First time international traveler question

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking a trip to Moscow Russia in a few weeks, I have all of my travel documents in order my questions are. I will be flying into JFK from Minneapolis Minnestota, once I get off the plane at JFK what exactly is the proscess for me as far as getting on to my flight to Moscow..I am taking the same airline all the way through (Delta).. I just need to know exactly what and where I need to go as far as baggage questions, reticketing, customs, I am really nervous any help would be greatly appreciated.......
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:41 PM

You just go to the gate. They'll check your passport in Minneapolis. After that, leaving the US works exactly like domestic flights.
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:57 PM

I'm guessing you'll have to pull your passport out again when you board at JFK.
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:11 AM

Don't worry - it will be easy. They'll check your travel docs when you check in at Minneapolis and perhaps again at JFK, but that is no biggie. Luggage will be checked through. Just like taking a domestic flight with a connection.

It is the return flight where you have to go through immigration and customs. If your first US airport is your final destination, then you go through immigration, collect your bags, go through customs, and are on your way. Just follow the herd through immigration and customs. The vast majority of people on your flight will go through the process. If you have a connecting flight, after customs, you recheck your bags (there will be a desk right outside customs) and then head to your connecting flight. This may require a terminal change and a trip through security, but just follow the signs and you'll be fine.
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:27 AM

If the flight to Russia is the same as to other European countries, you will get your boarding passes in Minnesota - double-check at JFK which boarding gate, sometimes it can be changed.

Your luggage will be checked in all the way to Moscow - you do not get it in JFK. Baggage and customs will be in Moscow.