Florida Beaches

Mar 19th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Original Poster
Florida Beaches

Yesterday, I posted a question about beaches in North or South Carolina. I appreciate all the responses. We may be changing our mind to Florida. Again, we will be traveling at the beginning of May and we want to be warm on that beach (trying to get some color in our pasty upstate NY skin!) We know about Ft. Myers Beach (we've both been there) but, we think we'd like someplace new. Any suggestions? Something easy to get to from a nearby airport (we don't want to rent a car). Our plan really is just to relax near the water for a few days...no sightseeing, no shopping. OHHHH...I can't wait.
What do you guys think?
hip chic
Mar 19th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Anyplace in Fla. in May should be warm enough for sun bathing. Without a car, the only issue is staying somewhere where restaurants/nightlife is within walking distance. Certainly South Beach should be at the top of a "hip chic's" list. Plenty of info on hotels here at every price point. Fly into Miami.

Less hip but still youngish is Delray Beach. There's a nice Marriott on the ocean.-There's also a more affordable place called the Colony. The hotel is not on but near the ocean. They have their own "beach club" though with a free shuttle. The main street (Atlantic Ave.) has lots of bars & restaurants. Closest airport would be West Palm but Ft Lauderdale airport isn't far either.

The area in Ft Lauderdale where the Marriott Harbor Beach is located is also good without a car. Lauderdale by the Sea is also nice & I think has enough nightlife within walking distance.

There's a website roomsavers.com that has some good discounts.

Mar 19th, 2004, 11:31 AM
I would second the South Beach suggestion. You can relax on the beach and walk to everything. It will be pretty hot and humid in May though. Some parts of the Keys have good beaches, but you probably need a car and there's not a lot to do. Have a great trip.
Mar 19th, 2004, 12:13 PM
If you want something low-key and laid-back, I'd suggest either Passe-a-grille or Sunset Beach in the St. Petersburg area. Fly into either Tampa or Clearwater/St. Pete airports. There are great airfare deals from pasty upstate NY. There's a shuttle from Tampa airport to the beaches, and I presume there's one from Clearwater/St. Pete. Also, there's a beach shuttlebus that runs along the St. Pete beaches that costs $1.50. It will take you where you need to go.
Mar 19th, 2004, 04:04 PM
If you have ruled out Ft Myers & Sanibel then how about Destin? It is on the Gulf, nice beach & water. We were there in Oct & it was still warm. Nothing much to do unless you looked for it. We just relaxed on the beach. You might even see sea turtles nesting if you're lucky!

Here are a couple of sites with info.
Mar 19th, 2004, 04:37 PM
If you can find an airline that will into Naples, you can stay in sevveral downtown hotels, walk to the beach, and walk to a variety of good downtown restaurants, art galleries, bars, and more.

Anywhere within a mile and a half arc of where the pier joins the shoreline in downtown Naples would give you a great, relaxed, no-car vacation.

The beginning of May is still not summer in Florida, so being pretty far south, such as Naples, gives you a better chance at a tan.

Mar 19th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Hi hipchic,

I would agree w/ tandoori girl re St. Pete's Beach or Pass a Grille... great beach... low key... nice shelling...
very nice w/ no crowds.
Mar 20th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Original Poster
Thanks for your responses! You guys are great. I am checking ALL of your suggestions out. I will let you know what we decide!
hip chic

Search this Thread