Florida Panhandle Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually stay on Captivia Island but I'm considering going to the Panhandle area (if my flights don't work out). Is there a beach and location in the Panhandle area that is similar to Captivia Island?

That is to say, a quiet uncrowded natural beach, no high rise buildings, no intense traffic, and an easy laid back vibe?

Also, which airport would be the best arrival point for the Panhandle area? And I would need to rent a car, right?

Thanks,
Aranda
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 08:55 AM

Rosemary Beach and Seaside are lovely and sound like what you are looking for. Mexico Beach and Cape San Blas is also very quiet and laid back.

I would think the Tallahassee airport would be the most convenient. We always drive down since we are so close so someone else will have a better idea regarding airports.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 11:12 AM

You will not, unfortunately, find anything like Captiva along the "Redneck Riviera" as development of every possible inch of beach is highly revered here. However, the state park at Grayton Beach is thankfully protected, and the state park at St Andrews also always gets high marks from the beach ratings folks. Off shore from Panama City is Shell Island, a mostly (thus far) undeveloped barrier island with peaceful shell gathering. You can take a boat trip out there from the end of PC Beach. Farther east, Cape San Blas is good, and St George Island is very nice, although both are quickly filling up.

I'd say it sounds like Grayton Beach and the area around Seagrove sounds most like what you're looking for-some old-timey Fla cottages still mixed in with a walkable village atmosphere that is more authentic that the over-crammed touristy Seaside (and I say that with great sadness, as it had such potential when it began):great restaurants, chic boutique shopping, miles of boardwalks for biking/walking, and the protected beach.

Tallahassee is a long drive from the coast unless you're headed towards the eastern beaches-for anything west of Apalachicola, fly into Panama City or Valparaiso (PFN and VPS codes). VPS flights are usually cheaper and closer to Seagrove. The water along here is normally spectacularly green (hence the "real" name of the Emerald Coast) but the sugar-sand beaches are now routinely being dredged (oops, should call that "renourished") due to all the buiding on the coast. Come while you can still see it the way it should be.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 11:15 AM

Depending on what part of the panhandle you are going to, you could fly into either Pensacola or Tallahassee.

If you go to the Grayton-Seagrove area, I think Pensacola might be closer.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 11:20 AM

Also, don't forget Okaloosa airport (VPS). Here is some info as their regular website seems to be having problems:

http://www.co.okaloosa.fl.us/airport_term.html
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

These were really great leads. Thank you so much.

One more question: how is St. Joseph Peninsula State Park? Is this also in the Redneck Riviera? How is the vibe there and in the surrounding area?

I knew that the Panhandle was referred to as the Redneck Riviera but I didn't want to insult anyone.

I knew there just had to be some spots that haven't been over developed and retain at least a little of that old Florida feel. What a wonderful time that must have been.

I'm just looking to stretch out from my usual visits to Captivia Island and see something new, but maintain that same sort of feel. Know what I mean?

Thanks,
Aranda
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 12:25 PM

Please do consider St. George Island, near Apalachicola. You could fly into either Tallahassee or Panama City, and then rent a car. St. George Island has lovely beaches and a few nice places to stay and in Apalachicola, basically across the bridge, there are a couple of lovely inns.
The last time I was there, it was not as upscale or expensive as the Grayton/Seagrove area, much less yuppified.
Sorry to say, I don't know for sure if there is a beach area left in Florida with no high rise buildings. We fought them like mad here in Pensacola but over the couple of decades since, the urge for 'growth' has held out. Used to be like paradise around here.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM

We also have spent several years going to Captiva and Sanibel and are looking for something less expensive and laid back. We have booked a place at St. Georges Island for July. Any suggestions on where to eat and things not to miss?
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 01:52 PM

While there are several airports in the Panhandle including Pensacola, Okaloosa, and Panama City, only Pensacola is served by the cheaper airlines as in Air Tran. Renting a car is no problem but congestion along the coastal highway can make a short trip very frustrating. Any of the Florida State Parks on the waterfront are worth seeing and spending time in and they all offer different amenities and levels of nature. As other writers mentioned, developmental pressures have ruined the views if you are not staying in a condo or hotel, but this time of year prices are very reasonable. Rosemary Beach and Seagrove are cute litle villages with several upscale dining places but price doesn't not guarantee quality.