Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

FL Keys (Marathon) - recommendations requested

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Kim

We are headed for the Florida Keys in April. I was hoping to get some feedback on hotels/condos/etc.

As two couples traveling together it seems like a 2BR/2BA condo seems to be the best bet. But not being familiar with the Keys, I am not sure how the accomodations will be for the $$$. The Sombrero Resort looks like a good deal. I found a 2BR/2BA for $145/night. Is this a good deal? Do you know any other places to look at?

Your help is greatly appreciated. There is so much info on the Keys, it is somewhat overwhelming.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Donna

Check Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key which is just off of Marathon.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:17 AM
smiler

Kim: we have rented a half duplex in Key Colony Beach for the last two years. A 2 Bdrm 2 bath will cost about $900/wk..we find it nicer than a hotel...a quiet neighborhood off the busy overseas hwy, a canal in back, golf course nearby..we enjoyed it so much last year we will be back for first wk in march..most kcb rentals come with membership in the cabana club, (with pool beach and grill...)
k.c.b. realty (i am not affiliated) has been very pleasant to deal with...

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 05:31 AM
ray

to stay at key colony, do you have to bring your own bed linens?

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 05:41 AM
x

If you like nightlife stay away from KCB the area is a total snoozefest. There are no decent places to go at night and tons of retirees....

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Bonnie

IMHO, Marathon is nothing more than a series of strip shopping centers with water on both sides. We stayed there the first time we went down to the Keys and ended up driving to Key West and staying. As to Key Colony Beach, the above poster is correct it is boring, no nightlife, one restaraunt which charges exorbitant prices for so-so food.

I suggest you look into staying in Islamaroda, (Moorings or Hampton Inn Suites) lots of decent restaurants, the real flavor of the Keys more so than Marathon. Or Key West. In April you should get a good rate. Try the Galleon Resort, Truman Annex or do a text search here and you will find more info on places to stay, restaurants etc.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:00 AM
o

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:25 AM
Ka

You might try the Moon Bay condominiums in Key Largo. 12 miles from Islamorada and 2 minutes from Pennekamp State Park. Great pool and dock for watching sunsets. call them at (305) 451-0186 and ask for a list of owners who rent. They can also be rented from the local real estate offices.
The Keys are great!! Have a great time!!!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:29 AM
Wendy

We recently stayed at Key Lime Resort on Marathon- very basic, nothing fancy at all.

Our friends stayed at Sombrero Resort and liked it. The price sounds like what they paid.