Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Firstime to northeast, (foreigners) vote on a) NYC, b) DC c) Boston,

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 06:49 PM
rolo paez

We are foreigners planning to visit first time the North east, We have to decide between NYC, DC or Boston, Wich one you would pick up first:

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 07:30 PM
A.M.

Washington, D.C. in the spring, during cherry blossom time, would be my suggestion although you pose a difficult question. All 3 cities have there merits.
A.M.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 07:45 PM
rolo paez

A,M, Thank you for your answer, although I should have explained that we plan to go during Fall. Would this change your answer?. Thanks, rolo

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 08:00 PM
diane

I also vote for Washington, D.C. The weather is usually very nice in the fall--September may still be hot, late Sept. and October usually beautiful, and November often still beautiful but getting colder as the month progresses. High temperatures in the 70s, then in the 60s, and finally in the 50s. There is rarely any snow before Christmas: every year we sing about White Christmases but seldom see them. The museums and other sights don't have nearly as many tourists. Put "mall" or "White House" or Washington, D.C. in the topic line above and you can get lots of very specific feedback about what to see, including a lot of discussion about whether it is worth it to stand in line to see the White House (I vote no).

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 08:53 PM
Cindy

I live in DC, but I'd defer to New York this time, if you can only go to one city. DC is great for American History, but NY will have more things that are familiar with. How can you do your first visit to the East Coast and skip NY? Just doesn't feel right.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 02:51 AM
Karen

New York. Fall is the best time, and it is a place like no other in the world. Boston in fall would be my second choice. The fall scenery will be lovely, but really there is no comparison between the two cities.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 04:06 AM
Dan

New York. There is truly no other city like it in the world. Boston would be my second choice.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 04:16 AM
don

New York, New York! What a beautiful town. Tons of things to do no matter what you interest might be. A lot of the charm of DC and Boston are related to American history, so that will depend on whether you are in to that kind of thing. I've only been to Boston in the summer, and I would think with the fall colors and all, that it and the area including Cape Cod would be beautiful at that time of year, but from a visitor's standpoint thereis such a variiety of thing in New York that you can do.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Howard

Echoing previous posters, all three are outstanding destinations, but New York wins hands down. How can you not choose NY, one of the great cities in the world!

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Pris

As readers of other threads will know, I'm a big Boston booster, even though I live elsewhere at the moment.

But: If you've never visited the US or the Northeast, I'd have to say you _should_ see New York. It's unique with an enormous variety of things to see and enjoy. And the autumn is lovely there, as it is throughout the Northeast. It represents a great deal about America even to Americans -- some not all good, but it's a great, memorable city to visit.

However, esp. since everyone else seems to be touting DC or NY, let me say that Americans themselves trek to Boston in early October for the "leaf peeping." The colors of the leaves and the beauty of the weather (usually) make that ultra-high season for Boston -- you won't see colors to rival them outside of some parts of Japan, and in Boston you also have the charm and culture of the city itself to see, which are considerable.

However, if you are coming from Europe, Boston is the least "different" from European cities. New York should be your first choice.

As to DC, it's also remarkable and lovely in fall -- which comes about 2-4 weeks later than up north, though foliage is less spectacular. The museums are "world-class," too, but not better than NYC. Otherwise, much of the significance of Washington would be greater for Americans who know our own history and are interested in current politics. But worth keeping in mind: It's only 2 hrs. by train south of NYC.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Philip

My vote is for New York City. Boston & DC are excellent places to visit,but if it's your first time it has to be NYC.

If you are coming in the fall, you may want to rent a car and drive upstate NY through the Hudson Valley (about 2 hours north of NYC). The leaves are changing on the trees and it is so beautiful.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 06:56 AM
jim

An absolute no brainer. NY !!
Those of us from the northeast all know deep down inside [depite what we may post] that New York is far and away the hands down choice. Boston and DC are great in their own right, but hey, let's get serious here.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 07:16 AM
Parrot Mom

Granted it's a toss up between New York and Boston in the Fall, but if your coming for foliage...Boston wins hands down.. Also, in the September/October season we are inundated with Europeans coming over to tour.. Boston is the most like Europe/London (no offense N.Y.). Small enough to be walkable. Boston is a favorite of foreign college students and they add their own flavor to the city..

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Jen

I recommend Boston or DC. Both have such great historical sites and places of interest, and are much less 'intimidating' than NYC. Personally, I think they are more scenic too.

NYC is not like any other city in the world; and that's either a good thing or a bad thing. I was born there, and I don't like NYC at all. Too much concrete and too many skyscrapers. I would go here as a second trip to the US.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Linda

New York is fun, exciting, interesting but is not like most of America. If you understand that, you will enjoy NY. If you like history and want to visit a vibrant, politically exciting city, then D.C. is not to be beat. NY has good museums but the Smithsonian is best and free. Boston is nice, historical and most like Europe of the 3 and the one from which you would be likely to take day trips. They are all different and worth a visit, so it depends on what you want to see and do. Have fun!

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 08:53 AM
James Michalek

If money's a bit tight, then Washington, DC offers more for free or cheap than probably anywhere in the world, although most of it concerns American Heritage and Government, but you could easily spend a couple years at the Smithsonian and not pay a dime.

One other thing that wins points for Washington: It didn't just pop up like the other two, or most other cities anywhere. It was planned from the ground up!

Having said that, I admit I've never been to Boston or New York. Let me get a marathon or two under my belt, then I'll run the races that made the east coast (and Grete Waitz, and Bill Rodgers). famous.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Beth

Gosh - If it's the fall - Why not New England? Id vote for Boston if you're talking foliage season! The best choice, also, for excellent side trips to quaint seacoast villages and inland mountain scenery!

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Chark

Rolo -- why not tell us where you are coming from, what you would most be interested in seeing, what is important to you?

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Parrot Mom

James....come on up for the Marathon...do you know the best thing about the Marathon besides the wonderful runners in all sizes and shapes...it's the people on the side of the road urging you on..with oranges and drinks.. We just love having you here... Spoke to a man from Mexico City who ran his first Boston Marathon and he said he never experienced anything like it and wants to come back...and we will all welcome him and urge him on...again!!!

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 03:31 PM
zz------zz

rolo:

If you've read another thread that's hanging in today's top 50, you'll see a very lively discussion around the top 5 world class cities in the U.S. And with it, a frenzied debate that elucidates many of NYC's, Wash DC & Boston's merits & outstanding attractions.

For my 2 cents worth, it's a choice between New York & Boston. As I grew up in the Boston area, I'd have to say it's a great place to visit AND live!