Search

FIRST TIME TO MOAB

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIRST TIME TO MOAB

My husband & I are planning a visit to Moab this June 2007. We are interested in staying at the Sorrel River Resort/Ranch & are worried a 7 night stay might be too long. Would appreciate any suggestions/advice. Thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Hi Ally,

No 7 nights is NOT too long if you are outdoors people. Moab and the Natl Parks offer hiking, biking, rafting, horseback riding, off roading, and unlimited photography ops. You can even do some more extreme canyoneering if you choose.

I would not recommend staying at the Sorrel River the whole time. It's a long drive into town and to the parks from there and I think you would get really tired the drive out and back every day -- sometimes multiple times a day if you want to go out to dinner in town.

If you want a kitchen, you might want to look at the Gonzo Inn.

Have fun!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Hi Dayle, thanks for the advice! Not sure I have the nerve for canyoneering, much less the extreme version. Ha ha. One more question...we have heard some horror stories about the heat in June. Wondering if we should postpone our visit until Sept or Oct. or forge ahead as planned...
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 05:29 AM

I would vote for cooler. We were in Moab in July and I found the heat unbearable. It was 105. I think June can be extremely hot, too. If you have a choice, I would go with cooler temps. You will be able to do more outside - and that is the point of a visit to Moab!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:44 AM

7 days will be a bit much in my opinion but you could easily combine it with Capitol reef.When you travel between the two parks dont forget to visit the Goblins.Paul
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:05 AM

We were in Moab this past October for 3 days and stayed at Sorrel. We loved the hotel. It's a beautiful place. The one drawback is that its about a 30 minute drive to town and the parks. It gets to be a tiresome drive when, after a day out, you go back to the hotel and then drive back out again to go to dinner. I'm sure you're not going to want to eat every dinner at the hotel. If I were going for a week, I too would divide my time between Sorrel and another hotel in town.

October was the perfect time to go. Cool in the mornings and warm during the day. When we were out hiking we kept saying that we didn't know how people did all the outdoor activities in the heat. And besides, if you can go when it's less crowded, why not.

Have a great time. I'll never forget my southern Utah trip.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Hi again Ally,

Yes, June will be quite warm, probably in the 80's, maybe even 90's. It will not be as hot as July and August. Those months can get up over 100.

I wouldn't put off your trip to Sept as the temps will be about the same, but the daylight hours shorter.

As I said, 7 nights is not too long if you are active, outdoors people. That means doing more than just driving through the parks and taking pictures from the parking lots. If you like to hike, bike, raft, you'll be in heaven. There are plenty of easy and moderate of all for you to try!

If you think 7 nights might be too much, you could spend a couple at Capitol Reef, as the other poster mentioned.

With 7 days:

2 days in Arches, seeing and doing best hikes: Landscape and Double O, Firey Furnace, Delicate Arch

1 day Canyonlands, Island in the Sky & Dead Horse Point

1 day Canyonlands, Needles District OR a scenic flight (1 3 hrs) over Canyonlands with Slickrock Air out of the Moab airport. Fabulous!!!

1 day - 1/2 day float trip on the CO River, seeing the petroglyphs, and wandering the town, relaxing at the pool, OR a full day rafting trip with more exciting whitewater

1 day - hiking outside the parks and/or biking / or ATV trip

1 day - 4x4 tour OR a combo whitewater/4x4 trip

There you go. Some of the best 7 days you'll ever have!

Restaurants I like:

Poplar Cafe
Eddie McStiff's
Moab Brewery

Center Street Cafe (expensive and nice. Other people like, I had a poor experience)
Buck's Steakhouse (again, other people like, I thought it was like a Sizzler)

Have fun
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Dayle, thanks again. So nice of you to offer such detailed advice. We've been on a number of cycling vacations & definitely like to "get out there". Thanks for the inspiration!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:27 AM

Since you like cycling, and maybe want to try mountain biking, Moab is mtn bike nirvana. There are lots of companies in town that do "tours" and will rent bikes/shuttle/guide you. There are even some "easy" rides.

Now you're talking!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:12 AM

allyg, have you thought of renting a place? we're renting from this place for our trip in mid april.

http://moabutahlodging.com/
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi Maria, thanks for the link! We'll check it out. ally