Search

First and last Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2019, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First and last Trip

I want the perfect hotel and island for my first trip. I’m used to Mexico beaches. Great sand and beautiful water that you can swim in. Also beautiful pools with plenty of chairs and Palapa’s. I’m not an adventurer (72). I will take one or two tours of the island. So which island and which hotel should I visit.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Oh I’m on a quest to visit the 50 US States and this is my last one!!!
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 09:41 AM

Maui, the four Seasons.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 10:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They don't have palapas in Hawaii

What kind of hotel are you seeking (besides "perfect")? Do you want a large resort property? What kind of price range? Does it need to be beach-front? With a view? Condo or single hotel room?

Are you willing to rent a car?
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 11:32 AM

Also, what time of year? And how many nights do you have? That will help determine if you can do more than one island. You will need a rental car pretty much anywhere outside of Waikiki.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 11:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by suze
They don't have palapas in Hawaii
That's incorrect. A quick google search shows that Sheraton Maui has some palapas. I'd imagine that isn't the only hotel in Hawaii that has poolside or beach palapas.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 12:45 PM

OK ok... I stand corrected. Again. By tom42. I knew I should have said they are not as common, you don't see them on every single beach, like you pretty much do in Mexico. And palapa is a Spanish word so they may be called by a different name. Better? Now can we get back to suggesting an island?
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

More info

6 nights. Yes I would prefer on the beach. A full resort would be great. Will rent a car. Our son and family will be there also. July 2020. We are looking into The Disney Aulani.
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 06:55 AM

With only 6 nights you want to pick only 1 island. You have chosen Oahu, if you want to stay at Disney Aulani. Sounds like your trip is pretty much planned then!

What more can we help you with?
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd like to know why you think that Disney property is the perfect one for you. I ask because there may be others elsewhere that are similar and perhaps even better. Could your current choice have to do with the fact that your son and family will be there also?
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 10:38 AM

If you choose Oahu, I'd recommend staying right on Waikiki Beach at one of the iconic hotels there like the Moana Surfrider or the Royal Hawaiian. There used to be Sheraton Hotels, now owned by Marriott. So if you have any Marriott points, this would be a good place to use them. Personally, Kauai is my favorite island - we spend a month there every winter. Waikiki is a lively area with lots of options for dining. It's in the midst of a big city - Honolulu - so very different from the other islands, or even other areas of Oahu.

Note that the Disney Aulani is locate in Ko Ilina, a purpose-built resort community. It is located away from Honolulu, so if you want to visit places in Honolulu, you'll need to rent a car. Decide if that is what you want.
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 01:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How old are your son's children?