Christmas: Savannah or New Orleans?

May 19th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Christmas: Savannah or New Orleans?

We have got a complimentary flight from Europe to Atlanta from Dec. 21 thru Jan 4. We will spend a couple of days to explore Atlanta (which we know) but are wondering where to spend Christmas and New Year's eve. In this forum, we have read recommendations both for Savannah and New Orleans. What is your suggestion?
(1) Where shall we spend Christmas?
(2) Where shall we spend New Year's eve?
Any other ideas?
(We are a three-generation family of six from 18 to 81.)
May 19th, 2006, 11:06 AM

New Orleans is about a 7 1/2 hour drive from Atlanta, while Savannah is a little less than four hours--so don't know if that would be a factor for you. New Orleans will have a lot more action than Savannah, but the town is still in shambles a good bit from the hurricane. Savannah is my home town, so of course, I like it very much, and I live in Atlanta. You could spend some time in Savannah, then Beaufort,SC, then Charleston, if you wanted--all beautiful cities. Beaufort is only a 45-minute drive from Savannah and only about an hour and a half from Charleston. Spend Christmas in Savannah and New Years in Charleston, perhaps. Just so you know, there is a very large football game held in New Orleans at New Years (the Sugar Bowl) and so the town will be very crowded with football fans.
May 19th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Since you are planning from Christmas through New Years Eve, let me suggest Savannah. Mainly because you can easily drive elsewhere for a day trip or two. It's just hard to say at this point, how much of NO and the surrounding area would be ready to entertain guests for a week. Savannah and it's squares is beautifully decorated. The Cathedral of St John The Baptist is breathtaking and it's Christmas decorations are left up for the public to see.
May 19th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much.

That's exactly the kind of information I expected.

What about the weather in Savannah at that time of year?
We are considering renting a house in the swamps. Is it a good idea?
May 19th, 2006, 02:15 PM

You are out of luck on the house in the swamp rental. The swamps around Savannah were drained ages ago and houses built on them. The only ones left are around some of the inland rivers, and trust me on this....you wouldn't want to stay there.

It's hard to say what the weather will be. December can jump from short sleeve weather to cold in just a day or two. Usually it's rather mild and sunny. check out www.weather.com for Savannah and click on the yearly averages. Even if the temps drop below freezing at night, it will warm up during the day. You'll most likely need a jacket. A lot of Savannahians don't even own heavy coats or warm gloves and hats. No warm boots. We don't need clothes like that unless we travel to Atlanta. Now, in Atlanta, it can get cold. The ocean seems to keep us warmer.
May 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM

You have time to visit both Savannah and Charleston. Each has a lot to offer.
May 19th, 2006, 03:23 PM

A house in the swamps? Gosh, I hope there aren't any of those! Try this website: www.savannahgetaways.net The Historic District would be where you want to stay.
May 19th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Your reference to swamps made me think a little. Where you thinking about the Okeefenokee Swamp? It's near Waycross Georgia. You could make a day's trip there from Savannah. Very interesting place. I don't think anyone lives in it.
May 20th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Oh, we have seen a house just between Savannah and Tybee Island near Wilmington river. However, as seen from Google Earth, it looks like a swamp there.
May 20th, 2006, 06:03 AM

Oh, that's a salt marsh. BIG, BIG difference. There are no trees in a salt marsh. Swamps are fresh water, filled with water loving trees, lily pads, reeds, bogs, etc.

Islands in this area, like Wilmington, are surrounded by salt water marshes and rivers. If it has trees, it is dry land, not a marsh. If you rent a cottage on Wilmington, make very sure that it has heat, as you might need it that time of year. You most likely will not have access to a dock or the river.
May 20th, 2006, 06:10 AM

Traveller, I think if you rent a house at Wilmington Island, you won't have restaurants and shops to walk to, like you would downtown, nor will you have a beach to walk on,like you would at Tybee. I'd stay downtown or at Tybee, but not in between.
May 20th, 2006, 07:00 AM

this is very true. You would have to drive everywhere, including places to eat, on busy highways. Wilmington Island is a dandy place if you just want to get away from it all. But if you are interested in seeing what Savannah has to offer, that's not a good place.

You say that one of the members of your party is 81. I would find a place either in the Historic District or Midtown Savannah so that getting to and from the hotel could be done quickly if he/she got tired.