Search

First Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Trip

My husband and I are taking our first trip to NYC in Oct. What are some must-dos and dont's? Places to eat? We are going to see the Lion King and eating at Tavern on the Green. That's all we have planned. I am really interested in shopping and dinning. Where might I see a celebrity? Any info on any subject will be great. Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:57 AM
GoTravel

My first suggestion would be to purchase a guidebook (Lonely Planet, Birnbaum's, Fodors) to NYC and start reading.

Start narrowing down what you like and what you don't like.

Then start searching this site for information on NYC.

Then we can address specific questions for you.

Unfortunately, we don't know your budget, likes and dislikes, what you want to shop for, etc.

My second piece of advice would be to skip Tavern on the Green. Lousy overpriced food.

Celebrities are everywhere.

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Look for anyone wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses - that's usually the celebrity disguise in NY.

I second skipping Tavern on the Green. Where are you staying and what do you like?
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:14 AM

I went last-minute w/ my husband and daughters (husband was on business), and had no game plan, just played it by ear. We stayed at Roosevelt near Times Square. Go to the Letterman Show box office during the day and sign up for stand-by tickets and give them your cell #. We got on the show and saw Tom Cruise. Also, you can go to the today show and see celebs there as well. Just go to Rockefeller center in the morning and you can watch the show. They do a lot of it outside. We walked just about everywhere, which led us to see very interesting things, such as small fire stations. Also, the World Trade Ctr site is amazing, you have to be there to appreciate. Battery Park is great for "sidewalk shopping". Purses, watches, etc. Neat experience! (this is also where you catch ferry to Statue of Lib and Ellis Island). Ellis is interesting, you can look up your ancestors and see signatures and dates. Too much to do in one visit! Everywhere you go is amazing, especially if you are from a smaller suburban town like we are. Don't bother with a car, and if you are driving, pay to park it and keep it put away. Ask concierge for restaurant recommendations, they will give you "local" advice. Have fun!!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:30 AM

I, too, would skip Tavern on the Green.
My son-in-law ate there on a business trip and said the food was horrible and overpriced.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:02 AM
GoTravel

NYC is a horrible place for first timers not to plan and "play it by ear".

The city is large and can be very overwhelming.

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Do not do Tavern on the Green - the only thing that keeps them going is unsuspecting tourists: the food is poor the prices high and the service both bad and supercilious. If you want to eat in Central Park go to the Boathouse.

As for other places to eat - you need to give us a budget and favorite cuisines and stule (traditional, romantic, trendy, with a view??).

As for what to do - start with a couple of good guidebooks and the destination section above.

Do have an overall plan - since the tourist area of the city is huge and you don't want to waste a lot of time running in all dirctions.

For shopping you need to tell us for what and budget/style (modest, moderate, dsigner, traditional or trendy - and for who) - since there are thousands of choices.

For seeing celebrities the best choice is when they're at work - as someone mentioned Letterman - or the stage door of Broadway shows. Other than that - check with the city web site to see if anything is being filmed in town (there will always be a couple of TV shows - including Law & Orders and possibly a movie or two). But you'll only see from afar. The best chance to see them in person is doing daily things in their own neighborhoods (try the Village, Central Park West - or ? - depending on what type of celebrities you're looking for).

You haven;t mentiond any museums - and IMHO it;s criminal to visit New York and not see at least the Met (go on-line to see what departments would interest you most) and the Ellis Island Immigration Museum (same ferry as to the Statue of Liberty so you can get a close up of tht as well).

Have you a hotel yet - in October that may be your biggest challenge.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:59 AM
TKT

Joest

Tell us what kind of food you want to try and what your price range is.

Do you want to see plays on Broadway, if so musicals or dramas?

Do you like to walk for miles through and interesting neighborhood or do you want to go to tourist attractions?

What kind of music do you like?

Do you like big crowds are quieter areas?

What kind of museums do you like?
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the posts. ok, maybe this will help some.

Food: I hear the pizza and cheesecake and great, which we both love. We love Mexican, Italian, and American. No Japanese, Chinese, Sushi. Budget: $20/lunch; $60/dinner (for 2). Carnagie Deli: go or not? Lunch cafes or delis are fine.

Shopping: I want to check out all the designer stores, FAO Swartz (sp?), China Town, need to buy lots of souvenirs such as I love NY T-shirts, etc.,

I want to site see but I am not all about long lines. I guess I better get over that!
We have a moderate budget I guess. Haven't really thought about it!
We are staying at the Washington Jefferson Hotel on W 51st Street.

We have tickets to the Lion King. My husband wants to go to a Yankees game if they make the playoffs since that is the same week we will be there.

Someone mentioned the city website to see if celebrties are filming movies, what is that?

We are from a small town, so NYC is going to be very overwhelming and anything we do is going to be great! Thanks for all the advice!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:43 PM

For dinner I would say that is pretty low. I think Dos Caminos was around that price range when we went a few years back. We went to Joe's pizza which was yummy. This time we're going to John's. And if you want a cheap lunch Go to Grey's Papya. You get out of there for about $6.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Gosh, we live in NYC and go to lots of the 4* restaurants. Some of the famous chefs even know us and come out to greet us. We like Tavern on the Green and often eat there. We find the food quite good. We always have good service and it is a pretty place, esp. the Crystal Room (feels like a party) and the outside Terrace. The food is not inventive and far-out (no foams here) and for NYC the price for brunch and the pre-theatre are certainly not expensive. IMHO the food is as good or better than the Boathouse. Of course, even the best restaurant can have an off day. Check Zagats for places to eat rather than asking at the hotel.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:53 PM

I imagine you will probably want to go to Grand Central station. Downstairs there is a kind of food court where you can get good, inexpensvie food. It's a great place for lunch. If you'd like to try Indian food the place there is excellent. Tandoori chicken is a safe bet and it isn't too spicey. The Mexican place down there is also delicious. There is also a Junior's Cheesecake there and that is the cheesecake you want. If you're going to see the Southstreet Seaport (you should) there is a restaurant called Red that would be nice for dinner. You can sit outside on the cobblestone street not far from the water and it's reasonably priced. Also Mexican. I love Mexican. Cheap options for lunch would be a knish or a dirty water dog right on the street! If you're going to be downtown there is a place called Zeytuna that I can't stay out of. They serve everything you can imagine and you can take it to outside or inside tables. Anything from a sald bar, to a carving station to fresh sushi. They have great burgers, too. You can feast for under $10. They have table service as well, but I've never ordered off the menu.

I'd love to see a playoff game too. If you're willing to scalp tickets for about $600 you might be able to do it. Otherwise it's a lot of fun to watch a few innings in a sports bar - Mickey Mantle's is right by Central Park.

It looks like you are trying to keep your food and overall budget low so I would urge you again to skip Tavern on the Green. It's expensive and you'd be happier spending that money elsewhere. I won't nag anymore though. Sometimes when you have your heart set on something you just have to go with it. Personally I'd go with a drink in the Rainbow Room around sunset.

I'm picky about my pizza but you can't go wrong if there is a screaming Italian behind the counter! On Broadway, downtown Caruso's has great pizza and rolls. There's one on the Brooklyn Bridge end and one down by the bull.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:53 PM

Skip Tavern on the Green.

The Boathouse is definitely a better choice if you want to eat in the park.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 01:20 PM

I would personally skip Red or any of the other big restaurants located in the Seaport. There are some really good restaurants in that area that aren't overpriced tourist traps. Quartino's on Peck Slip and Water is organic Italian that is an excellent value. NY Magazine recently did an article highlighting good restaurants in the Seaport neighborhood.

http://nymetro.com/restaurants/features/17198/

I would urge you to plan out your itinerary based on the sites that you absolutely want to see. Once you've laid it out, it's easier for us to recommend restaurants based on which neighborhood you'll be visiting. As GoTravel said, don't play it by ear. Have at least a general plan and the names of some good restaurants in your back pocket near the attraction.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM
maj

We recently took our first trip to New York City and I can tell you what I found helpful, since we knew nothing about the city (didn't even know what the 5 boroughs were). It will make your trip so much more enjoyable if you research some things before you go. I thought it was a very easy city to get around in, but I had an idea of how the streets were laid out and what general areas we would want to try to see.

http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=365

We changed our itinerary as we went, but we would have wasted a lot of time wandering around. You have time to research before October. I agree -- get a travel book (you can get them from the library and then you can buy one that is helpful to you if you want)to get you started. You can google New York City and get many websites to check out. Both the following sites have maps. You can also get a map of the subway/transit system (I thought it was confusing to look at before we went) and the Earth Times Square web cam is fun to look at.

http://www.nycvisit.com/home/index.cfm
http://www.nyctourist.com/

When you have specific questions, you can search here and find most of your answers -- there is a ton of information here, but it can get confusing especially if you don't know the layout of the city. I found New Yorkers extremely friendly and helpful -- both here at Fodors and on the streets of the city. Get a small booklet with easy to read fold outs of each area -- with streets, subways stops, etc. before you go. It was our bible while there -- there are numerous ones available in bookstores. (like Barnes and Noble)

We really liked Carnegie Deli, but it was only about a block from our hotel. We ate breakfast there, and I took a sandwich for the plane and a cheesecake home (it was frozen and they packed it well -- it was still partially frozen when I got home -- and delicious). The pizza in New York is fantastic also.

There are street vendors everywhere selling hats, shirts, etc. We bought a hat and sunglasses from one in Greenwich Village. We took the Grey Line Tour which we really liked for our first visit, if you have the time, but it isn't the most efficient way to get around. We especially enjoyed the uptown part, since we got to see that area, but I think the downtown area of the city is more fun to just walk through.

If you are going to take the subway, be aware that they work on them on the weekends and not all the lines are running. (we didn't plan that very well, but saw part of the city searching for an open uptown train). Also, Central Park is huge, so research it also to see what area(s) you want to go to. If you go to the southern part of the Park, FAO Schwartz is right there and if you continue down Fifth Avenue you go by the shops (like Prada). We were told not to miss Century 21 (which is across from the World Trade Center site) for discount shopping. Wasn't impressed with it, but I'm not really a shopper so you might want to check it out if you're down there. Top of the Rock was great. We went to Washington Square Park on Saturday and wandered around Greenwich Village -- one of our favorite things.
I wanted to eat at Tavern on the Green also because as a tourist it is one of the places you have heard about. My sister in law liked it (mostly just being there -- didn't really say much about the food), but we didn't make it this time.

We fell in love with the city and want to go back many more times. We couldn't believe how comfortable we felt there, how clean the city is (and all the green areas -- parks and such spread throughout) and how friendly and helpful everyone was. Have a great trip.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Seems like I have under priced dinner. I have already paid for Tavern on the Green. They offered vouchers after I purchased my broadway tickets. I have always wanted to go there but maybe I should have researched it a little more before buying the way ya'll are talking! But it looks so beautiful in the pictures! I paid $70/person for dinner so I don't want to pay that every night. So around $50 or less is ideal for dinner. I don't know where to start to plan my itenerary. How long will it take it do like the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller, Ground Zero, etc. Like how many days do I need for sites? Which sites can be done in the same days, that are close together? I will set aside another day for shopping. Are most of the people posting on here live in NY? Just wondering since ya'll are so knowledegable. Thanks again.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Go ahead and enjoy Tavern on the Green. It is a pretty and romantic restaurant, and everyone has to go at least once.

The best way to manage your itinerary, IMO, is to get there EARLY, especially for the ESB, Statue of Liberty, etc.. There have been numerous trip reports and threads on specific attractions that should tell you what to expect.
Why don't you get a guide book, read about all the attractions, and then draft a sample daily itinerary? Much easier to solicit feedback in that format, and we can also provide restaurant and shopping information based on your location.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:57 AM
TKT

If you go to the Statue of Liberty try to combine it with Ellis Island. Personnally I would skip the statue of Liberty and just go to Ellis Island, you will be able to see the Statue on the boat as you go to Ellis Island.

FOr a good walk I would combine Rockefeller Center with Grand Central Station and the Chrysler Building. If they still let you go into the Chrysler building, look up at the painting on the ceiliing of the 1st floor. Then you cold walk 8 blocks down Fifth Ave. to the Emp. State Building.

For the Emp. State Builing and The Statue/Ellis tour, you have to get tickets. I would check on line ahead of time to see if you can reserve them. If you catch a big crowd you make be in for a long wait.

check out Virgil's BBQ for a less expensive, but very good meal.
http://www.virgilsbbq.com/

I love the Sun-Thurs. price-Fix at
Cafe Mon Cheri on 9th ave. and 50th St.
www.cafemoncheri.com
It is amazing how good the food is for a 3 coures $20 meal.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:06 AM

First of all check the destinations section on this website. Fodors give a suggested 5 day itinerary. That will give you some idea as to how much time things take, and also what the highlights are. Also keep in mind the NYC is big, so when planning out your sight-seeing, you should check a map to see what is in or near certain neighborhoods.

As far as reasonable dinners, there are some good pre-theater prix fixe menus in the theater district. you can do a text search in this forum for "pre-theater dinner". Also, keep in mind that the times square area is not the best place to find dinner. NYC has many great nieghborhoods with many, many dining possibilities.

As far as sighting celebs, and movies being filmed, I see movies & tv shows being filmed all the time, but rarely ever see the actors. On the other hand, i have seens celebs in some very ordinary palces (farmer's market, play ground, or just walking down the street). Just Saturday I saw 'Vince' from Entourage at City College, just standing around chatting with someone.

Good advice already given to arrive early for some of the sights that involve waiting on line (ESB, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island). These waits can be long, especially by mid-day.

For a real NYC deli experience, go to Katz's on E. Houston St. Joe's has good pizza by the slice (on Carmine St near 6th av & bleecker). For sit down pizza try John's (on Bleecker and 2 locations midtown) or Lombardi's (Spring St.). For a decent, very reasonable meal in Little Italy try Il Fornaio. There are also some restuarants in the E. Village that offer great Prix Fixe meals, < $30 for 3 courses (Lavagna & Le tableau come to mind).

If you plan on speanding any time n Central Park, there are many dining options along the upper west side. For more info, check out menupages.com. You can seach my nieghborhood and type of food, and view comments and menus.

You should pickup a subway map when you arrive (or print one off the mtz website). You can get them for free at any token booth.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:08 AM

That should read the MTA website, not the MTZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -