First trip to Colorado -- driving from Tennessee

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Colorado in September but we just don't know where to start without feeling overwhelmed. We will be driving from Tennessee so we definitely want the make the 7 days there worth while. We were thinking of stopping for a night in St. Louis to break up the drive.. as far as where in Colorado we want to go is where we are having trouble.. I've heard good things about Colorado Springs, Denver, and Boulder but I just don't know what would be the best for us?? Or even if it would be possible to visit 2 of the 3 in our 7 days there..

Things we enjoy: hiking (moderate), beer, antique shops, playing pool, good food, animals and nature, a five star hotel is no necessary as long as it's in decent shape since we won't spend too much time there we would like the find a fairly cheap one

Any tips on where we should go/where we should stay/road trip routes? Any and all advice is appreciated!!
Old Jan 24th, 2017, 11:03 AM

Hello brookesymae, It sounds like you will have 7 days in CO and your driving time to get there is not included? First of all, most people visit CO to see the Rockies. You can find beer, antique shops play pool and find good food in lots of other places. September is a really good time to visit IMO. I would recommend that you pick one location to center around (Colorado is a big place). For example, you could center around Durango in the southwestern corner of the state. To get there, you'd take a southern route through Albequerque on I40 and then take US550 into CO.
From Durango you can easily visit Mesa Verde NP, Black Canyon of the Gunnison is about 3 hours, ride the narrow gauge to Silverton. Too many things to list. Two spectacular mountain passes - Wolf Creek to the east and Red Mountain on the Million Dollar highway to the north. Hiking trails everywhere.
Have a look and perhaps (if you agree), narrow down where in CO you'd like to go. Just don't spend your time driving up and down the state, that would be a waste.
Old Jan 24th, 2017, 11:11 AM

By the way, I didn't mean to say you wouldn't / shouldn't have some good food or spend an afternoon playing pool and drinking beer. Also, one of the best things about southwestern CO in the fall is western slope peaches. IMHO, you've really never had a peach until you've had one. I've forgotten, I think late September. Just look for any roadside stand. Especially, pick the ugly runt ones with a couple brown spots, the kind they would never sell in the grocery store.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 03:29 AM

You don't say where in Tennessee you are coming from but please don't stop in St. Louis on the way out--it's practically in Tennessee. Stop there on the return if you have to. I have driven to Denver many times--just stop along the way on I70 when you are ready. OR if you want, make Kansas City your stop and have some BBQ.
There is MUCH more beauty than COsprings and Boulder although both are interesting. Head west on 70. Go up Mt. Evans.

September will be a great time to see the aspens change color to their bright yellow.

Mesa Verde is a wonder of the US IMO. This would be a wonderful destination for an emphasis for your trip. Stay at Far View Lodge IN the Park to maximize your time there.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 09:58 AM

"Albequerque on I40 and then take US550 into CO. "

Actually, its to AlbUquerque on I40; north on I25 to Bernalillo and then onto 550.

The peaches will be long gone by September. Short season. Corn and cantaloupes are also heavenly, but they'll be gone too.
Olathe Corn
Palisades Peaches
Rocky Ford Melons
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 10:22 AM

Hi DebitNM, It appears that you're far more in the know about peach season. I googled a few websites and did find that various peaches were available through the summer months, but some did say up to mid-September. It's been a long time since I've been back to NM / CO, drove 550 and stopped for peaches. This website does say "fall"
http://www.visitgrandjunction.com/se...lisade-peaches

Another suggestion, stop at MacDonalds on 550 get a hamburger. They (used to at least) serve them with hatch green chiles Yum!
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 11:54 AM

We serve almost everything with green chiles!

I have never gotten any CO produce into much past Labor Day and even at that point it's iffy and pretty much meh.

Still lots of good food to be had and lots to see and do!