Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First in Flight... (Flying for the first time)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In about two weeks, on June 9, I'm going to get on a plane at Asheville Regional Airport, fly to Charlotte and change planes there, then fly on to Little Rock, Arkansas to see friends and enjoy the delights of a small city where 142-degree water bubbles up out of the ground.

On June 14, I'm getting on a plane in Little Rock, flying to Charlotte and changing planes there, then flying home to Asheville.

Sounds fine and good doesn't it? Problem is, I've never flown before. I don't know where to go, what to do, who to talk to, how to stand, what to wear, how to tango... all the usual things you need to know to successfully climb aboard a pressurized metal silo and violate every known law of physics as it gets of the ground and goes somewhere at a very high rate of speed.

Can anyone help? Tips would be appreciated, or if anyone knows of some old threads to dredge up for me to read, I'd appreciate that too.

How early do you need to get to the airport, how do you find your gate, what do you do with your luggage, how does a luggage carousel work, how do you conjugate French verbs...?

I have so many questions. Help!
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:41 AM

Well I think the first thing you need to know is that flying does not quot;violate every known law of physics". It doesn;t violate any laws at all. It's very basic science - people designing planes know exactly how it works and why planes fly. No mystery.

And the fact that you add this to the list makes me think that your real concern is not where to stand in the ariport - but a fear of flying. I encourage you to look into doing something about that - a class of some type is the best place to start - before your flight. so you enjoy it - rather than suffer in silence - or even find you can;t fly.

As for your other questions:

Call your airline and they'll tell you when you need to be there for your flight

When you get to the ariport there are sing for everything - the check in desk, security ligh (which you couldn;t miss anyway) and to the gates.

You really don;t need to worry about this - airports are set up for people who have never been there before - because many passengers have never been to that one beore - and the details are all different in each one

As to what to wear - anything comfy but not too sloppy. I always reco that women not wear skirts or dresses and do wear flat shoes (both big helps in case of any unexpected events)

And on the plane do take the instructions on always wearing your seat belt very seriously - the most people on planes are hurt (usually minor injuries) because they don;t bother and get bounced around in turbulent air

Hope this helps - and do look into fear of flying info.
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:16 AM
Singletail

If this is for real and you've NEVER seen any movies or TV programs that had anysort of flying sequences in them????..hmmmmmm
FORGET about reading "fear of flying" info....it is like riding on a bus that flies basically and very well could be smoother than any bus you've ever ridden.

Old May 28th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Poster 1 -- thanks for your tips. I'm aware that flying is perfectly acceptable to the physics police. I was being sarcastic, in hopes of perhaps engendering some good will from anyone who might be inclined to answer. In case you took the rest of it seriously as well, I do not wish to learn to tango before I fly, and I still retain some residual high school French in that I can successfully conjugate most verbs.

Poster 2 -- Yes, this is for real. However, I've always found it more sensible to disregard most anything you see on TV or in the movies. It does not help that nowhere in any television show or movie have I ever seen anyone fly from Asheville to Charlotte to Little Rock, but perhaps if I had, it would have been helpful.
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

To Everyone Else --

I'm flying on June 9. Asheville to Charlotte to Little Rock.

I'm flying back on June 14. Little Rock to Charlotte to Asheville.

I don't know how to fly. Please help me change this before I go. I'd like to not look like a complete fool if at all possible.

(Since we seemed to have a breakdown of communications with my original post.)
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:49 AM

Assuming this is a legitimate post...

You must be flying USAir on this route. Asheville is a small airport, and you'll be flying a small turboprop to Charlotte; and then connecting to a regional jet to Little Rock.

Since Asheville is small, and there are only about 30 seats on your first flight, you don't need to get to the airport particularly early. Also, you can check-in online at usair.com within 30 hours of your departure, and print your own boarding passes. That means you don't need to stop at any counter in the airport. Have the printed boarding pass in hand and a picture ID, and head straight to the security area. Do check what gate your flight is departing at. I'd arrive in Asheville about an hour before departure.

As for luggage, if you have large pieces (larger than 22" roller), then you have to check them at the check-in counter, and pick up at the baggage claim area in Little Rock. If you have only 22" or smaller, then you can take them through security. However, since you're taking small commuter planes, at the door of the plane, you'll have to have them "gate-checked", and pick up your luggage IMMEDIATELY at the door of the plane when you get off FOR EACH LEG. You can bring a purse or a really small bag with you onboard.

At Charlotte, check the departure information on the monitors and find what gate your Little Rock flight is departing at. That may have changed since you check in, so the gate information on your boarding pass may be old and incorrect.

Don't attempt to bring any knives or weapons with pass security. If you must take knives, then put them in the suitcase, and have them checked through to Little Rock.

BTW, you're flying on small planes - which means cramped and noisy. Therefore, forget about "who to talk to, how to stand, how to tango". None of those apply. As for "what to wear", just don't show up naked.
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:01 AM

haunted,
I recently took my first international flight and had many of the same concerns that you do. I found that when I got to the airport is was much easier than I had anticipated to figure out where and when I needed to be in a specific area.

If in doubt, simply ask any airline employee, if you don't like the answer you get, ask someone else. No one should be bothered by your questions, I saw several people asking airline employees questions during my trip and 95% were courteous and helpful.
Happy trails!
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Haunted,
I thought I would help a fellow Asheville-ian out. Asheville Regional is so small that you will feel very little intimidation. It's not as if you will have to scramble to find your gate. They could point in the general direction and you probably would be fine. Don't worry about standing out. Everyone is so caught up in their own little thing so they won't notice that you are a newbie. Charlotte is much bigger, but still pretty tame by airport standards. While the fear is in you mind now, you will quickly see that flying is really easy. The first time I flew, my flight was cancelled. I got put on a different airline. My connection was messed up. Still, all in all, no big deal. Any airline employee can get you headed in the right direction and if they think you're goofy for not knowing, it's their problem and not yours. I'm heading to California myself here in a few weeks. I hope you emjoy yourself as much as I anticipate that I will. Don't worry, you'll be fine.
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:51 AM

Security; dress comfy and if possible, wear garmets with absolutely NO metal, as in snaps, zippers, hooks, buttons, trim, etc. and that includes undies! No metal jewlery, hair pins, belt buckles, etc.
I take in a ziplock bag, flipflops or scuffs to wear through detector while my shoes are xray'd so I don't have to touch bare feet to the floor. Yes, they may even check you bare feet.
I organize my clothing in clear plastic so security can see what is in my bag with out touching or disorganizing my neatly folded necessities. I buy razor blades, mouthwash, shampoo, etc when I arrive, and leave any left with friends.
I never fly with out my microbio alchohol wipes so I can clean my hands, the plane tray, anything I must touch, and a scarf for the back of the seat. Don't use their pillows or blankets.
Take your own food.
An ID/ticket holder around neck is so helpful for hand free and ID handy at all times without fear of loss. www.ebags.com
Sure I have more, ask away!
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:21 PM

A small tip to keep you from looking like a first-time flyer ... items you do not place in the overhead bins can be placed under the seat IN FRONT of you. The first time I flew, I assumed my underseat space was under MY SEAT ... wrong! I was pretty embarrassed when another passenger sat down in the seat behind me and pointed out my mistake ... and I had to get up and drag my CAT (in carrier, of course) back out from under the seat.

Also, 2 more small tips:

Don't stand up unless you are in the aisle, unless you want to conk your head on the overhead bins.

Don't try to polish your nails on the plane. I mistakenly tried this once to pass the time. It took about 2 seconds for another passenger to smell my polish, flip on their light to summon the flight attendant, and have me reprimanded (fire hazard)!

Try not to worry. Flying is fun!

Old May 28th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your tips everyone! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon.

I've heard however, about things like toiletries and such bursting at altitude due to the pressure. Would that be a problem perhaps with prescription medicine bottles? I have about five prescriptions I need to take with me, and of course I'll have them with me in a carry-on tote bag, which I'll probably have stuffed full of other stuff.

Again, thanks for all the great tips! Hopefully I'll actually be able to get excited about this instead of just being nervous.
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:46 PM

if liquid, or pills, I place in ziplock. You can also wrap liquid medicine bottle in plasticwrap, before, placing in ziplock, the tighter the lid, the less loss if there is a leak. Arrange you bag so that they will at all times remain upright. I haven't had anything leak for years, the lids seal much better these days.
Don't say anthing contraversial....
Smile, please & thank you to the staff.....oh, and skip perfumes til after arrival.....
Most important, Have Fun!
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:23 PM
OliveOyl

dwoodliff, lol...either you or Dan needs to change your name! I was reading your post assuming it was Dan writing until I came to the part about painting your fingernails.

hauntedheadnc...congrats on posting this. You've written (very well) for ages and the assumption was you could go anywhere with ease. I'm sure it wasn't easy to be so up front about that. After this trip, it'll all be a snap. You are so bright, this won't be difficult. As my Mom said about cooking, "If you can read, you can cook". Some might argue with that, but basically she was right. Likewise with flying. It is all spelled out so well it is idiot proof. Signs lead you everywhere in the airport. You are told what gate your flight leaves from when you check in and from there on out, you just follow signs: signs to security, and signs to the gate. Don't forget your photo ID. You'll need it when you check in for the flight, and possibly for some checks later on. They'll ask--it's not anything you need to know to present. Just have it ready at least through security if they need to see it.

Going through security you'll put all your change, cell phone, pager, purse, anything you are carrying and anything that might trip the sensors in the bin provided. Most jewelry and watches are fine worn. I have an occasional belt buckle that won't make it through and you won't know until you try to pass through with it on. If it fails it fails, no big deal, no one says boo...just take off your belt, back up, and go through again. As a matter of course now, I take off my shoes and put them in the bin as well, as many have metal in the soles. Carry-ons need to go onto the conveyor to be screened. This is just picayune stuff. Don't worry if you don't get it quite right. Few of us do these days and no one will bat an eyelash...except for you. It happens all the time and there are employees there to help if you have any questions. You may be singled out to be searched--wanded and carry on scrutinized. Don't worry--it's done randomly and can happen to the 80 year old lady as well as to the young male adult--it is no reflection on you.

If noises on the plane concern you, just look at your flight attendants. If they go on chatting and smiling, you know that it is nothing to be concerned about.

I put all toiletries that might leak or break in a plastic bag (such as what the newspaper comes in) then in my carry-on. If anything happens then, at least my clothes won't be a mess. I've never had anything burst, although moisturizer, sunscreen, shampoo bottles may be squished in some. If they are in a plastic bag there are no worries no matter what happens. Don't pack breakables in your checked luggage--they are not exactly handled with kid gloves. Neither should you pack jewelry, cameras or valuables in baggage to be checked. All prescriptions should be in your carry on, lest the unlikely happens and your checked luggage is lost. Should that happen by the way, it almost always is found quickly and delivered to you by the airline.

I'm going through the same turmoil you are, but mine is in regard to train travel in Italy now...how will I know which train, which car, ticket procedure, where to put luggage, when to get off, etc. I too want to know in advance what I'm likely to face, so I really understand your apprehension. It's not that you aren't capable, it's just that you've never done it before so have no idea--not a comfortable place to be.

I hope you'll enjoy your experience and this will be the first of many trips. Please post back, let us know how your first flight went, and what your impressions were, OK? What you write is always delightful and we'll enjoy remembering our own first impressions vicariously through yours.

Old May 28th, 2004, 07:45 PM

All planes you're flying are pressurized to the equivalent of about 6,000ft above sea level. Things really shouldn't burst at that pressure level.
Old May 29th, 2004, 04:59 AM

Remember that your photo ID must be a Government issued ID. Your Driver's license will work fine. Your Work ID or school ID won't do.
Dress comfortably. Wear shoes that are easy to take off and put on, just in case they want to inspect your socks. Oh, don't wear socks with holes in them like I did once...very embarrasing.
I have never has a problem with a cantainer breaking due to pressure changes, but I have had shampoo spill all over my clothes because I packed poorly. Thus the advice about using plastic zip locks is good advice.
When you check in at Ashville ask the service rep if your checked bags will be checked thru to Little Rock or if you will need to get them at Charlotte.
When you arrive at Little Rock follow the signs to the baggage claim area and there will be monitors that tell which carousel will bring your things. The easy way to do this is to follow the passangers on your flight. They always seem to figure out which carousel we are using faster than I do. Your bags will appear on the carousel in short order (Hopefully). Just grab your bag, check the ticket number that the gate agent affixed to be sure it's yours (You will have a matching baggage claim mumber affixed to your ticket). If you have a suitcase that looks like everyone elses it's a good idea to tie a colorful ribbon or string to the handle for easy identification. Also, you have to have a name tag filled out and attached to your bag. Good idea to have your name and address inside the bag as well.

Good luck and have fun.
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:05 AM

HHNC, don't feel rained on. I was almost 50 before I took my first flight. No reason, just hadn't really needed to fly until that time....(can't drive to the UK).
Most of the nervousness was for the unknown, not knowing what to expect, but as one poster put it, airports are laid out with the unfamiliar traveller in mind (signs, people who answer questions for a living).
The actual flight was a little surprising...I wasn't prepared for the sensations of the experience itself. When the plane begins its take-off, the speed is remarkable, and it just increases until the plane is off the ground, then the sensation of speed disappears. On my flight, as soon as the plane left the runway, I could hear a loud whirring, rumbling under my feet, followed by an equally loud clunk. Concerned, until I realized I was sitting above the landing gear which was being retracted. Also wasn't prepared for the angle the plane takes just after take-off. Steep. The only other sensation during the flight was an occasional jolt caused by turbulence. First time it happened, I immediately looked around to see if anyone else had felt that...nobody was in the least bit concerned, which to me meant it was normal. After the first 15 minutes, it was time to just relax and catch some of the most incredible views imaginable out the window.
By the way, like the title of the post. Not sure most will get that the First in Flight is a reference to Kitty Hawk/Wright Brothers and that the line appears on the NC license plates.
Enjoy and post when you get back.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 08:13 AM

hauntedheadnc, since it's been over a month since your trip, I was wondering: how was your first flight? And, did Little Rock make a better impression on you this time around? I remember reading your very amusing posts on taking the Greyhouse there last year.

Cheers,
Maggi
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Well, the flight went fine, I'd say. Getting there was fun -- quite an amazing experience and it's a shame that something like that can become mundane for people who have to do it all the time. While connecting in Charlotte, I wandered around until I found the really gorgeous fountain they have out front. I had hoped to find a postcard with its picture but couldn't.

Now, Arkansas was a different matter. Little Rock's airport is much like the rest of the city in that it's tired, sunblasted, and brown. I did not have a good time because I was going down there to visit my boyfriend (you'd think I would have learned my lesson after last year), and essentially when all was said and done, I ended up paying more than $500 for the privelege of either being ignored for up to eight hours at a time or watching him sleep. We broke up and I've been in a serious funk ever since, which is why I didn't post anything. Too painful. We won't be getting back together like last year, because I am not an adherant of the baseball school of relationship thought (take 'em back twice then tell them to go to hell the third time).

I only got out of the hotel in Little Rock once and that was to go to a park near the Lake Murray dam, where I and a couple of my bf's friends watched copperheads eat dead fish from an observation deck at the dam. I would not call it an experience worth crossing half a continent for.

We did not go to Hot Springs, we did not go downtown, and we did not go shopping or anything else. I'd been wooed by grand promises of seeing Mt. Pinnacle, doing downtown, going to Hot Springs, and touring the city in search of haunted places. In the end I basically just sat in the hotel room, except for one day when I got desperate and walked two miles to a Barnes and Noble in 95 degree heat.

Coming back was a relief. I could think of nothing more than getting back, getting online, and finding a date. From the plane I looked out the window all the way from Little Rock to Charlotte and all the way from Charlotte to Asheville, seeing what I could see. On the approach to Asheville, I spotted my house, which was nice.

On another note, the flights there were uneventful. The flights back though, were turbulent and every time the plane plummeted before righting itself, I grabbed the seat in front of me for dear life -- and I don't think the lady sitting there appreciated that much. But more positively, the flight attendant's little mobile fridge was stocked with seltzer water, which I adore, and the pretzels were very good.

All in all, I'd like to do it again some time, especially if I can count on some lovin' at the other end. I sure didn't feel loved this time at all. Wish me luck with my next relationship or else I'll be on here unloading my sorrows again when I cruise to England aboard the Queen Mary 2 only to be ignored or find myself playing fourth or fifth fiddle there -- I mean after all, I've taken a bus and I've taken a plane. What else is left?
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:47 PM
bluestructure

Im glad your first flight experience went well. Arent you glad you flew this time instead of the greyhound? I bet you were glad to get home in a hurry and I wouldnt blame ya. Good to hear you dumped the jerk, hope you found a replacement online....hopefully in Paris 8-)

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 08:37 AM

"I've taken a bus and I've taken a plane. What else is left?"

How about a train? We took a train trip earlier this week. (Ours was a mid-vacation trip from Seattle to Vancouver.) I don't ever remember a trip that was as comfortable and pleasant.

There are comfortable, spacious seats, and plenty of room to stretch out or move around. You can keep to yourself, enjoy the beautiful scenery, sleep, talk on the phone, take pictures out the window, or talk to other passengers. I spent the whole return trip writing postcards. Walk a few cars down, and you can have a snack or be served a meal. It may take slightly longer than going by car or bus, but it's very comfortable -- I know I've said that 3 times -- safe, and (best of all) someone else is doing the driving! Before we got back, I was already trying to think of somewhere else we could travel by train.

Donna

P.S. -- I hope your next trip is better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -