Search

First Time to NOLA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 11:45 AM
Gail

First Time to NOLA

My husband and I are planning an anniversary trip in early Decmber to the French Quarter etc. I am overwhelmed by the amount of info! I have it narrowed down to the Fairmont, Maison Dupuy, Monteleone. Am I on the right track for authenticity, balance between quiet and fun? What about the Bon Fires along the river. Is there anyone who has been thiere this time of year? Thank You!

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 02:37 PM
John

All three hotels are about the same. Monteleone has the best location, Fairmont is the most historic, and Maison Dupuy is probably the most charming. So, it's a crapshoot and you can't go wrong with any of the three.

I'm not sure the bonfires start in early December...perhaps someone else will know definitively.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 02:35 PM
dee

Hi Gail.

My husband and I went to New Orleans for the first time this past June. We stayed at the Fairmont. It's not in the French Quarter, but it's very close. We were happy with the hotel; although, we rarely spent any time there. After spending quite a bit of time in the F.Q., we knew we made the right choice as far as the location of our hotel. It can be quite noisy and, as silly as it sounds, a little stinky in the F.Q. I don't know how the other two hotels that you mentioned are, but from what I remember, Maison Dupuy wasn't in the most desireable location (a lot of construction going on in that area, but that may not be the case when you're there). And I believe Monteleone is pretty much in the heart of the Quarter. It really just depends on whether you want to be in the center of things or just on the border. You might also want to consider how much walking you want to do. We spent the entire time wandering everywhere on foot, with the exception of a couple of trolley rides, and felt we were able to see much more that way. I agree that there's an overwhelming amount of info on N.O. to sift through, but I was so happy to have access to it. I feel it really made our trip that much better. Hope the same is true for you.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 06:20 AM
Kristi

Gail, we stayed at the Monteleone in May and found it quite nice. It's location is great, in the French Quarter but not in the thick of things so you won't find the noise levels of the hotels right on Bourbon Street. It's near to all of the antique stores and right across the street from Mr. B's Bistro, my favorite meal from our last visit. We were able to walk everywhere except the zoo and the Garden District.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 09:59 AM
julie

We stayed at the Fairmont last visit (also, we lived there for 4 years and have been to the bonfires). The Fairmont is grossly overated, in my opinion. Also, as I came in ahead of my husband, they announced that our rooms were gone, even tho we had confirmation numbers. No amount of argueing would disuade them, and we were sent packing accross town to the Marriot. (so much for confirmatiion numbers). As to the bonfires, they are up river, and usually a week or two before Xmas. Can find out, I am sure, by writing the Chamber of Commerce. They build large structures, takes weeks, and some are very elaborate, then set them on fire on one night. Everyone comes, with picnics (and whisky bottles) and there is a general party on the levee. It was great fun (once). Hope you have a great time. early Dec is a good time, as the weather will be cool, and some of the tourists gone (maybe). NO and it's environs is a wonderful place...enjoy.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 04:26 PM
Gail

Thank You for the information poste above. I appreciate it very much! Gail

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 05:33 PM
todd

We stayed at the Maison Dupuy in March and found it to be excellent. Rooms were quite nice, wonderful courtyard with pool and jacuzzi. Location was great. We did feel safe even though it was in the northern section of the Quarter. Very reasonably priced and can walk easily to downtown, Jackson Square, Bourbon St. Very quiet as well...unlike Bourbon St. We would stay there again. They do have internet special rates, so look online. Try to get a room with a courtyard view rather than a street view. Also, would avoid the restaurant. Food was OK but the service was lousy. We were one of only 4-5 tables and despite this we were virtually ignored by the wait staff. It didn't help that the owner of the restaurant was dining at the same time and the wait staff spent all their time with him rather than with the other customers...