Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Will this work for 5 days prior to cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, dupe of incorrect posting!

We depart Seward on Regent cruise on Wed. June 27th. My wife and I have never been to Alaska and want a "sampler" itinerary. Prefer Alaskan hotels and food (not chains). Would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions:

Friday night ... June 22nd arrive Anchorage

Rent car at airport (Kayak/Avis has Impala for 81/day). QUESTION: can we pick up at airport and leave at train station?

Hotel Captain Cook QUES: is there a view that is nicer than others?

Saturday ~ walk around and then head to Denali

QUES: must sees while walking around Anchorage?

Stay Denali Bluffs Hotel QUES: any view or room type you would recommend. I hate to say cost is not important but secondary to view and experience. Do they take those discount coupons? The 2007 information has not been released.

Take Rafting Whitewater run that evening.

Sunday

Take the 7a.m.ish tour of park that returns about 12 hours later.

QUES: Any excellent local restaurants around here?

Monday

Drive to Talkeetna for flightseeing. QUESTIONS: any suggestions on company to use? I am a pilot so would look forward to this adventure.

If weather not good, would consider the jetboat trip. Any thoughts?

Drive back to Anchorage and stay at a hotel close to train station? QUESTION: do you know of a hotel close to train station that is nice or would it make sense to stay at Capt. Cook? Also, do most of the car rental companies allow you to return airport rental cars to train station?

Tuesday

Take Coastal Classic train to Seward. QUESTION: is their one side of the train that is better than the other? How is the food? The train leaves before 7am.

QUESTION: will not have car in Seward. Would like the nicest "local" hotel with views or great location. Any suggestions? How about great local restaurant?

Wednesday

Will take a Kenai Fjords tour. One leaves about 8 and returns about 2. QUESTION: any suggestions on company?

Our cruise leaves about 6.

Thanks for your help.

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:31 AM

We enjoyed the Public Market in downtown Anchorage. It's a mix of food vendors, crafts, music. Good chance to try somethings you can't get at home. The Anchorage visitors center is in a beautiful log cabin. It's a little early in the summer but you will still see a lot of gorgeous flowering baskets and planters throughout Alaska. You ought to love a visit to the lake where the float planes are moored. A drive by is included on the trolley tour. You might have time for a visit to Independence Mine north of Wasilla on way to Denali (Hatcher Pass is closed before July 4). Interesting history and photographs of when it was a booming mining town plus nice views. BUT you might want to stop at the Transportation Museum in Wasilla because they have a lot of information about early flight in Alaska plus some planes on display. It's a small museum but as a pilot I think you would enjoy the information about the first bush pilots. You might get a kick out of reading the Iditarod Air Force, about the volunteer pilots who ferry dogs and supplies during the Last Great Race. The Title Wave bookstore in Anchorage should have it.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:40 AM

I'll take a shot, but I'm sure others will chip in.

QUESTION: can we pick up at airport and leave at train station?

Not likely, unless they've changed policy. My info isn't current, tho.

Hotel Captain Cook QUES: is there a view that is nicer than others?

Most of the views are decent, some folks don't like the west facing rooms because on very sunny days the rooms heat up. I've only been in a room for a short time, but I've been in the top floor dining and bar areas. I think an inlet view would be nice.

QUES: must sees while walking around Anchorage?

Market is a nice and fun diversion but not that big. Museum of history and Art is lovely and has a very good museum cafe. Or get a view table at Simon & Seafort's for lunch.

Hotel QUES: any view or room type you would recommend.

Don't know this place, sorry.

Any excellent local restaurants around here?

Dining here is very hit and miss. Wouldn't call any consistently excellent. Best dining, by far, is in the Anchorage area.

Pilot?

A big name is Doug Geeting, but I blieve he has sold K2 Aviation and still flies for them. I'm sure others have a more up-to-date rec here.

If weather not good, would consider the jetboat trip. Any thoughts?

Not that great, especially if the weather is bad.

do you know of a hotel close to train station that is nice or would it make sense to stay at Capt. Cook?

Try the Comfort inn at Ship Creek.

Would like the nicest "local" hotel with views or great location. Any suggestions? How about great local restaurant?

I'd say the Holiday Inn Express and Ray's.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 08:11 AM

QUES: Any excellent local restaurants around here?

This one definitely qualifies as excellent, but requires a car to get there. It is south of the downtown area.
You will not be disappointed!

Southside Bistro
1320 Huffman Park Drive
Anchorage
(907) 348-0088
www.southsidebistro.com

QUESTION: do you know of a hotel close to train station that is nice or would it make sense to stay at Capt. Cook?

Agree with repete who recommended the Comfort inn at Ship Creek. A good restaurant very close to the Comfort Inn is The Bridge. Their phone number is (907) 677-6771. The restaurant is literally a bridge across Ship Creek and offers a nice view with a creative menu. They are open for both lunch and dinner.

QUESTION: will not have car in Seward. Would like the nicest "local" hotel with views or great location. Any suggestions? How about great local restaurant?

Again, I agree with repete regarding Ray's ! They have good food with a great view of the small boat harbor.

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM

Yup, O-V's posts about Anchorage options are good. I wqas just talking about the dining around the Denali part of your trip.

Anchorage dining has some great choices. Don't know the Bridge but Southside is a great spot. For high end, also Orso or the Glacier Brewhouse (casual but good) in the city. Plus, I know you'll be headed to Seward on the train, but for my money, they drive and dinner at Double Musky or perhaps the Seven Glaciers (clear night only for 7G) in Girdwood could end up being one of the highlights of your trip. The Musky has been a personal fav since the early 80s and just stays great.

http://www.doublemuskyinn.com/

http://www.orsoalaska.com/

http://www.glacierbrewhouse.com/home.htm