Search

First time trip to California

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time trip to California

Hi,

I am planning a 2 weeks trip in California in August. I have 3 kids (12, 13 and 15). I was thinking 1 week in LA area and 1 week in San Francisco area.

Any input?

Thanks
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM

Make time for Yosemite National Park.

Utahtea
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Yosemite is a great idea.
Drive from L.A to San Francisco via the coast route going through Santa Barbara, Big Sur, it's lovely.
What are you planning to do in LA for a week?
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:12 AM

Yosemite is a great idea - lodging can be a challenge since the park is really popular, esspecially at that time, but definitely see what you can do.

I like the suggestion to take a few days to go up the coast from LA to SF.

I would probably spend 2-3 days in LA, 3-4 days driving up the coast, 2-3 days in SF and 2-3 days in Yosemite - or another area if you can't get in at Yosemite.
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:33 AM

You should ask your children what their interests are in the LA area so you can plan where to stay there. The heat and traffic can be pretty miserable in August. So is it beaches and Disneyland? Then you could stay on a beach somewhere south of LA---say Huntington, Newport, or Laguna Beach. But if they say Hollywood and movie studios, ugh. Then you're in LA. A week there in August is way too long, in my book.

Yosemite is always my number 1 reason for visiting California, but you may have trouble getting reservations for August. Perhaps just staying on the coast is a better idea.
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I was planning to stay in the LA area for Disney.

I will do further research and get back to you guys with more specific questions!
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Oh enzain, good point about the heat in August.
Robotinette, if your into art museums the Norton Simon in Pasadena is a real treat.
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:52 PM

Robotinette--

If Disney is the goal for your kids, I suggest you say in Newport---a short even if clogged drive---but so much better than Anaheim or LA in August. They (and you) will love the beach, and it's much nicer to be there than anywhere else in the mornings and evenings.

But I'm a bit biased---I was fortunate to grow up there. But I don't live there any more. . . too many cars.
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:08 AM

With teenagers that age, I'd suggest not going to Yosemite, unless your family is really into scenery, hiking, etc.

Plan on a few days in San Diego instead. There's plenty for teenagers to do and see in San Diego, the Zoo/Wild Animal Park, SeaWorld, all the museums in Balboa Park (like the train museum) as well as the beaches, which are warmer down south.

Besides Disneyland, there's also all the movie star stuff in Hollywood, then north of that is Six Flags - kids love those crazy rides.

If you do get up to San Francisco, go to the Maritime Museum at the end of Fisherman's Wharf (it's free). Sorry, you didn't say what sex for the kids. If they/any are girls, they may enjoy the shopping at Union Square more than the Maritime Museum. LOL!

Have a great time and welcome to California!
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:41 PM

Spend two or three days driving up Highway 1 from Santa Monica to San Francisco. This is one of the great drives of the world.

Check out one or two of the missions on the way (Santa Barbara and Carmel, for insance).

Spend one night in Cambria (on Moonstoon Drive). Visit nearby Hearst Castle the next day.

Drive through Big Sur, walk the beach in Carmel, and stop in Monterey for the great aquarium and other attractions.

The next day, check out the old-fashioned amusement park located on the water in Santa Cruz.

Yosemite is a great park, but it will be hectic in August and going there will divert you from the many wonderful things there are to do with children right along the Pacific Coast.

Happy Trails to You
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:26 AM
emd

I have spent a lot of time in LA and Santa Monica areas over the past 10 yrs. (weeks at a time on business, w/weekends off, and a week family vacation w/Disney when my kids were 11 and 13, etc.) and I think that a week is too much for us in LA if all you really want to do is Disney. If you also want to go to Universal Studios, you can do that and Disney and an extra day or two for whatever else (beach, hollywood tour), and still just spend 4 days in LA area.

San Diego was nice for a few days; we got really tired of LA and Santa Monica so went there for 2 days.

What are you planning for San Francisco? Again, I think w/kids that age that a week is a long time.