Reload this Page >

FL. Gulf Coast Experts...Please Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:15 PM
traveler

We would like to take a trip to Florida the first week of April. We think that we would like to visit the gulf coast. We have heard that the beaches are nicer but have never been to Florida before. We have only been able to narrow our choices down to somewhere between St. Petersburg and Marco Island. We are taking 2 kids (6&4). So a kids program would be nice. Other than that we would like a great beach, nice pool. We like to stay at higher end/ more upscale properties. Would love to hear some reports or suggestions on destinations and hotels.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Patrick

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are talking about this year, you may have a real difficulty getting into an "upscale" beach front place for the first week in April. I know that most of the major ones in the Naples area are long sold out, although you might try the brand new Hyatt resort at Coconut Creek (Bonita area).

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 08:21 PM
karen

hi, the gulf coast can be nice, but i would avoid st pete, as it is not very upscale. sarasota is actually beautiful, esp if you stay on longboat key. The Colony is a wonderful resort right on a beautiful beach. the rooms are very large, with kitchen areas and living rooms, and one or two bedrooms. you will really appreciate having the separate bedroom - get 2 double beds of course, and the living room folds out into another bed! if you are bringing the kids, after they go to bed, you and spouse can watch tv, snack, use bathroom, etc, without disturbing them. it specializes in tennis, which my husband loved; they have numerous pros, tennis clinics, private lessons and even a service where they guarantee to find you a player at your level to play with, and if they can not find such a person, one of the pros plays with you for free. thE INN at longboat key is also supposed to be nice, though it is much larger than THe Colony, and therefore may be harder to get around with little ones. sarasota is alos great bc these hotels are only 15-20 min from the airport which is nice after a long flight, and the airport is relatively small - the rental cars for most major cos are waiting right outside the airport doors - not parked in some remote parking lot. and sarasota is very cultural, good shopping and great restaurants. karen

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 03:44 AM
joan

Karen's right about Sarasota (and I live in St. Pete area). We stayed at the Resort at Longboat Key Club once and loved it. The description karen gave also works for this resort (big rooms with kitchens) - if you can still get a room. Also, consider flying into Tampa airport, if it's cheaper - it's only about one easy hour over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge to sarasota.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:23 AM
CF

What about Sundial Resort in Sanibel?

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:49 AM
Leone

WHAT DO YOU MEAN ... St. Pete is not upscale??? For your information, you can search all day in Sarasota and not come up with an R-rated family place like Captain K's ... and by golly, Joan, you knew that, having no doubt witnessed countless fun times as you cruised by on your tandem headed for poppers at Woodys. Look, ST P and TI need all the boosterism they can garner. You and I must do our part!!! By the way, I will be by for shrimp in April ... do you have a choice of sauces? Ciao

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:10 PM
patty

The website tlfamily.com (Travel & Leisure magazine) has an article on Sanibel Island and Captiva Island with an 8-year-old. They stayed at a condo in Sanibel and at South Seas Resort in Captiva and the article gives restaurants and activities ideas. I've personally never been but I clipped the article for future use since it sounded so nice.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 05:52 AM
joan

Leone, dahling, R does not equal upscale. Shiny gold polyester does not equal silk....

And yes, for you, there will be three choices of sauce on your shrimp: tartar, cocktail, and Don's homemade killer diller hot sauce. Wear black, 'cause I'll just know you'll spill some!

P.S. Getting ready to ride our bikes in the 75 degree sunshine. How's DC? (That was mean, I know, I just couldn't resist)

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 06:01 AM
L

Joan, yes, make my suace the Death By Habanero ... and I'll have on black for the occasion. Okay, okay, enjoy that sunshine and warmth on your tandem - I bet you're headed for lunch at Ricky T's. In DC, I am happy to report we'll be in the 70's today, but swinging down into the 40's tomorrow. By the way, that kite event at the Bilmar was amazing. As was the fried chicken at R-Bar on 108th. Can you believe someone took us to the Elks on Madeira - the food was miserable, but the music was sublime. I made a discovery of the third-hand smoke phenomenon - it was at Capt. K's onboard their elevator - next time I shall take the stairs. Have a good ride. Ciao

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:45 AM
Ridiculous

Joan and L ... I think it's SO fun to share together just like a sleepover when no one has the foggiest idea what you're talking about -- don't you agree?

Why don't you two just get a room? Failing that, correspond using your OWN email addresses, instead of putting it on public display.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:31 PM
L

Now, Ridiculous (I feel so ridiculous calling you that), would you like me to translate, and then you can join in the fun over these quite public airwaves? You see, Joan has access to this fab Gulf shrimp, with a selection of sauces, and when I fly in I'm ususally starved for great seafood. And someone has said St. Pete restaurants is an oxymoron. And Joan, being the terrific human being she is, is trying to help out Leone (that's me). But I keep getting waylaid over at Captain K's, a local place to dance, and Joan is trying to steer me, the way she does her tandem bike, to the more upright aspects of that area, and I've located this great chicken (but not of the sea) place off the beach on 108th, the R-Bar by name ... well, you the the idea. Ciao, L

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:46 PM
Selma

Leone: Does Joan own a restaurant or is she inviting you to her own home? What do you mean by "she has ACCESS to this fab Gulf shrimp"?

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:10 AM
GettinDownWitJ&L

'Kay, lemme see if I have this girltalk straight ...

Joan "has access" to fab (Fab? Whassup wit "fab?") gulf shrimp ... you mean, like an access door? And with a whole "selection" of sauces? Wow -- cool! Really? Like tartar and such?

And you keep getting "waylaid over at Capt K's" ... That's quite an admission -- waylaid by whom? Is it fun? Does the Captain do it?

But how can "St Pete restaurants" be an oxymoron if there's no stated basis of comparison?

Gosh, what a FUN post this was ... I wish I was part of this, too!

No I don't.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:41 AM
GulfCoaster

The real question is: What does this electronic tete-a-tete between The Girls have to do with the original question?

Traveler asked about destinations and hotels somewhere between St Pete and Marco (cuts a pretty good swath, I agree), and probably couldn't care less about Capt K's and his predilection for waylaying, Joan's selection of sauces for fab shrimp, going to the R-Bar OR the Elks, and the opportunities for tandem bike riding.

J & L: Another poster had a good idea: take it offline or stick to the subject. Sheesh.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:24 AM
joan

Sorry, guys. That WAS rude. Kind of like an "inside joke". I always hated them too. Won't do it again.

ANYWAY, back to the original topic: Traveler, have you read the first few suggestions? Any feedback?

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:27 AM
GulfCoaster

Gracious lady.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:45 AM
Nan

The west coast is beautiful. Go to your local bookstore, and for $12.95 get "Florida Beachfront Lodgings" by Gail Bottone. Simple, detailed, and all places are directly on the beach.
I don't know the writer nor do I have any interest in promoting her book for any reason. I live in Michigan and was just looking into places to stay as you are. The sunsets are gorgeous, the sand like sugar, warm water for kids. Places do fill up. Have fun!