Reload this Page >

First trip to Las Vegas

Search

First trip to Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:54 PM
Lulu

First trip to Las Vegas

My husband and I will be embarking on our first trip to Las Vegas (dates 6 Feb - 14 Feb).

We are hoping to stay 4 days in Las Vegas and 3 in Grand Canyon (and surrounds).

My question:
We would love to stay at the Bellagio (but can't afford it). What would be your second choice of Luxury hotel in Vegas that can (try) and compare with Bellagio (someone rated Mirage higher than Bellagio).

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 02:42 AM
Just

Subject has just been discussed. See adjacent post(ings.)

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Mike H

most of the hotels on the strip are nice enough

try luxor...it's right next to mandalay bay, has an enclosed walkway

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Vic

The only luxury hotels in Las Vegas that would still be considered luxury hotels in cities like NYC and Chicago, are Bellagio and Four Seasons.
Period.

Many other hotels are nice, if at least a little cheesy by non-LV standards.
Mirage is good.
Anyone who says it's better than Bellagio has a screw loose. The same guy built both of them and the Bellagio was built SPECIFICALLY to put Mirage to shame.

Venetian is often rated to have the best rooms in LV, but that's only because its standard rooms are larger than others. The quality of the place (rooms), however, is no better than a Marriott.

Mandalay Bay is nice, but in a Las Vegas way.
Next dowen the list are places like Monte Carlo, Paris and Aladdin. Decent, but very mainstream rooms compared to business hotels in other cities.

If you can't stay at Bellagio, you should shoot for someplace that offers good value, like Paris or Monte Carlo or Aladdin.
Avoid the older hotels, downtown hotels, and north strip hotels.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 06:56 AM
w

Lulu

Have you shopped the Travel Agencies, Airlines, Internet Agencies etc for Las Vegas Travel Packages? You may find that Bellagio is in your reach.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 07:04 AM
w

Lulu

A couple places to start

1 - Las Vegas Travel Bureau (www.lvtb.com)

2 - Worry Free Vacations (www.worryfreevacations.com)

Bon chance

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Kristen

We just got back from 2 nights in Vegas (had to prepare ourselves for Christmas with the in-laws). We stayed in the Mirage and loved it. The rooms have recently been renovated and were really nice. No special jacuzzi tub or anything in our standard room, but lots of marble everywhere, super clean, quiet, and a view of the mountains. Couldn't beat the price, either - $95/night.

I wouldn't call Mirage a "luxury" hotel, but we found it extremely nice and would stay there again in a second. It's also nicely located...I have a broken foot and was able to walk from the Venetian to Paris and Bellagio without too much of a problem - of course, the free drinks probably helped.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 05:40 PM
envy

Stayed twice at Aladdin, Once at Luxor and NYNY. Would defintely choose Aladdin hands down. Newer hotel, great location. Beautifully decorated. Rooms spacious. Request a room facing the Bellagio fountains! (I'm jealous)
Good luck!!

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 08:59 PM
ChildCare Lady

Location, location.... Decide what part of the strip you are going to spend the most time, and stay in that immediate area. We preferred the Mirage/Venetian/Treasure Island area the best. I will never stay in the Luxor/Mandalay/Excalibur area again. It was to hard to get to the Pirate Show, Volcano, ect... at night. The Bellagio/Paris/Aladdin area in great too! If you can't afford Bellagio or Venetian (we loved this hotel)... a good friend of mine just stayed at Paris for a bachelorette party and they loved it. Had a room looking at the Bellagio water fountains.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Becky

I stayed in the Mirage about 5 years ago and wasn't thrilled but I guess they've upgraded. I was just in LV a few months ago and stayed in the Mandalay Bay. I was very impressed. I cannot afford the Bellagio either and was looking for a hotel under $100 a night. My friend and I went to the Mandalay Bay website and signed up on their e-mail list of special rates. I get an e-mail about every 3-4 weeks with $79-89 rates. We paid $89 but stayed a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday night. It's difficult to find a cheap rate on Friday and Saturday unless the hotel is older. Mandalay Bay is on the far end of the strip and it was a little difficult to get to the other properties by foot (things are a lot farther than they seem) but the room was big, (the bathroom has double sinks, huge tub, separate shower) and they have some sort of air purification system throughout the hotel which is wonderful if you don't smoke. Cleanest smelling LV hotel I've been in! I would highly suggest this hotel if you don't mind being on the far end of the strip. Have fun!
By the way, if you can afford tickets to see Cirque de Solei's (sp?) "O" that's playing at the Bellagio, I would HIGHLY recommend it. We called the box office at the Bellagio at 8 am (right when they open) the day we wanted to see the show and got 8th row, center for $150 a piece. I know this sounds expensive but it was WORTH it.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 07:52 AM
daver

Stayed at the Mirage, Aladdin and Monte Carlo last year - all on business. Mirage was very nice, but the surprise was the Aladdin. We had a Resort Room -with a great view of the strip and the Bellagio fountain, and the room was huge and nicely appointed. The marble bathroom - with separate shower and soaking tub - was alone a third the size of most other hotel rooms I think we paid $159 or 179, but was worth it. And the service was very good - ordered a room fridge and extra pillows, and they were delivered in 20 minutes. Good location, too.

Monte Carlo was like a clean Holiday Inn. The cheapest rates, and rightly so.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Addie

Becky why were you cherged $150 for "O"?

I thought all non-obstruction seats were $120?

Especially last minute...they shouldn't be charging EXTRA for last minute seats?!

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Allan

Just got back from 4 days in Vegas and it was the longest month of my life. It's the armpit of western civilization.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 06:53 PM
dede

Vic and Kristen are right on. Specific to your question: I have been staying at the Mirage and Bellagio for several years and it is ture, Bellagio is FANTASTIC but I think I prefer the Mirage. If you like to bet on the horse races, the Mirage Sports Book cannot be beat. It has a jungle theme that is very charming too. If you stick with the big name hotels, you won't be dissapointed but stay away from the budget/downtown hotels.

Have fun, you will love it!