first Hawaii trip - check out my crazy itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put together a tentative itinerary for my upcoming (first) trip to Hawaii in May and it ended up including four islands in two weeks which I realize is probably insane but I am having trouble narrowing down the list. (going to a wedding on Lanai so that one is definately in)

Day 1: fly into Honolulu, fly to Lanai
Day 2 – 4: beach, explore island with jeep
Day 5: Wedding
Day 6: breakfast at hotel, afternoon flight
to Hilo, BI, drive to Volcano
Day 7: Volcano park, evening hike to lava
Day 8: Volcano park cont., trip to Punalu’u
black sand beach
Day 9: drive to Hilo and fly to Kaui, stay
somewhere on south
Day 10: Interisland helicopter tour in
morning, afternoon drive to north
shore to stay
Day 11: north shore beaches, maybe hike part
of Kalalau trail
Day 12: north shore cont. catamaran tour?
Day 13: afternoon fly to Honolulu
Day 14: Honolulu/ Waikiki
Day 15: fly home afternoon or evening

I am afraid that this will be too much or that I can't really afford it (I'm a college student) but I am having trouble giving up either Kauai or the Big Island. So...

Is Kauai's beauty really unmissable? Or is the north shore of Oahu or somewhere else comparable?

Is the Volcano worth visiting if there is no lava to see?

BTW,have pretty much ruled out Maui because it sounds like all the towns along the coast (except Hana) are condos or resorts. I really like B&Bs and towns with character.

Thanks so much for all the advice! I promise a trip report when I get back!

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:43 PM

I have some alternative suggestions to save you some $$ as you mentioned that you probably cannot afford it.

I like Oahu the best because it has the most to offer. It is also the least expensive.

Maui does have what you want in towns with character. There are many B&Bs on all of the islands.

Try: www.vrbo.com for lots of options.

Also try a search for B&Bs:

B&B Oahu
B&B Kauai
B&B Maui
B&B Hawaii or B&B Big Island

If you were to stay on Maui, the ferry to Lanai is much cheaper to Lanai.

You could do four islands in two weeks with no problem. But, why? As a college student, you must be fairly young. Why not do Oahu and Maui with the side trip to Lanai for the several days you want?

Or just do Maui and Lanai?
There are flights that go directly to Maui from the mainland that would probably save you lots of $$.

The lava has been flowing constantly on Big Island for the past 20 years. It doesn't always flow into the ocean. Nor is it always visible even if you hike to the lava flow. The glow is always visible if you hike to it at night.

Also your flight itinerary may not be possible. I don't think there are direct flights to Hilo from Lanai or from Hilo to Kauai. Kona is the busy airport on the Big Island.

You have a lifetime of chances to travel ahead of you. Don't jam everything into two weeks.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:08 PM

It might help you if you take the long view and realize that this will probably be the first of many trips you will take in your life. I've been going for the past 30 years.

Extend your time on the Big Island and drop Kaua`i or drop the Big Island and extend your time on Kaua'i.

-Bill
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 09:42 PM

In planning such a "crazy itinerary" you're forgetting that you're going to Hawaii. Hawaii, you see, isn't about schedules, checklists, and maniacal rushing to see everything. Leave that for the herd-tourists on motorcoach tours of Europe who think they're getting their money's worth "seeing" 12 countries in 15 days.

You can certainly try to rush through such an itinerary, but in the process you'll miss Hawaii entirely. Think "laid back," "relax," and "Aloha." That's more like it.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 11:08 PM

Agree with all previous posts. First went to Hawaii 8 yrs ago, in my late 40s. I've been lucky and blessed to have gone 8 times. The point of sharing this with you is not to brag about my experience, but to humbly say that there's STILL loads more to see, places I look forward to. The first trip, I spent ten days on two islands (Oahu and Maui ) -- it was sort of an overview trip--where would i want to return, what would i want to skip?In retrospect, I wish I'd have stayed longer on either one or both islands. I didn't start to fall in LOVE them for a few days, after just feeling overwhelmed by that first sense of how much there is to do. This is what YOU should try to avoid--that feelng!
You have your whole life to see the islands. Don't try to do it all now!!!
I LOVE Oahu, for it has sooo much . Re: your question about comparing N Shore Kauai to another place, realize that all the islands have mountains, and a dry leeward side and a wet windward lush green side. It's the way the mountains seem to rise from the white sand beaches on Kauia that to me, makes the area so spectacularly beautiful and unique side (Rent "Body H" with Kathleen Turner, fast forwad to the end if you like, and you'lllsee her on Tunnels Beach on the No Shore).
on Lanai then divide the remainder between two, or even "just " one, island, to get a Personally, my suggestions would be Oahu and Kauai, but ANYWHERE would be lovely. Aloha, and good luck figuring it all out.
ps looking forward to trip report oin Lanai--that's one I've yet to get to!