Search

Flights to Boston at Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flights to Boston at Christmas

Hi Fodorites,
We visited an aunt in Boston in June and she has the sweetest soul ever. She's been in rehab ever since we left with many medical problems. I would really like to take the family back to see her at Christmas, if only for a few days (4-5). After checking on kayak.com it appears that you get a better price stayng for five days. Having NEVER flown during the holidaze, my question is this: Do you wait to see if a better price will show up the closer you get or should you just go ahead and book now?

Thanks in advance for any help you seasoned Christmas time travellers can offer.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:10 PM

It's not that early to book for Christmas. Where are you flying from and what prices are you seeing?
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Also, are you going to Boston Boston and not having a car, or are you willing to fly into Providence or Manchester using Southwest or other airlines and then drive in?
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Prices will not likely get better (I book several relatives into Boston every Christmas).

I doubt the difference is staying 5 days as opposed to a shorter or longer time period but which days you are trying to fly. Christmas is a Tuesday, so the Friday night and Sat/Sun prior will be peak flying days. The weekend after as well; however, the Thursday and Friday after will likely be cheaper.

What a nice thing for you to do.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan-

We're flying out of SFO but could fly out of Oakland just as easily. I've seen $406.00 RT up into the $500's.

Our aunt is actually in Worcester so would Providence be the closer airport? Don't think we'll really need a car with all the relatives there.

With as much as our auntie has been in and out of the hospital, even her son said to wait until maybe the first week of December before we book. I'm just a Nervous Nellie and worry about getting a good deal and space on the airplane!

Thanks you two!

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:29 PM

For Worcester, PVD (Providence) is extremely easy for someone to pick you up. About same distance as BOS, but less traffic and no toll. I think your relatives will prefer PVD than BOS. MHT is a little further and traffic not as good, but still okay.

$400 is not a bad fare for transcon. But on some dates, AA have fares SFO-BOS for $349, like 12/24 - 12/29; though the return has a connection at ORD. [Outbound is non-stop.] Non-stop both ways 12/24-12/29 will be $419.

But if you go on 12/25 on the red-eye, and return 12/31, it's $338. Non-stop both ways.

So, play with the dates, and you may find some good fares. I doubt you can do better than $338, especially for non-stop.

OAK-BOS isn't much cheaper.

I checked Southwest for SFO/OAK - PVD/MHT, and all the cheap fares are gone.

I think you should check the various dates and book on AA now, if you wnat the non-stops. They're not going to get cheaper.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 05:51 PM

I NEVER watch the 6:30 news but saw one tonite. They featured airlines and airfares for the holidays. The concensus is book NOW. Airlines have reduced the size of the planes so while flight numbers are not down, the available seats are. Boston was on the list. A real crunch is predicted.

Kudos for for wanting to see your aunt. I think you should book ASAP.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM

If your relative lives in Worcester, MA, what about flying into that airport in Connecticut - Bradley Airport? That is about one hour from Worcester if there are flights from your area -
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan - WOW! I just got an e mail update from Southwest and they have a special into Providence of $99 each way! Gotta talk to the DH ASAP and book by 10/11. Thank you so much for recommending Providence!
gomiki - thank you for our input. Having neer flown during the holidaze I am getting ancy to book now.
esargot - I think I found my niche in Providence - see above
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Just an update and a thanks to all who felt compelled to offer advice.

I went through an agent (the company I work for uses her) and she was able to find us a flight out of Sacramento, one stop in Dallas, and on into Boston for $315.00. By the time I looked at the great prices on the Southwest deal all flights were taken. Over all I don't think I did too bad.

Now I'm hoping to find a place for the first three nights we are there (including my sister in law) that has a kitchen so we don't have to eat out. I didn't want to impose on my DH's Aunt and her family for the whole six days and thought this would be a better idea.

Thank you all for your great advice and help!