Florida Weekend Getaway

Search

Florida Weekend Getaway

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida Weekend Getaway

Wife and I are looking to get away from our kids and NJ for a few days in early June. Would like to relax and refresh sitting poolside and/or on the beach. No need to do too much as we really just want to recharge our batteries with sun, food, wine, etc.

So far I've been looking at Naples and Palm Beach and wanted to get people's thoughts on those locations or if they had any suggestions for other destinations. Thanks ahead of time for your ideas/input.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 06:32 PM

The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa in Hollywood is a gorgeous, AAA 4-diamond rated hotel on the beach in Hollywood. It is just a few miles south of Ft. Lauderdale. take a look: http://www.diplomatresort.com

Old Apr 11th, 2011, 09:49 PM

Oh, to me that's an easy question - come to Destin, FL. It's in the "panhandle," but the area is absolutely beautiful and not quite as crowded as the beaches in W. Palm/Naples. Plus, I think the beaches are FAR more beautiful, with crystal clear water and sugar white sand (literally). Try to stay near Destin Harbor, and I GUARANTEE you will not regret it. You can take a Dolphin Cruise, go deep sea fishing, snorkel, and rent jet skis right on the harbor. I live an hour away from Destin and I visit it frequently when I want a little "mini vacation." Another great choice (with more solitude) would be Navarre Beach, just east of Pensacola. Pensacola Beach is nice with many attractions close by (Naval Air Museum)but Destin is the gem of the panhandle.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 09:54 PM

I googled this site for you. Hope it helps you in your decision : )

http://www.destin-ation.com/

I've lived in FL (North and South)all my life and haven't found an area I like more than this.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 06:16 AM

DH and I both really enjoyed either Lauderdale by the Sea on the east coast or the Treasure Island area on the west. Both sound like what you're looking for and close enough to airports (Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa) that the drive isn't a pain in the rear.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 08:26 AM

If you decide to come to Destin, fly into Northwest Florida Regional Airport. It is small, close to Destin, easy to get out of, and most of all, they have VERY good rates! (many flights are under $150 RT). The next best airports would be Pensacola (PNS) and Panama City.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 04:21 AM

I just reurned from a week in Captiva Island. I think it is exactly what you are seeking. We usually do the Keys or South Beach because we like a lot of action, but if you are really looking for a few days of complete peace and quiet in a beautiful setting, Captiva is perfect. The 'Tween Waters is a quaint inn, but there are also ample homes for rent with nice pools. The beach is easy walking distance from any home on the island.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 04:57 AM

btkayaks, I'm really curious about your comment about Destin beaches NOT being as crowded as the ones in Southwest Florida. Yes that is infinitely true in the winter, but in June, July, or August? I think half of Atlanta is there for starters. The only time I was at the beach in Destin in summer it was like wall to wall people, but the beaches at that time in Naples are nearly deserted (although they do pick up some weekenders from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

I'd also second the idea of Sanibel/Captiva if you really want to "get away from it all".
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 05:58 AM
cd

I agree with Sanibel/Captiva and Ft Myers area
also, we love St Pete Beach. You might want to check out:
http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Don-CeSar-Beach-Resort and
http://www.tradewindsresort.com/
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 06:47 AM
cd

That's S/C, and Ft Myers BEACH area
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 06:57 AM

I just returned from a weekend at the Emerald Grande on Destin Harbor - nearly deserted! The reosrt offers the most breathtaking views of the Harbor/Gulf of Mexico and they have rooms that sleep up to 8 people. The most amazing resort we've been to! Destin, like any other beach city, has its times of high volume vacationers, but compared to most other beach towns I've been to, it isn't bad at all. You just have to know where to go : )
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 09:35 AM

Or WHEN to go, btkayaks. I don't want to argue, but there is a world of difference in the crowds at Destin on the beach in April as opposed to in June. Same way in Naples -- but they tend to be reversed.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 11:07 AM

Actually the first of June will not be bad as schools don't get out most places until the 7th or so. In the Summer, Neo is correct. The whole of anyone who lives off I75 clear up to Ohio, will be in the panhandle.
I would recommend Amelia Island. Short flight to JAX & an easy trip. In addition, the Old Town has an amazing collection of great restaurants for such a small place - http://www.ameliaisland.com/
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 12:28 PM

Airfare to Florida from Newark can vary dramatically by location. If concern over airfare is an issue, I must suggest you look at different prices before getting to far down the road with one location or the other.

You might also need to be creative with fares. At times I've found the best option is to fly Continental one-way, Jet Blue the other. We've traveled to Florida fairly often and the difference can between several hundred a ticket for a small change like date or time.

Back to the original question, the West Coast has better beaches, I think.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 12:17 AM

Hey! No need to go any where from FL. I hv a better option for you. You can get what ever you need, in Florida only. You can enjoy Vacation in Ft Lauderdale, Florida, and I am sure you will be satisfied there. You can visit http://www.ftlauderdalevacationrentals.com/ for the details.
I will be happy, if my share work for you.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 03:37 AM

Sarasota/Siesta Key, enough said......
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 05:04 AM
cd

John, you're not permitted to advertise here.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 08:38 AM

tuffer76,
Your first choices are very good. I live in Palm Beach and it is one of most perfect locations in Florida since it has some of the most beautiful beaches in Florida AND it is located near unlimited resources in regards to restaurants, comfortable tourist sites and popular destinations, such as Miami's South Beach. Captiva is beautiful and quiet, but after 3 days, you will wonder what else there is to do besides listening to the wind blowing.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 11:00 AM

If all you want to do is chill, take a look at Sanibel and Captiva Islands off Fort Myers. By June Naples is just dead, and there's really nothing to do there. I mean really nothing.

Go a little north, cross the causeway and feel yourselves really relax. The food is great, you can do all the shelling you want. There's birdwatching, really good fishing, and decent beaches. (The beaches aren't the greatest I'll admit, but I'll take the package as a whole.) You should be able to get a decent flight from NJ to Ft. Myers. You'll want to rent a car, but by then the rates are better.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 12:40 PM

I have been going to Captiva and Sanibel Islands for years. Very nice place to go. We stayed in Tween Water Inn most of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -