First Visit to NYC!!

Search

First Visit to NYC!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Visit to NYC!!

My sister, my 13 year old niece and I are making our first ever trip to NYC. We'll be there only 3 days and will be staying at the Parker Meridien.

Given the location and the rather limited time frame, what are the "must sees/dos" for the 3 of us? Any advice/suggestions would be REALLY appreciated!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 07:02 PM

you'll love it. you have got to go to 5th, park,and madison to see all the expensive designer stores. central park isn't really that impressive. empire state building is ok the line is always really long though. little italy and chinatown are always fun to see, i would stay away from taxis and take the subway - it's really easy to get the hang of. i love the united nations building it's really cool. hope you have fun.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 07:36 PM

Hi,

I have never been, but have booked plenty of people who have.

I hear that Times Square is amazing. The Huge Disney Store, MTV studios, A three story Toys R Us, with a ferris wheel inside.

Does your niece like shows, maybe you can take her to see a Broadway play.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 08:49 PM

YOu might enjoy the Central Park Zoo which is on 5th Ave around 66th ST, and there is a cute cafe there. The Zoo was redone not long ago and the layout now is quite good.

I'd suggest getting a book on the city, so you can read up and find things you want to see and do.

Also www.nytourist.com might help with special things going on while you are here.

Central Park is amazing, (surprised to hear a negative from an earlier poster) and lots to see if you like a bit of country in the city, and there are maps to show you where things are located.

For a fun dinner, try Ellen's Stardust Restaurant on Broadway around 49th St, all the servers are aspiring performers and they sing and dance a bit while you are eating. Good diner food, burgers/sandwiches/milkshakes.

Have a GREAT time.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 09:45 AM

If you click on my screen name, you'll find my trip report of our recent visit to NYC, Boston and Maine with kids ages 16, 14 and 11. If you read the New York Park, you will get lots of ideas. (Make sure you eat at the burger joint at your hotel.)
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all soooo much for your responses/suggestions...
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Well- 13 is an iffy age - some are stil kids then and some are young women. (I can;t imagine any 13 year old I know interested in a Toys R Us - just clothes, boys and whatever their main intrest is - music or dance o art of ?)

I would reco for following for any first time visitors

See Timems Square when you go to a Broadway show- it's better at night - other wise avoid it - it's a frantically mobbed business district with a lot of poor, expensive restaurants (Get tickets in advance with discounts from broadwaybox.com)

Defniitely see Central Park - check out the Central Park Conservancy web site to see what interests you

Top of the Rock (timed entrance tickets versus hours long line at Empire State Building - and a better view

The Met (again see the wb site to pick 2 or 3 departments)

At least one boat ride - either Staten Island ferry (free) or Circle Line or the ferry to the Ellis Island Immigration Museum (which is brilliant). If the latter buy tickets for the ferry in advance to save a huge line

Shopping depends on your budget/style: downtown for trendy, Century 21 for bargains, midtown for major department stores, H&M for inexpensive teen stuff, upper Madison for upscale designer boutiques

Also consider:

Museum of Natural History

Exploring some real NY neighborhoods at night: casuale dinner, shopping (many stores are open late) and sitting in one of the more thana thousand sidewalk afes for a drink or dessert and people watching. do the upper west side, lower est side or Village.

If yuo tell us any special interests people can make specific recos - because there are resources for anything in NYC

And be sure to get a good street map and subway map and study them before you arrive. And have comfy walkig shoes - you'll be walking miles (unlike most other places New Yorkers walk almost everywhere less than a mile - and often more)
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:11 AM

I live in the capital of NY, Albany and have visited NYC many times. When my 3 Australian friends came to visit several years ago, I didn't know where to start; NYC is a big place. One of the very best investments you can make is the http://newyorkpartyshuttle.com The guides are fabulous and you see so very much. Please check their web site and I promise you won't be disappointed. As an Upstater (NY) I saw things that I had never seen before. You ride by the Statue of Liberty on the Staten Island ferry, visit Strawberry Fields in Central Park, Ground Zero, seriously check the web site. It is a great opportunity to see things first and then go back later to take a second/better look if you wish. So often when schlepping around Manhattan you are exhausted before you even get where you want to go. This concept is awesome. It may sound pricey, but honestly once we were going downtown in a cab and it cost $70. You still pay whether you are moving or waiting in traffic. Have a great time and by the way when are you planning your trip?
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Do not reco using a cab in Manhattan. Distances can be long and traffic horrific - with the meter ticking the whole time. In Manhattan travel should be by foot or subway (cheap, fast, convenient and safe).
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM

I also second going to Top of the Rock versus the Empire State Building for a view of the city. Shorter lines, lovelier view.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

aussie417, we're going at the end of August.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Hi
I took my kids last year and had a blast. My kids liked the food tasting tour in the village. They got to recieve the little known history and taste great food. It was like 2 or 3 hours long. We went back many times to the village after that ecause we felt we knew it. Also Joes pizza (in the village) is where in Spiderman 1 or 2 he works there, and the best pizza I have ever had.

If you want to get pricey, my friend booked a private tour with a limo through I think called "Romancing New York". She spent alot on this and at the last minute invited us along. (I did end up chipping in) it was a day long and they covered alot of area, we had lunch, the limo and a personnel guide. It was mostly touring around which had its pros and cons. But being to NY before I did not waste any of my time seeing these things I had seen time and time again. My kids favorite day was this day, they still talk about it. The tour guide was excellent and I learned a lot to. When my SOn said he liked Columbia University she pulled over and we took a quick tour. The next few days we went back to the places that the saw in more detail. But it was awesome!

I agree with taking the subway, the only way to go and very safe. I would also suggest the tour of Lincoln center, Kids just reminded me how much they liked it. It was a great tour. MY kids went to Hairpsray and Wicked both were highlights of the trip. Especially Wicked. Also the NBC tour at Rockefella center and being (yes we waved and everyone at home saw us) seen on the Today show. My 4 year old who saw us thinks we are so cool!

Just my take on your situation. Have a fun time. No matter what you choose you cannot go wrong!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:35 AM

We just got back from our first NYC trip...our family (with three kids) absolutely loved it! We stayed 4 days/3 nights.
Day 1
Top of the Rock
American Museum of Nat History
John's Pizzeria and Broadway play

Day 2
Statue of Liberty (took 1st ferry)
WTC site
Times square, Toys r us

Day 3
Went federal hall, transit museum, and walked the Brooklyn Bridge. Grand central.It was awesome...we had a Big Apple Greeter taking us around town and it was very insightful

Day 4
5th avenue, greenwich village, etc....shopping

We took the subways everywhere and it was very easy, except this one time when my 7 year old daughter yelled "Taxi" as we were walking down the street. One stopped immediately...we laughed and got in for a ride around.

When we go back , we hope to do more Broadway and make it to China Town.

Have a good trip.