First time to Hawaii

Search

First time to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to Hawaii

My husband and I are planning a week long trip to Hawaii and are considering Oahu since it is our first trip to Hawaii. We are looking at staying at the JW Marriott and taking a few day trips to Waikiki. After reading some of the posts, I'm wondering if staying a week on Oahu is too long. Would Maui be a better choice? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. We are interested in R&R, shopping, good restaurants, & activities for our 6 yr. old son.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 09:13 PM

Personally, I would stay at one of the neighbor islands on a first time trip with a six year old. Oahu is fun and there's plenty to do but I think the more tranquil beach atmosphere of the other islands would be relaxing and more enjoyable for your son. Some of Oahu's attractions are better appreciated by preteens and teens such as Pearl Harbor, the Punchbowl, and the Bishop Museum. Which is not to say you wouldn't have a good time in Oahu. You would, but I'd save that for a future trip and do Maui or maybe the Big Island now. There are a number of excellent resorts on both islands with plenty of activities and lots of natural beauty to enjoy. And many have good children's programs too, so you can enjoy a morning of snorkeling, tennis, or whatever, knowing your son is having fun at his day camp.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:24 AM

I actually think you're better off spending a week in Waikiki with a child. There's a lot of shops and activities for kids, versus the outer islands which are more for relaxing and couples-stuff.. I spent one week in Waikiki and loved it. Take a tour of Diamond Head, then go out on the trolley to see Downtown Honolulu and the University of Hawaii.. It's pretty cool, plus the great beaches..
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 05:55 AM

We stayed in the North Shore of Oahu for 4 days and spent the last day in Waikiki. I think you'll have a better time outside of Waikiki. It's too busy, and I didn't relax much there at all. I think a six year old would have a lot of fun at Waimea Falls park. They have great kids activities and lots of ambience for the grown ups.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 08:27 AM

The Maui Marriott with a 6 year old would be good. I think for your first visit you might enjoy Maui more than Oahu but it's all a personal choice. Have taken my kids to Maui twice once 3 & 7 stayed at the Hyatt on and then in Nov 8 & 12 stayed at the Marriott. We all had RnR and a good time. Lots of shopping and restuarants close by in Whalers Village or Lahaina. Lots to do on Maui.

Whichever island you choose you'll have a great time. It's beautiful in Hawaii.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 10:36 AM

I think you'll be fine, a week on Oahu is not too long. Since you're staying at the JW, it'll be quiet and relaxing. When you want something more lively, just head into Waikiki. Lots of good restaurants on Oahu.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 02:02 PM

I also think there is plenty to do on Oahu for a week. A 6 year old won't care if he/she is on a neighbor island or in Waikiki, the kid will just be thrilled to be having fun with mom and doad around the pool or at the beach!

Definitley go into Waikiki at least once. The zoo and the aquarium are located near each other, are cute and manageable, and a fun way top spend a few hours.