Best Florida Beach

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Stacey

Best Florida Beach

We are looking to travel to Florida in September and are looking for a great beach. My husband and I are 29 years old and are looking for a great hotel/resort on the beach and an area that has a good nightlife (not necessarily clubs - just good restaurants and casual bars). Any suggestions on areas and/or specific hotels would be greatly appreciated.

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:29 PM
shar

Check out the sugar white (soft)sandy beaches in Destin, Fl. the movie :the truman show was filmed in seaside, fl/. It is on the gulf of mexico... the water is so clear... I love it

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:46 PM
aaaaaaa

Siesta Key on the Gulf Coast is gorgeous, great beaches, food & drinks.
Check siestkeychamber.com for lodging inf0
Beach is usually on all the Top 10 lists.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Will

Check out Fort Lauderdale Beach. The crowd here is not quite as old as some other Florida beach towns. There are 100's of great restaurants and clubs. If you stay at any of the hotels near the beach you can walk to alot of bars and restaurants. The Marriott BeachPlace is right in the middle of everything. There also is a Holiday Inn right there as well. You also could try Palm Beach. The beach is great and the nightlife along Clematis St downtown and at CityPlace is great.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:22 AM
Doug

New Smyrna Beach! Great sandy beaches.
Safe small town atmosphere and many good to great casual restaurants.

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:34 AM
nono

"aaaaaa"

You are a Chamber employee pushing the chamber site and all lodging listed there has PAID you to be included. That is a NONO on Fodors.

Old May 29th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Geoff

Grayton Beach...hands down winner.

Old May 29th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Connie

St Joseph Peninsula was just named the best beach in the U.S.

Old May 29th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Peter

Just wondering, What part of the state is Grayton Beach located?

Old May 29th, 2002, 04:59 PM
wncang

Grayton Beach is on the panhandle, between Destin and Panama City. It's a beautiful beach.

Old May 29th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Peter

Thanks, WNCANG!! Sounds nice. Maybe like Naples was 30 years ago? Or is anyplace like that impossible nowdays?

Old May 29th, 2002, 08:16 PM
native son

Grayton Beach (on 30-A) between Sandestin and Seagrove Beach is definitely a winner. As well as Seaside and Seagrove. If you're a younger couple, though, with no kids, you might want to stay closer in to Destin, near Sandestin, if you want to be near some nightlife.

Good restaurants in that area:
Criollas (top 20 restaurant in Florida)
Picolos Red Bar (very, very casual)
Vintij (great wine selection)
Cuvee Beach (stellar wines)
Bud & Alley's

Good nightlife:
Ocean Club (upscale)
AJ's (outside palapas- very casual)
Fudpuckers Destin (relaxed outside)
The Boathouse

Old May 30th, 2002, 03:01 AM
claire

Clearwater or St. Pete beach -- they're about 20 miles apart. Clearwater is the widest with the softest powdery sand in the state, next to Siesta Key, which is also lovely. There's a lot of activity around both. Ft. Lauderdale is active, but the beach is narrow and the sand isn't as nice as the gulf side. Also the gulf is generally very calm; the Atlantic side is more "ocean-like." Depends on what you like.

Old May 30th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Mike W

I would say the Delray Beach Marriott. A nice hotel for a Marriott, with views of the ocean. Delray Beach has a nice, wide, soft sand beach and the Marriott has a nice pool, hot tub and pool bar area right there. It is by no means a retiree's hotel. Across the street to the south is Boston's on the Beach, which is a good restaurant and bar, serving various seafood, and more traditional fare. They usually have live bands on the weekends.

Atlantic Avenue (the hotel is on the corner of Atlantic Ave. and A1A) has a bunch of restaurants, shops, and further to the west (but still walking distance) a couple of clubs.

Delray Beach is also within twenty minutes of West Palm Beach's Cityplace and Clematis Street.

Another "directly on the beach" hotel/resort is the Jupiter Beach Resort in northern Palm Beach County. Again, directly on the beach with a pool, etc., but this one is more of a secluded location, with no restaurants/bars within walking distance.

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Susan

But the Marriott in Delray is not "directly on the beach"! While it is on the corner of Atlantic & A1A it is on the northwest corner (i.e, across the road from the beach!)Not a big deal unless you do not want a road between you & your beach!

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Will

Delray Beach has just undergone a giant widening project. I would say that it is now the WIDEST beach in the State. I remember the water lapping almost up to A1A a year ago. Now the beach is so wide it is a long walk down to the water. You can truly find your own private place in the sun on this beach. Delray Beach has plenty to do within a walk of the Marriott. The downtown area is quaint and there is a great nightlife thu-sat nights that rivals Clematis St in WestPalm. Miami/FtLauderdale/WestPalm/BocaRaton are all close-by so I can gaurantee you will never be bored!

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Jackie

My pick for a September vacation would be Daytona Beach. It has a little bit of everything.

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:10 AM
wayne

I live in Florida and travel all over the state. I have to say that the Atlantic beaches are simply not as good as the powdery white beaches on the Gulf side. If you are looking for diversity of environment, great restaurants and other attractions, fly into Tampa or St. Petersburg-Clearwater airport and go to the south end of St. Pete Beach then over to Fort DeSoto Park, which has the most beautiful beaches you'll ever find, and they stretch for miles with fewer tourists than places like Destin. Hotels and motels abound in St. Pete Beach, or you can choose the lesser-known secret and unique village of Pass-a-Grille on the south end of St. Pete Beach. Pass-a-Grille is a low-key, lovely little village that is now a National Historic District, with 2 miles of beautiful white sand beach plus all the attractions of the St. Petersburg area next door.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:50 PM
Donna

Grayton Beach is wonderful: sugar white sand beaches, turquoise water like a bathtub, unique little restaurants and galleries but not commercialized, over 50,000 acres of coastal State Park, and only one mile from Seaside. You can go to Seaside for activities, yet avoid the traffic and crowds. Very Norman Rockwell, with quaint street scenes, friendly people, great dogs, little posses of beach kids running here and there. Will remind you of your childhood at the seashore!