, etc.

Avoiding the passport issue for now due to some complicated family issues and have decided to stick to FL, PR, or USVI.

Thanks for all the great ideas - please keep them flowing now that we are focused on going to one resort/hotel/condo and staying mostly put for a week, concentrating on beach and hopefully snorkeling.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Oh yes, Caneel Bay looks gorgeous but a bit too pricey for us. I am retired, and hubby is about to be.
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 02:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll have great snorkeling if you decide to go to the VI.