florida keys...short question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mom traveling with 11 yr old and 16 yr old.....wanted to give them just a flavor of the Keys...staying in south beach. what should we attempt in a day trip? Would love one memorable spot or sight. Thank you experienced travelers.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:40 AM

Try John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park --- great for snorkeling & they have glass bottom boat tours. And it's not too far into the keys --- it's on Key Largo (from Miami to Key West can take 3-4 hours). If memory serves me right, Key Largo will only take you about 1&1/2 hours driving from South Beach (with no traffic). This park is a great way to show your kids about marine life and the importance to preserving our coral reefs.
http://www.pennekamppark.com/

***But just a word of caution --- when traveling into the keys, give yourself alot of travel time for your return trip. It's a 2 line road (one heading south & 1 heading north) & whenever there is an accident, traffic can come to a stand-still. So, I wouldn't plan much that same night that you're returning from the keys, just in case you get back to South Beach later than you expected.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Absolutely great advice....thank you for your kindness!
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:06 AM

no problem.

by the way, the keys (as you can imagine) have great & fresh seafood restuarants. i'm particularly fond of "The Fish House" on Key Largo & it's family friendly. Address - MM 102.4, OS, Key Largo; Tel: 305/451-4665; www.fishhouse.com

i'd ask the locals at john pennekamp.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Wow! what a great tip! Looking forward to our day trip to the Keys!
Thank you!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM

I've just returned from a weekend in the Keys,and I urge you to consider the alternative route into and out of Key Largo unless you want to be sitting in traffic staring at mangroves for hours instead of snorkeling. There is major construction on US 1 going into the Keys, and the traffic is often backed up for miles.
Take CARD SOUND ROAD from US 1 in Florida City. TURN LEFT when you see the Last Chance Saloon on the right. There will be a sign to point the way. Follow that toll road ($1) for about 20 minutes, over the bridge until the end then TURN RIGHT at the stop sign. You'll find yourself back on US 1 in 8 miles. You might want to consult a map just to keep your bearings, but its super easy with almost no chance in getting lost. Your first real view of the Keys will be atop the Card Sound Bridge, and its amazing!