Reload this Page >

First time in Hawaii - Which Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 05:58 AM
steve

This will be our first trip to Hawaii and would like some advice on which Island(s) to visit. We will only have a week in mid September. The two items that are a must for us at this point would be a trip to a Volcano and an Helicopter ride. Other than that, we are wide open and will probably rent a car and just enjoy the beauty of the Island. Other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks........

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 06:09 AM
ellie

The only live volcano is on the big island, Hawaii. Dormant volcano's are on Maui and Ohau (maybe others that I'm not aware of). Hawaii would be a great choice, fewer tourists than Ohau, black sand beaches, Volcano National Park, sea turtles, with a variety of landscapes from desert to tropical. I would not stay in Hilo because it rains more often there. Kona would be the better choice.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Tammy

I would say if you must see a volcano then the big island would be great. We however enjoyed Kauai the best-had a wonderful helicopter ride there and enjoyed the lush beauty of the island. Either way you will love it!

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 03:00 PM
Melissa

Steve, you probably want to stay a couple of days on the Big Island (Kona side) for the volcano visit. The better helicopter rides are on Maui and Kauai, because those two islands are so much more lush & scenic.

Oahu (where I live) is full of "action," but if you're looking to get away from it all you will probably like Maui or Kauai best.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 07:22 PM
Donna

Steve - Before your helicopter ride be sure to take Dramamine or anything for motion sickness. Also try to sit in the front with the pilot. My husband and I ended up in the back seat and he got so sick he could not enjoy the beautiful scenery. It is a wonderful trip - just prepare for it! We also enjoyed driving the Hana highway. Buy a picnic basket and rent the cassette tape that talks you through the ride telling you where to stop to see the sights along the way. You will really enjoy Maui! We also enjoyed the live volcano and walking out to the lava flow on the Big Island. That is a must see. We only spent the day there and I wish we had arranged to see the lava flow at night. I heard it is spectacular. Have a wonderful trip.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 07:32 PM
Karl

Doctor Donna should have said "...consider taking Dramamine..."
Helicopter rides don't bother everyone and Dramamine really bothers some people.