Reload this Page >

First time to Charleston

Search

First time to Charleston

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Dave

First time to Charleston

My wife & I are contemplating a trip to Charleston, she's fascinated by it and I'm an agreeable sort. How many days should we plan on in order to see the major sites, enjoy the city, etc. comfortably? And, of course, any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 04:17 PM
d.embody

Charleston is a beautiful city and I think you would have a wonderful time there. I would plan on a minimum of 3 days, and there is so much to do there.The historic district, the battery, and the harbor cruises are among favorite things to do. My first stop would be to the visitors center. My favorite hotel in Charleston is the Courtyard downtown. It isnt your typical Courtyard by Marriott, and it is right on the river next to a beautiful marina. If you stay there be sure to ask for a room facing the river. California Dreaming is a resturaunt is directly accross the river. It is very good and has lovely views. Have a great trip.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:32 PM
Marisa

My husband and I spent four days in Charleston in June. We had a great time. We stayed at the Vendue Inn and I would highly recommend this hotel. Great service and amenities. The Library at Vendue restaurant is wonderful too. This hotel is centrally located and in walking distance to many fine restaurants, Waterfront Park, the Market and shops. The trolley stop is out front of the hotel to take you to the Aquarium, Visitors Center, Marina, Museums, Battery Park and other locations around Charleston. We enjoyed the tour of Fort Sumter, sailing in Charleston Harbor aboard "The Pride", ghost tour, trips to Drayton Hall and Middleton Place. Our favorite restaurant was Magnolia's. Charleston is a wonderful city. Enjoy!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:50 AM
dan woodlief

I would plan on an absolute minimum of 3 days. 4 or 5 would be much better. In four days, I went on three house tours, spent some time on the beach, visited Ft. Sumter, Patriot's Point, two plantations, and walked all over the historic district. We also had time for a few hours of shopping. The food there is fabulous. Charleston is a place that will surprise you with how interesting and fun it can be. You might want to take a look at my lengthy travelogue at www.oneeyed.homestead.com.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:07 PM
kate

My son is a senior at the Citadel, so after 3+ years I can tell you that Charleston is a wonderful city. The atmosphere is wonderful, great restaurants, and so much to see and do. If you wait until Sept to visit, be sure to stop by the Citadel on Friday afternoon around 3:45 for a great parade. Have a great time!

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Mary

Kate.........We are going to be in Charleston at the very end of August....really want to see the parade......missed it last year. Will there be one on the last Friday in August...August 31st. I hope so...