Notices

First time on a Cruise!

Old Jan 4th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time on a Cruise!

My wife and I will be leaving on our first Cruise out of Miami for a week in the Caribbean stopping in San Juan, St. Maarten and St. Kitt on the Celebrity Eclipse.

I would appreciate any suggestions while on board and when we are in the locales.

We will be celebrating both our 46th wedding anniversary and my birthday so anything to make it really special would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 07:47 AM

Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts
You should re-post this on the Cruise and/or Caribbean forums . . . .
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 08:06 AM

Congrats on the anniversary, birthday, AND the first cruise! Take janisj's advice and repost~you'll get more replies.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 04:38 PM

On your special nights make dinner reservations at one of the ship's specialty restaurants.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 04:53 PM

Another great forum for cruising is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/
Very friendly and you can find out anything you would ever want to know about cruising and ports.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 05:43 AM

If you like crowds enjoy the ship and local tours. I you don't stay on board and enjoy tranquility. You still have everything on the ship to do. In my experience the local tours will add about as much to your bill as the cost of the cruise.
I would get off on my own and enjoy the weather and the beaches. Maybe a local walking tour.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Book excursions through the ship. The ship will not leave a tour group that has been booked through the ship, but if you venture out on your own, and are late, they WILL leave you.
Plus, it has always been my experience that the best tours are offered through the ship. I'd definitely try to get on a catamaran ride or sail ride in St. Maarten. I think the vessels name we went on is America's Pride, but not sure. It was absolutely gorgeous, and worth every single penny! You can go online and book those excursions in advance, the most popular ones will fill up.
Also, you can preorder a birthday cake, and have it brought to you in the dining room one night....or an anniversary cake At least I know Royal Caribbean and Carnival do that.
Have fun and congratulations!!
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 10:19 AM

I don't necessarily agree on booking excursions through the ship. They are usually much more expensive than booking on your own.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 11:09 AM
cd

I agree with Connie about becomming familiar with CruiseCritic. Invaluable information! Check with Roll Call and ask questions of others that are on your same cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34 They will share with you what shore excursions they are taking and if they have scheduled something not offered by the Cruise Line, many times ask you to join them.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 11:19 AM

Shore excursions through the ship are def more expensive, but honestly on your first trip perhaps the safest bet, as working suggests.

Cruisecritic is a great resource. You can actually sign up for the pvt forum available to only peo who have booked as cruise already, & find folks from your specific cruise & make some acquaintances before you sail. Also a great way to meet more experienced cruisers who may set up some shore excursions you can join.

I LOVE cruises. Have fun!
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

I understand that this cruise will have either 1 or 2 formal evenings. Does this mean I have to wear a tuxedo or can I just wear a suit?

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 01:03 PM
cd

You can definitely wear a suit! You will see people on formal night in a tux, a suit and sport coat.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM

I understand that this cruise will have either 1 or 2 formal evenings. Does this mean I have to wear a tuxedo or can I just wear a suit?

You can opt out of formal nights completely. There is no requirement that you participate. There are many other dining venues on the ship, including specialty restaurants.