Florida keys in 10 days

Search

Florida keys in 10 days

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida keys in 10 days

I will be in the Keys in March for 10 days. Renting a car and wondering if anyone has a suggested itinerary. Our home base will be Key Largo. Thanks for the help!! This is a budget vacation.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 12:27 PM

I was in the Keys at the beginning of March.
Are you going March 2010?

10 days sounds like a long time in the Keys, unless you plan on doing a lot of fishing, kayaking, snorkeling etc.

There is not a lot to see otherwise.

I was very disappointed in Key West. It seemed like a tourist trap with lots of chain restuarants, bars and t-shirt shops and cruise ships at the dock. In fact, anyplace that has a "Ripley's Believe it or not" is almost always a tourist trap.

The Hemingway house was very interesting as well as the "SOuthernmost Point". Mallory Square in Key West has a sunset festival with lots of high quality street performers.

The Whaler's Inn Seafood Buffet was excellent. Wish we could have gotten there more than once. I hear it is top rated in the country.

The restaurants all seem to close pretty early - before 9pm.

We stayed at the Conch Key Cottages for 2 nights which was recommended here on the forums and really enjoyed it.

What are you planning to do in the Keys?
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 12:30 PM

I haven't been there in a few years, but Calypso's Seafood Grill had AWESOME tuna tacos last time I was there...
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 01:36 PM

The keys are definitely a get out on the water type place instead of a driving up and down US 1 kind of place.

Bars and restaurants open early and close early.

Get out over the water. That is where the most amazing things in the keys are.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Key West has so many restaurants that aren't chain restaurants that you need far more than 10 days just in Key West to sample them all. If you never get off Duval Street in Key West, you'd swear it was just a tourist trap, but there are a few other streets too. :^)

We spent 2 days in Key West doing activities last year and had so much more to do that we're planning 4 or 5 days this year. I think you are really limiting yourself if you base in Key Largo. There is so much more to the Keys than that and you'll weary of the drive each day. Try basing in Marathon instead, unless you want to go all the way to Key West.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Good places to eat at in Key Largo (about 5 years ago) are Mrs. Mac's, Tugboat's (they used to have award winning conch chowder) and The Fish House. Hog Heaven in Islamorada was great, but I don't know if they are still open - don't let the name scare you, the food was wonderful and prices beyond compare. Have a good time in Key Largo - we always liked it but just haven't gone back there for a while so my info might be old.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Egads NOT Marathon.

Marathon has the least personality of any Key.

Islamorada would be much better.

I'm not a fan of Key West because it is so different from what it used to be that it has turned into one big tourist trap.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Key West can be a tourist trap if you fall for it. We hardly ever go into any shops on Duval. We spend our time doing beach/water activities, biking, people watching and eating good seafood.

One reason we like Key West is because we can be reasonably sure that it is warm there in February/March if we can string together a long weekend.

You are right GoTravel it has changed quite a bit over the years. Our first trip there was in the late 70s and it sure isn't the same. But I can say that about everywhere we go in Florida.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!!!! I have been to Key West--not impressed. The person I am travelling with has not. Thought we would drive down there--spend a couple hours and come back. I loved the cemetary there--walking around--found it interesting. She may want to see the southernmost point. We are not shoppers. I spent 5 days there and there isnt much to do but bar hop and eat. We are getting a decent priced place almost on the water. We will be mostly enjoying the warmth and having cocktails and grilling out. She is interested in the glass bottom boat thing and I love to snorkle. I also love to fish and want to take a couple half day grouper fishing charters. On a budget--it will probably have to be a party boat or head boat. Anyone have suggestions there??? How about the other keys --- worth taking a few hours a day to travel? Thanks again for the help.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

What about the drive down to Key West? I hear that there are some nice little Tiki bars along the way--obviously I wont be drinking but my friend will!!