First class passenger - what to wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is a black sweat suit outfit acceptable? does it matter what i wear?
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:08 PM

I don't think it matters in the eyes of the airline crew how you'll be dressed. If it's a plane full of business travellers, you might feel self-conscious. If that doesn't bother you, then I would dress to be comfortable.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:09 PM

the only thing that matters to me is if the person sitting next to me, whether I'm in first, business or coach, is that they are clean, their clothes are clean, and if they have smelly feet that they keep their shoes on ! Be comfortable. It's a personal choice.
If the black sweat suit was the kind I'd wear cleaning out my garage, I wouldn't wear it anywhere else - if it's a nice, black sweat outfit, and you are comfortable, that's all that matters.

I don't dress differently when I travel first, business or coach - I have a black Chico's pant & top 'travel outfit' I wear on longer flights, - I wouldn't happen to wear it anywhere else, it's one of those travel outfits that doesn't wrinkle, has hardly any waistband, etc - and on shorter ones where the 'comfort' factor isn't such a consideration, I tend to wear more fitted clothing.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:12 PM

I think only leather suites are allowed, black for men, pink for women. Or is it vice versa?

If you don't wear the above, you'll be downgraded to the cattle class with the difference mailed to you in vouchers to be used within a year.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:20 PM

Are you serious? Wear what you want as long as you don't smell.

Who cares what you wear whether you are in First Class, Economy, or in the cargo compartment?
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:50 PM
emd

where, oh where, is muffin when we need her.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:03 PM

You will see anything and everything of First class passengers, so wear whatever you like.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:23 PM
jetset1

With f.f. miles, you just about see everything, well, just like Las Vegas, now that I consider it.
Just don't do the giveaway "lucky me, I'm special and you are not" look as others make their way to the netherworld..
I find the frequent upper crust either avert their eyes entirely when the cattle come through the shoot, or maybe sip the Perrier thoughtfully as the few, the proud, and the survivors squeeze their bulging carry-ons by.
I have seen maybe just a few sort of openly stare with sort of a malicious glint in their eye, commanding the lesser tube travelers to wince with shame.
Then they will pointedly remind the apple and hip sections that they need not saunter forward to the first class lavatory. That's what the empty milk jug and the small funnel are for..

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:30 PM

jetset1 -- that is hillarious !!! but so dang true!
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:41 PM
jetset1

callalilli~ how about the days when they would share with the entire plane what gourmet treats were in store up front?
"After Bridgette hand dips your strawberries in chocolate, Philippe will serve a nice Pinot. We will then provide hot lemon hand towels for your pleasure, massage your rotator cuffs, and offer a selection of veal, lobster and pepper steak, or all three if you wish, because with the crazy fare codes, those dolts behind you paid a small country ransom just to breathe in your aftershave and Prada shoes."

"Those of you seated in other sections will enjoy a COLD bean quesadilla. Microwave fees are $5. Please use correct bills."

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:46 PM

As long as you're fully clothed no one cares.

(I did fly back from Japan some years ago when some of the local businessmen removed their suits - jacket AND trousers - apparently to keep them from being crumpled. Very odd to see all these little men wandering around the plane in their boxer shorts.)
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:26 PM

Just please don't be like a guy we saw in 1st class as we were hustled on towards the rear. He wore an all white suit, LOTS of gold necklaces, sunglasses (it was dark outside), and talked at the top of his lungs on his cell phone to his "agent" about his "upcoming concert."

Methinks thou toots thine own horn too much!
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:46 PM

I saw this on the Europe board just now . . . hilarious, Gardyloo!
Author: Gardyloo
Date: 06/21/2006, 07:57 pm
First-class passenger attire on select trans-Atlantic services - guidelines:

(Note - not all airlines offer first class any more, some offer "upper" class or business class as their premier cabins.)

American Airlines - Consult reruns of "Dallas" for outfitting guidelines. EXCEPTION - on LAX-LHR service (contract carrier for SAG), torn jeans and sunglasses. Two-day growth of beard on chiseled chin for male pax; velour track suit and YSL tote for females.

United Airlines - That "Sunday Best" outfit you hid during the visit from the bankruptcy court's auditors.

British Airways - Business casual, befitting of BA Executive Club members (average age = pischer) who are riding in FC because they used miles to upgrade business class tickets bought by their employers. Or using American Express 2-4-1 coupons obtained through serial shopping at Tesco.

Air France - Something suitable to go on strike in upon arrival. Must have sweater/jumper/scarf tied around neck. Gibberish/Franglaise leather coat is okay but awfully 20th-Century.

Lufthansa - Utilitarian and practical. Black is only permitted color.

Iberia - We don't care what you wear. Sit down and shut up. We'll bring you some food when we get around to it.

Air Canada - See United.

Virgin Atlantic Airways- Nothing that clashes with our cabin colour scheme. Oh wait - everything clashes with our colour scheme. Care for a massage? Ever met Sir Beard? Oh I have.

Swiss International Airways - Beige.

KLM - Wear what you like. Rimless glasses required, though. You'll have to wait till you're in the Jordaan before you can smoke that, though.

Northwest Airlines - First class? Northwest? Hahahaha.

Delta Airlines - See United.

Air India - Bare feet are allowed but passengers are cautioned not to step on under-seat mousetraps with unprotected toes.

Alitalia - It may be "Magnifica" class, but we know you only paid $33 for your ticket. No matter what you wear we will still be better looking.

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 07:00 PM

If its legal for the street; it's legal for the airplane.

Why the concern?

Of course if you are female, young, shapely, most men could make some suggestions.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 07:02 PM
jetset1

Faina~ Did you ever experience Aeroflot in it's heyday? Are the stories true? Do tell!

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 07:54 PM

I like the quote (not verbatim), a little bit applicable here, because you seem to care about what other people think acceptable (not necessarily a bad thing at all--wish more people cared or looked in a mirror before trotting out to meet the world). Anyway, it was said by a famous retired quarterback about the silly posturing and prancing in the end zone after a touchdown: "oh please, just don't act like you've never been there before!"
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 08:00 PM

We flew Aeroflot from Munich to Moscow on a ticket booked with Lufthansa. I swear the pilot was drunk - or something. The landing was the worst, by far, I've ever, ever, experienced, and the weather was just fine.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 08:49 PM
wow

Of course it matters what you wear! Everyday, Everywhere. "A black sweat suit
outfit" should not be worn Anywhere, Anytime. You're funny, Marksalot256... Have a great flight!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:26 AM
jetset1

In olden times, one would practice a move known as "craning", whereby the upper body elevates ever so slowly, and the eyes sought out the covered wagons laden with the goodies.

It was considered bad form to make eye contact with an attendant before "your row" was finally the chosen one.

One must never appear greedy or over anxious for the gift of the delicious offering.

I once had marveled at how proficient the soda cans were opened, the small metal tabs never breaking a perfect polished nail of the sophisticated expert disensing them.

How clever were the hairstyles, how impressive the wedding bands and coordinated bracelets. I felt inadequate for certain, being young and not experienced with mattifying makeup and humidity reducing hair products.

Years later, I do admire the professionals for their daily tasks and what must not always be a glamorous and stress free career, but still, I miss the days when it all seemed so magical..

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:38 AM
jetset1

Sometimes, a wee bit of envy ocurred, when a seatmate chose an entree which was inferior to your own. This was usually followed by a slow collection of small interesting bottles on their tray table.

Later, before the shrapnel from all meals were retrieved, one could begin airplane math. This meant careful calculation and a 90 degree head turn to ascertain how many others might be using the facilities.

I became somewhat adept at a mini makeover, emerging with a confidence that a good lip color could provide, and the relief that my hands might be germ free for an hour or so.

As I returned to my seat, I offered a benevolent smile to those who seemed surprised that my frazzled twin had seemingly disappeared.

Maybe they didn't understand that only 90 minutes prior, I had misplaced a bag(once almost leaving it in the rental car), and the experience of the "delivery after security", "aw, another girl traveler, everyone."
"Put your shoes on and move forward please" was behind me until the next journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -