FL Highway questions

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Nan

FL Highway questions

Which has LESS traffic in Southern Florida, I-95 or the Florida Turnpike?
When crossing the state, which road has more service areas and places to stop, Tamiami Trail or Alligator Alley? Which is the better highway?

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 03:17 PM
JoAnn

When we drove down (now we live in SW FL) we would pay the tolls and take the turnpike as we thought there was less traffic overall. Alligator Alley AKA I-75 is probably the better east west highway across FL, but there is less traffic on Tamiami, which has less service areas.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Carol

Hi Nan - At Christmas time we went from Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Myers via Alligator Alley. The drive was under two hours on the way down, however on the way home it took much longer because the other couple we were with insisted on seeing an aligator up close. When we left it was cold and raining, but on our return it started to warm up again and the alligators decided to come out and sun themselves. We really had a great time. We looked like real tourists (we were!!!). Driving home we made a game of it. Got out of the car when we saw an alligator and before we knew it there had to have been about eight other cars sight seeing with us.

Came home and told the grandkids about what we saw and how we shot organges at them to try to make them move and they thought it was just too cool for them.
OK, got off the subject a tad - Alligator all has plenty of service area's, exits and road phones in case of an emergency. I would have to say that Alligator is the way to go.

Have a great safe trip.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 04:13 PM
genie

The turnpike definately has less traffic.
Have a great trip.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Lenore

I have lived in South Florida for 14 years and have driven around the state extensively. Take the Turnpike and the Alley, they are better roads and will get you there quicker. Please be aware that there are not many "pit stops" on Alligator Alley, so be sure to plan wisely.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Patrick

Tamiami Trail between Naples and Miami is a two lane road which can be surprisingly busy and dangerous. Alligator Alley (I-75) is all four lane and divided ($1.50 toll each way) and much quicker and safer. There are two relatively new rest areas on this 88 mile stretch, plus a large "recreational" area where you can stop.
As to the difference between I-95 and the Turnpike, I'd call it a tossup, perhaps more traffic on I-95, but not enough difference to consider.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:30 AM
rob

when we go to the keys we take 95; then jump on the turnpike before hitting miami area which is really congested on 95.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Nan

Thank you all.