Florida Itinerary Help

Jun 28th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Florida Itinerary Help

Any suggestions/recommendations would be gratefully received.

We are planning a trip with friends next year, neither family has been to Florida let alone the US before and we would sincerely appreciate a bit of help making our first visit an enjoyable and memorable one.

We would like to visit the theme parks/disney the first week and then chill out the second week. There are two 10 year olds and a three year old to entertain so the chill out week also needs to have something to keep them amused.

We dont mind driving and are happy to hire a car to get around.

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Cheers

Jun 28th, 2004, 12:30 PM

Hi there
Having been to Orlando quiet a few times the one thing that my family has always enjoyed is hiring a villa for the two weeks you are there....its not much more expensive than a reasonable hotel...has many advantages ....you have your own pool...kids can be as noisy as they want and i suppose you get to live like an American for a few weeks....if you need any help email me

Its great youll enjoy it

Ade (Wales UK)
Jun 28th, 2004, 02:36 PM

When we visit Florida, we spend the first week at Disney and then head to the Gulf Coast for the second week to chill out. There are many condos available to rent right on the beach. We have been to St. Pete's a couple of times and are going to Siesta Key this winter. Your children would probably enjoy the beach. Busch Gardens is also near this area.
Jun 28th, 2004, 04:01 PM

After a week in Disney, I would head to the Atlantic Coast. Spend a morning or afternoon at Cape Caneveral - the kids will love seeing where the space shuttle takes off from and the museum and tour are interesting. You can also see alligators there. You may want to then head down to Fort Lauderdale for the remainder of your stay or someplace else closer.
Jun 30th, 2004, 08:54 AM

I would second the recommendation to head to the Gulf Coast for the second week. You could stay around Clearwater or St. Petes Beach, which is close to Tampa (Busch Gardens, large aquarium, etc.) -- this is about 100 miles from Orlando. You could head to Anna Maria Island, a little further south - Anna Maria Island is more quiet, laid back, very family friendly. You could go even a little further south to Siesta Key, which is a more upscale than Anna Maria Island and also has beautiful beaches. Or, go even a little further south to Sanibel Island (which is about 2 hours from Tampa), Sanibel is world-renown for its shelling, and the wildlife is just stunning.

If it were me, I would probably go to Anna Maria Island, but I'm biased - I went to high school around there and just really like the laid back feel. Sanibel would be my first choice except it is further down and I just don't enjoy driving on vacation.
Jun 30th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Whether you like the Atlantic or Gulf Coast is a matter of opinion, but I will point out one thing: If you have children and you're looking for ocean waves, the Atlantic coast is the way to go. The water on the Gulf is quite calm.

For me, if I'm going to the ocean, I want waves.
Jun 30th, 2004, 09:47 AM
GoTravel

Agree spend a week at the parks and a week at the beach.

If you decide on the East Coast of Florida, go south of the Palm Beach area for the beautiful clear blue turquoise water.

Jul 3rd, 2004, 04:09 PM

disney's hotels are a vacation alone. check out animal kingdom lodge, dixie landings, fort wilderness lodge. the kids will be completely entertained and you don't need a car if you stay on property. shuttle buses will get you around. as for the other week, the atlantic coast offers alot of options. disny has disney vero beach resort. maybe you can get a package deal. kennedy space center is close by if you want a day trip. also the florida keys is a great place and offers alot of variety. check out cheeca lodge in islamorada. it's smack in the middle of the keys and the lodge offers alot for the kids and there's alot of day tripping you can do. whatever your choices wear alot of sunscreen. the fl. sun is unforgiving without it. enjoy.
Jul 3rd, 2004, 05:14 PM

Finish Orlando and Disney your first week,then make the 6hr drive over the the Panhandle area of Panama City Beach/Destin/Pensacola Beach.These are by far the nicest beaches in FL! Plenty of condo rentals availible,too.Check out 800PCBeach.com