First time to Hawaii (Maui)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Oklahoma. We were planning to visit to Florida for our 10th anniversary, but have switched to Hawaii after more research. I have been to Kauai, but it is my husband's first time ever to Hawaii so we have chosen Maui! We've booked our flight, a condo, and a jeep for 7 days/6 nights. What are some must-do's while we are there? We want to try a sport-fishing trip; has anyone fished there before? Have you driven the "Road to Hana"? Was it worth it? I have some restaurant reco's but would love more. We are open to anything.

Thanks!
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 10:02 AM
TAW

get the book "Maui Revealed" and read about things to do...
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 11:27 AM

We spent four days on Maui last year for my brother-in-law's wedding. Here's my trip report - we went snorkeling, visited Paia, drove to Hana, etc.
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...awaii-2014.cfm

Lee Ann
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 11:38 AM

For a first-time visit, I think a trip on the Road to Hana and up to the top of Haleakala are both must-dos. Beyond that it's what interests you. I enjoyed snorkeling in Molokini Crater, but it can be a mob scene. I loved Paia. I spent a day in Lahaina. I spent only two mornings at the beach ... one at Big Beach and one at Wailea (just using the public access and free parking) but to be honest I didn't love the beaches on Maui (though there are beautiful looking beaches). We did visit Kaanapali, but just dipped our toes in the water there.
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 11:47 AM

Been a few years since we were last on Maui, but having gone deep sea fishing our first trip to Kauai, one very important thing to know is that in Hawaii, the fish belongs to the boat, not you. My husband really wanted to catch an ono, which he managed to do. We were sharing the boat with another couple. When we got back to port, the skipper had called ahead to his wife and she gave us two frozen ono filets from their freezer. They were good, but they were not fresh nor were they ours. So something to look into before booking. Depends on the boat and captain.
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 12:26 PM

I learned what Jamie actually experienced when I researched fishing in Hawaii recently. That would leave a bad taste in my mouth after paying several hundred dollars, so if you decide to fish, check with the charter service. They may be willing to negotiate.

As for the Road to Hana, we've been to Maui several times, and haven't made it beyond half-way yet. To us, it seems like a waste of precious vacation time. So my suggestion would be to first drive the Kahekili Hwy from Kapalua to Nakalele Blowhole and if you like what you see and want more, then maybe try Road to Hana.

We've found our most memorable Hawaii vacation moments have nothing to do with something we've planned, so our "must-do" list typically includes only a few items: a sailboat excursion, snorkeling, smelling plumeria, Hawaiian music, and hula. The only one of those we really HAVE to plan is the sailboat. The rest just sorta happens as a result of being there.

Fave restaurants, in no particular order: Sea House, Barefoot Bar at Hula Grill, Leilani's, Merriman's, Mama's Fish House, Star Noodle, Monkey Pod, MiGrant, Coconuts.

Fave foods not always found it restaurants: poke, fish tacos, spam musubi (really!), loco moco, plate lunch.
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 04:46 PM

If you've only done the first half of RTH, you haven't done RTH and should keep you non opinion of what you've never experienced to yourself as it is a waste of time.
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 07:43 PM

If my "non opinion" about RTH is a waste of time, what would you say your opinion about my "non opinion" is?
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Half way to Hana is 90% of the experience.
I've done four round trips, have spent several nights in Hana.
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 05:21 AM

I'd release the jeep and get a compact car with a/c. (You don't need a 4WD, and they are very expensive.)
Go to Hana, and beyond, to Ohe'o Gulch ("sacred pool"); the scenery on and vistas from that side of the island are incredible. Bring a cooler and go all the way around, if you want an amazing day (start very early). (Halfway is not even 30% of the experience, IMO).
One of my favs is Haleakala in the daytime (love the different microclimates on the way to the summit); the colors late in the day (maybe sunset in a west-facing pullout?) are gorgeous.
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 06:01 AM

IMO your visit is too short to spend time doing things you can do elsewhere -- like fishing. (It will also be beastly hot out there, and the sea can be rough.) Day One will be largely adjusting to the time change, and no departure day is a full day either. Road to Hana is a 12-hour day if you do all the stops.

Haleakala's walk-in volcano is unique to Maui. Drive north to piney Kapalua and south past Makena to where Haleakala's last eruption left bare black lava running into the blue sea.

Take a snorkeling excursion to Lanai or along Maui's coast -- or snorkel from shore at one of Maui's many easy-access beaches. Maui is second only to Big Island of Hawaii in the quality of its' sea life. I would only take the first boat out to Molokini; it gets unpleasantly crowded, and early should be calmer both out and back. Do you want a big cat or a small, fast raft?

Will you attend a luau? Early booking gets you better seating. Old Lahaina Luau and Feast At Lele are the top luau in the state.

I agree about skipping an expensive Jeep -- hot, dusty, no secure storage. A cheap compact with A/C will take you everywhere you can drive -- unless you want to do the 'backside' of Haleakala (and your particular rental permits it).

You've visited Kauai, so you know that people choose Hawaii for the tropical paradise that is also a state. Enjoy Island Time and soak up some Aloha. No need to plan every minute. Happy Anniversary!
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 06:41 AM

logan, please explain how the first part of the RTH is %90 of the experience. I have stayed in Hana over a number of trips about a dozen nights. It has never been a waste of precious time. In fact it has always left me wanting more time in Hana.

My point Fin the Crowd, is how can you state something is a waste of time when you've got no first hand experience and have never been to Hana. I think most people coming here with questions are seeking real life experience opinions which you can't have one if you've never been to Hana. From my many experiences, the first half of the road barely wets your lips to the road beyond.
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 08:38 AM

Inakauaidavidababy, the questions were, "Have you driven the "Road to Hana"? Was it worth it?" I answered both pretty clearly didn't I? I'm curious though, what about the last half of RTH is so distinctly different from any other part of Maui to warrant spending a full day in the car?
Old Apr 27th, 2015, 05:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been to Maui several times and have never done the Road to Hana. I do not want to be in a car for an entire day of my vacation. So for me, I know it's not something that would be "worth it." That being said, I know many people consider it a "must do." I think someone like FaceInTheCrowd, who has at least done some of the drive to Hana has just as much right to his or her opinion than someone who has done the entire drive.
Old Apr 27th, 2015, 07:01 AM

We did the Road to Hana in 2009 - we drove past Hana to Oheo Gulch (Seven Sacred Pools) and then back the same way. I thought the drive was wonderful and exhilarating (we were in a convertible which I had never been in before). We did it on our first day on Maui, got an early start with barely any cars on the road, and it was just a really great experience. There are lots of picturesque views, especially at the Keanae Peninsula. We came across many waterfalls too and the black sand beach before Hana was really cool. We drove slowly through the town of Hana but I will make it a point to stop there when we do RTH again. The seven sacred pools was a wonderful place to stop and splash through some water. I had friends who did the hikes around there as well (including a bamboo forest).

I found the RTH to be very different from the rest of Maui especially if you're staying at one of the many resort areas with shopping and dining everywhere. RTH had a lush green feel, and it can rain at any time. There are steep cliffs, and the views are amazing. I thought it was a wonderful way to get a glimpse into the lush tropical side of Maui since the rest of it is quite glitzy and built up now. The drive is a little harrowing at times one - lane bridges, and sharp hairpin turns...but my husband drove and he said it was ok.

FYI I am a city girl, grew up in NYC...so Maui and esp the RTH was really a new experience for me. That was 6 years ago...we've been back to Maui twice since that trip and I still absolutely treasure the RTH as one of the more memorable Hawaii experiences I've done.

Read about it here: http://sulynnchen.com/travelblog/?p=31

As for restaurant recs, do you like more high or low end? Some of our favorites (note some are take-out places):

Da Kitchen, Star Noodle, Monkeypod Kitchen, Kihei Caffe, Paia Fish House, Honokowai Okazuya, Honokowai Fish Market, Aloha Mix Plate, Honu, The Gazebo.

Finer dining at Mama's Fish House, Merrimans, Lahaina Grill.

Lots of new restuarants keep opening too... enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 28th, 2015, 10:58 AM

I loved the road to Hana and Hana itself. It is a day-long trip, so you just have to be ready for it. It can get exhausting but the views are beautiful
Old Apr 28th, 2015, 11:10 AM

I would also say: "Go with an open mind." Read "Maui Revealed" and be prepared but also keep yourself open for spontaneous trips to the beach and eating at places not highlighted in travel guides. We stayed in South Kihei, but the three Kamaole beaches, #II to be precise. I loved Lahaina too, but we enjoyed driving around to Makena and Waimea.
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

I wanted to write a follow up and THANK EVERYONE who gave me recos for our trip. Maui was absolutely fantastic! We stayed in Kaanapali and took day trips to explore Lahaina, Wailea, Paia, and of course, Hana. We chartered a deep sea fishing boat and my husband caught a Blue Marlin!!! It was unbelievable! I made a short video of my go pro footage and you can watch it here: https://youtu.be/Y3XvnZ54Ko8

Our trip to Hana was QUITE an adventure! Even though we went on a Wednesday, the tourist traffic was pretty annoying BUT we did use Maui Revealed's suggestions to help us pick which falls to stop at and which places to skip over. I will say, if you are into hiking it is def worth it. Such diverse terrain. We hiked to hidden falls in ankle deep mud and vines, explored the black lava formations and hidden caves in Wai'anapanapa State Park, and ended up in Ohe'o at the sacred pools. Unfortunately the pools were closed to swimming that day, which gives us another reason to come back. Our final hike on the trails near the pools, took us through the most amazing bamboo forest I could have ever imagined and to Makahiku falls. We were one of the last cars back heading back in to town and let me tell you the drive back from Hana in PITCH BLACK is not for the faint of heart. Ha!

Overall, we would recommend the Road to Hana and will def drive it again someday. But to truly experience it you have to have a little thrill seeker in you!
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 11:13 AM

THANK YOU for returning to report on your trip! Aren't you glad you decided to visit Hawaii? Have you started planning your next visit? LOL
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 01:44 PM

BR Roby, ditto the thanks! Could you be more specific about where the bamboo forest is? We drove the road to Hana maybe 30 years ago (maybe more) and despite having been on Maui 5 or 6 times since, have not done it again. Maybe this November.