Search

first trip

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2002, 04:23 PM
alice

first trip

My husband and I are traveling by car to Arizona for two weeks. We want to sightsee along the way . Leaving Ohio headed West. what are some interesting places to visit?

Old May 27th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Suggestion

I'd suggest reposting with a more precise header: Driving from Ohio to Arizona - Interesting places along the way?

Old May 27th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Utahtea

Head west on I-70. I'm not that familar with the east so I'll start from Denver. Just north of Denver is the Rocky Mountain National Park. Continue west on I-70 to Grand Junction, Colorado and just a little west of the city is Colorado National Mounument. The drive between Denver and Grand Junction is very scenic too.

Continue on I-70 to Cisco, Utah and exit the interstate and take Highway 128 into Moab, Utah. Plan on a couple of days here to see Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park.

When you leave Moab, Utah head north on Hwy 191 back to Interstate 70 for a short time and then head south on Hwy 24 to Hanksville and Capitol Reef National Park. Torrey has some nice new motels to stay in.

From Torrey, Utah head south on scenic Hwy 12. In my opinion this is the most scenic highway. You will pass thought the Boulder Mountains and Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument before reaching Bryce Canyon National Park. From Bryce I would suggest a side trip to Zion National Park before going to Glen Canyon National Recreational area, Lake Powell near Page, AZ. I would highly recommend the all day boat trip from Wahweap Marina to Rainbow Bridge National Monument.

I don't know where in Arizona you wanted to visit, but heading home you might take I-40. It's a pretty drive and don't miss the Painted Desert.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Utahtea

Old May 27th, 2002, 09:49 PM
oops

Good luck over the I-40

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Vera

Thirty plus years ago we made that trip every summer--Arizona to Ohio and back. We never planned anything particular, but because we were traveling with children, we'd take the AAA guide book and get off the freeway on a whim to see local sites. It is fun to discover the wacky and sometimes beautiful things there are to see.
Vera

Old May 28th, 2002, 08:38 PM
BRIAN

wHILE IN AZ. VISIT kARTCHNER CAVERNS A WET CAVE THAT OPENED A FEW YEARS AGO. NOT SURE IF THERE IS A WEB SITE BUT IT IS A STATE PARK SO TRY THAT AVENUE NEXT. NOT TO BE MISSED!