first empty nester trip - Seattle?

Old Apr 20th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first empty nester trip - Seattle?

Thinking about a week long trip to Seattle and ONP, possibly including San Juan Islands. Thoughts on doable itinerary?
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 11:16 AM

Hello, I live in Seattle. It is a great place for a one week trip. Do realize that ONP is HUGE and San Juan islands take some doing to get to (drive/ferry/plane/etc.), so seeing all 3 in only 7 days is probably not the best approach. I'd pick one or the other, in addition to a couple days in Seattle proper to see those highlights.

You might want to post this on the US Forum as well. Many more people read that one, than this Travel Tips (which is a general catch-all kind of branch).
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 02:45 PM

If you want to hit all three places, I'd say you need two weeks, and there is enough to do/see you could stretch it to three weeks and not run out of things that interest you.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 11:14 PM

Iíll argue that it is possible- barely
Assuming 7 nights:
3 nights ONP
3 nights Seattle
1 night Friday Harbor (SJI)

If I was a tourist, Iím not sure Iíd want to do it. I like a more relaxed pace. I grew up in WA, though, and my father didnít get much time off, so we did similar trips growing up.

10 days would be better, 2-3 weeks would be ideal, if you think this is going to be your only trip to the PNW.
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 06:15 AM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by winterbreakfor5 View Post
Thinking about a week long trip to Seattle and ONP, possibly including San Juan Islands. Thoughts on doable itinerary?
When would this take place? Weather can play a role in the logistics involved.
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 08:27 AM

If going ahead with this idea, and no more time available, I'd propose it as: 2 Seattle, 3 ONP, 2 SJI instead. Reason being it takes time to get up to the islands. Seattle is a huge city but fairly compact as far as the main tourist attractions most people want to see. It could even be done in just 1 day for a quick overview visit, putting more of your available time for the natural beauty places.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thinking of late September - think we can squeeze in 8 or 9 days. Also, looking for lodging recs - especially in ONP. Like to come home to something very nice and comfortable after a long day of hiking. Thanks in advance for any recs!

Last edited by winterbreakfor5; Apr 22nd, 2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 03:27 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
In late September I'd start with Olympic NP; the later in the month the higher the chances of wet weather on the west coast (rain forests, beaches.) Olympic NP is not the sort of national park where you can easily choose one base and see things "hub-and-spoke" style; the key visitor areas are a long way from each other, with the drives between them fairly boring and featureless. I'd look at one night in Port Angeles in order to see Hurricane Ridge, then one each at Lake Quinault and around Forks in order to include the beaches and Hoh rain forest. The choices in that area are not terrific, so start your research right away.

What I'd probably do is something like this: https://goo.gl/maps/PdU1mqDQsTF2 . Start by going counter-clockwise around the Olympic peninsula, with overnights at Lake Quinault, somewhere around Forks, and Port Angeles. Then drive to Port Townsend and take the ferry to Whidbey Island. Visit Deception Pass (scenic channel between Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands) then drive to Anacortes to catch the ferry to Friday Harbor in the San Juans. Finally return to Seattle via Whidbey Island (Coupeville and Langley are very cute towns) and the ferry to Mukilteo.

Here's a possible 9-day timetable.

1. Seatac to Lake Quinault; explore Quinault Valley rain forest
2. Lake Quinault to Forks via Ruby Beach (near Kalaloch) and the Hoh rain forest. Hike the Hall of Mosses trail at a minimum.
3. Forks to Port Angeles via Rialto Beach (near La Push), and Lake Crescent.
4. Port Angeles to Anacortes via Hurricane Ridge, Port Townsend, Coupeville and Deception Pass
5. Anacortes to Friday Harbor
6. Day on San Juan Island
7. Friday Harbor to Seattle via Anacortes and Whidbey Island
8. Day in Seattle
9. Day in Seattle (fly in PM)
10. (Optional flying day)

With any fewer days I'd skip the San Juans altogether and spend a night or two on Whidbey Island. Stay in Langley or Coupeville and make day trips to Fort Casey State Park, Deception Pass, and La Conner (on the mainland.) If you want whale watching, there are services operating out of Port Townsend and Port Angeles.