Fishing Mammoth Lakes area

Old Feb 19th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fishing Mammoth Lakes area

Hello. I’m starting a new thread under Fishing. Thank you all for previous replies. Still considering Double Eagle Resort, Convict Lake Resort or Tamarack Lodge.

Have never been to the Mammoth Lakes area. We’re a very active couple by day [hiking, fishing, history of area, etc.]; also interested in the nearby cave tours, hot air ballooning, soaking in the natural hot springs. And then spend quiet evenings together, relaxing on our own private deck, admiring the views, fishing. We will be celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary so want to make this trip extra special. Originally from Minnesota where hubby was an excellent walleye fisherman but now he really wants to go for the trout!

As I mentioned in another thread, thought we would start out by exploring the southern end of Mono County [Convict Lake] for a few days, then head as far north as Twin Lakes or Virginia Lakes. Or maybe we should just stay put in a central location with easy access to explore other areas. Comments on this would be appreciated.

What I’m hoping to find is a cabin on the best trout fishing lake in the area with hiking trails nearby. The resort should be clean, quiet and have air conditioning [since we’ll be there in July]. Either be able to rent a boat on premises or fish right from shore near the cabin. I’ve seen a lot of negative reports on some resorts, although hard to say if they’re justified or not. We are by no means ‘picky,’ and are not looking for a ‘luxury’ resort; cleanliness, privacy, good fishing, easy access to hiking trails, beauty are what we’re looking for.

Does such a dream cabin exist?

Thank you.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 03:08 PM

There are plenty of luxury condos in Mammoth, but the fishing resorts are older and may not be as upscale as what you are wanting. Also, I doubt you'll need air conditioning at that altitude even in July...IIRC, Mammoth is at around 8000 feet. Naturally air conditioned.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Azzure: Thank you. What's IIRC? Oh, so there's varying degrees of elevations there, right? 'cause Bodie and Mono Lake will be hot, right? Hmmm, just don't know where to stay....the search continues.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 04:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
caribcarol, here's a website to start...

http://www.monocounty.org/where-to-fish/
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 06:53 PM

IIRC = if I recall correctly. I just looked up Mammoth and the townsite is at 8000 feet; the lakes (Lake Mary etc) are even higher. The Sierras are very high; many peaks are in the 14000 foot range. As for Bodie and Mono Lake, they are lower than Mammoth but be aware that all of the Eastern Sierra region in that area is a high plateau; even Bishop, the area's largest town, is over 4000 feet in elevation...that said, it can be very warm in Bishop in the summer.

I love the Eastern Sierra and used to backpack and camp there a lot...there are some wonderful hikes in the area.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 08:00 AM

The http://www.doubleeagle.com/ resort is just what you're looking for. We stayed in one of the cabins last May & found it to be outstanding.

Day trips & fly fishing on the Upper Owens was the best.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

thank you all for your replies. will just have to bite the bullet and book somewhere quick!
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Tamarack Lodge is very nice and has a superb restaurant -- the Lakefront. It is on Twin Lakes, in Mammoth, and near the other lakes in the area. Double Eagle is in the June Lake area and would be futher from the hot springs. Convict Lake is beautiful (it's a very pleasant hike to walk around it) and has a wonderful restaurant, but is somewhat more remote and I would guess the accommodations are less upscale. Also look into other cabins in the Lake Mary area - e.g., Crystal Crag.

It never gets very hot in the area, so air conditioning is not needed.

Consider going to Yosemite, the ghost town of Bodie, Mono Lake, and the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. If any of these is of interest, let me know and I'll be happy to provide more info.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM

There are many hiking trails in the Lake Mary/Twin Lakes area. Many different kinds of boats are rented at L. Mary. Some, but less of a variety, at Convict Lake. If you'll have a car, you can easily go to both.

I don't know which lakes have the best fishing.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

judilie: thank you. so looks like a toss up between double eagle and tamarack for accommodations, leaning towards tamarack. lake mary/twin lakes sounds perfect: hiking and boating.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 09:25 PM

We spend a week every summer in Mammoth. My DH is an avid fly fisherman. Now this is just my opinion but based on what you've listed as your ideal I think that in addition to considering Tamarack think about Woods Lodge. These places are pretty much right on Lake George. Or Crystal Crag Lodge on Lake Mary. Hikes out of Lake George are to TJ and Barrett Lakes. Not long. Whenever we drive around Lake George and Lake Mary we see the little cabins and think how cool it would be to stay in them. Then we forget and end up staying at a place with a pool cuz, well we got the kids....

http://www.mammothweb.com/lodging/woodslodge/

http://www.crystalcrag.com/

Double Eagle is nice but it's really not right on the lake or anything.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Suzie, thank you. Woods Lodge looks nice; wish they would post pix of interior cabins though; same with crystal crag. Yes, i decided against DE 'cause it's not on the lake. i can book a massage there though;-)
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 02:17 PM

I didn't read all the reply's but did anyone mention the cabins at Convict lake? We stayed there in Sept. & it was amazing. Clean, stocked & beautiful.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

ktspiv4: yes, i was seriously considering a stay at Convict but am now leaning towards something more central like mammoth. will probably make a day trip to convict and eat at their restaurant. thank you!
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 01:54 PM

You will not be disappointed with their restuarant. Great food! Have fun.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 03:38 PM

I know some fishermen who consider the best lake fishing to be at Lake Mamie, which is also the highest (other than Horseshoe which has no lodges around it). This would be flyfishing from a rowboat, at dawn and dusk. The lodge there, Wildyrie, is pretty rustic, however.

Tamarack probably has the "nicest" cabins, if you choose one the the deluxe ones. There is a road between the cabins and the lake, so none of them are right "on" the lake.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 09:40 PM

Lake George is higher than Lake Mamie or Horseshoe Lake. There are some cabins at George.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 09:51 AM

if you want an incredible guide use Joe: http://www.performanceanglers.com/guides.html
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much, Fodorites....you rock!