Anchorage Hotel info from those who stayed there this summer 2006

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some recommendations from those of you who stayed in Anchorage this summer 2006. I've logged onto tripadvisor and frankly none of the top hotels sound great. Captain Cook has good reviews but there is no air conditioning and the windows only open a few inches! (Summers in Alaska can get very warm... how is the hotel without air?) The other 2 hotels we're considering besides Captain Cook, are the Marriott downtown and the Westmark. Please help...
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 04:39 PM

It's not a "top' hotel which we could have done, but I believe was even better with ammenties and comfort. The Fairfield Inn...between town and airport (you WILL have a car, right?)
You might want a hotel downtown to walk around, but you can always drive there and park.
The Fairfield Inn (a Marriott hotel)is VERY NEW, clean, good beds and pillows, Windows open full, OR has A/C, quite nice buffet super contintntal breakfast, AND 2 complementary internet computers in the lobby.
We just stayed there a night going and 2 nights arriving...there is a complementary shuttle to airport if you want to turn in the car the night before. There are numerious good restaurants in the vicinity of the FAirfield Inn. We think it's a good value.
You would probably like the Marriott downtown if you want to be in that area. No breakfast etc.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:31 PM
KMK

Mmmm, actually it DOESN'T get very warm in Anchorage (& you really can't generalize the weather for this whole, huge state!) The record high EVER is 85 degrees, and I don't think we hit 80 this past summer; it's usually high 60s/low 70s. It's delightful - that's why we live here! We bought a condo this summer, and I don't think I even saw a listing that had air-conditioning.

However, without the A/C, I would want the windows to open, so I can see your point on the Captain Cook. I've never stayed there, so I don't know if mainly it is well ventilated enough that that is not an issue; did any of the reviews complain about being hot? And when in summer you are here makes a big difference; in early June, I wouldn't give it a second thought. All your choices sound good, although I have not stayed at any of them since I live here - if you can afford to stay downtown, the ambiance is a lot nicer; I don't recall the Fairfield being in a partiularly scenic location, but I think the hotel is fine & new & probably a good value.

Another good choice would be some of the B&Bs - Anchorage is full of them & a lot of them look really nice, although I have no specific recommendations in that regard, you'd have to do some research. (This could potentially save you money & get you a nice place to stay.) This site gives information and links to a lot of them:
http://www.anchorage-bnb.com/grid.htm

Good luck on your trip planning!
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:42 PM

No one likes a hotel "view" better than my husband and I. It's very important, however when in Anchorage for such a short time it wasn't necessary. We drove all around the city and out into the suburbs etc.(The Fairfield had everything BUT a view,(however open area around) but it did have very large windows that opened full..and we loved the fresh air. This was last last month, end of Aug, beginning of Sept.
Our other NINE days were in other towns and areas of Alaska and we had LOADS of gorgeous views...and tried each night to get views from hotel rooms. What a beautiful State...exquisite scenery at every turn.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:01 PM

This past July we spent one night at the Hilton downtown and one night at the Millenium. For the prices, neither one is spectacular but there doesn't seem to be that much choice in Anchorage. We liked the Millenium, it had a great bed, a/c and we got our rate with breakfast which is served in a restaurant overlooking where the sea planes land and take off. Hilton was fine. I was looking for a place with a great view and when we were there, I realized that there weren't really the views I had thought. It's a city that does have nice views but I have to agree that outside Anchorage the sights are much more beautiful. While in Anchorage you must eat at Paris. Wonderful food and service not the most ambiance.