Search

Trip Report from end of April

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report from end of April

A little late, here is my report back:

We had a wonderful 4 day trip to St. Louis, did not rent a car, did not need one. The one time we probably would have needed to taxi, we instead got a ride from stokebailey on this board, so very trusting and generous of her, and so appreciated by us!!

We arrived Wed. night, took the metroline from the airport (being optimistic it would work, bought 1 week metroline passes so we could easily get on and off all week) and checked into Parkway Hotel. A quick and safe walk just a block or two found us having a small late night meal at Wildflower Restaurant, dining outside on a lovely evening.

I don't recall Thurs. morning but in the afternoon we went to a baseball game, took the metroline which was clean, comfortable, and ran on schedule. We were delighted!

Thursday evening we went to one of the Storytelling Festival events which actually ended up being our favorite event of the festival. So double thanks to stokebailey for helping us enjoy one of our favorite parts of our trip!

Friday morning we went to another storytelling festival event at the public library, again taking metroline. It turned out to have been mis-billed as an all ages event but was most definitely a kids event; we enjoyed staying for the first storyteller anyway, but then changed plans and used the time to walk over to see if we could go up the Arch several hrs. earlier than the tix we'd bought online. On our way we passed an inviting café, the name of which I forget, and stopped to share a yummy piece of butter cake and some iced coffee.

When we got to the Arch it was no problem at all, so we did that first, and then we went back to the courthouse where we'd gotten the tix changed, to look around a bit. Enjoyed all of that, and then used the metroline passes to get on a bus to take us just a couple blocks from Bogart's, where my husband really wanted to go for barbeque. And much to my delight, in those couple blocks walking from the bus stop, we passed the Soulard Farmers Market...I'd wanted to go there, but had let go of it as it didn't seem we'd have time. We had no idea that's where it was! The barbeque at Bogart's was absolutely delicious, and then I got some wonderful tea and spices at the farm market while dh got some baked goods and fruit.

Instead of taking a bus back to town, we decided we could use to walk off some of the eating, so we walked back to the metro stop by the ball park, and took the metro back to the hotel from there. Rested up a bit, and then enjoyed the free admission to the Art Museum for our evening activity! This is actually much more packed in activity than we usually do, we're most often very slow travelers. But we were only there a short time and were really enjoying it all.

Saturday was our botanical gardens day - loved every minute, so beautiful. On our way up the Arch we'd actually found ourselves talking with a couple of women from Israel who worked at the botanical gardens (I believe in Jerusalem) and who were in for an international conference for those working at botanical gardens. They too were very impressed, which I guess says even more than our being very impressed

Saturday night we metrolined again to the Touhill Performing Arts Center (the metroline took us literally just steps away) for the grand finale of the storytelling festival. And then Sunday morning we were off to home!

The hotel was perfectly located for us, and offered free popcorn daily and free cookies from 5-7 or something like that. Room was clean, bed comfortable, staff friendly and helpful. They also had a shuttle that went within 5 miles of the hotel, if you reserved ahead - we used it to go to the art museum.

I think it's too bad people discourage use of the public transport in St. Louis. I feel compelled to say that it was impossible not to notice that there were very few white people other than us using it, except for right before and after the baseball game. So I can't help but wonder if race is a reason that some white people discourage use, which would really be a shame, for many reasons.

In any case, we had a very lovely long weekend in St. Louis, and easily could have filled even a couple more days with activities we didn't get to. Thanks to all who helped us plan our trip!
Old Jun 4th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and I forgot to mention, but want to be sure to, in case others read this for suggestions for their own trips - at suggestions from those here as well as friends of ours, we also walked over to the Basilica on Lindell Blvd. in between some of the other activities. We were glad we did, that was really different with all the mosaics, and beautiful!
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 06:52 AM

go_laura:

Thanks for your report. Glad that you had such an enjoyable time.

We always take the Metroline to the airport when we fly. You can leave your car for free at their long term parking. We also use it for any other events that we can easily get to. My only complaint is that unless you are lucky enough to get the front seats your luggage is a bit awkward to handle. I think it depends on what time of day that you ride as to the mix on board but you are correct that it is always heavily ridden by non-whites. If you are a little nervous it is suggested that you sit toward the front directly behind the driver.

All the best.

Sandy
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 07:23 AM

go_laura, glad you had a good time in St. Louis and that you found the Parkway Hotel to be a good choice (I think I was the one who suggested it on your other thread). You really packed a lot into a weekend. So glad you found Bogarts. which really is the best barbecue in town.

Just an FYI to anyone looking for information on St. Louis. it's MetroLink (not metroline), and it really has a limited range.

http://www.metrostlouis.org/PlanYour...MetroLink.aspx

I grew up in NY and go back to visit my parents often, so I really do know what good public transportation can offer, and IMHO St. Louis doesn't have it. I do have friends that regularly commute to Barnes hospital and a law firm downtown via MetroLink, so it is used by "whites". This is not the place to have a big conversation about race in St. Louis. See all Michael Brown reporting for that.
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Liz5959, thanks for the correction of metrolink, not metroline. My memory apparently can no longer handle a month's time gap And yes, you suggested the Parkway, and it was such a better choice for us than where we were originally going to stay, so thank you so much!